Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arambol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I've searched and this seems a different problem to those discussed.

MacBook Air 2010 running Mountain Lion.

When plugged into power it works fine. No problems

When on battery power it boots up but once on desktop it lasts about 60 seconds before the screen goes dark. It isn't off as there is a dull light coming from the screen but nothing is visible. Then after a few minutes the fans kick in.

If I press the power button once nothing. If i hold it down the screen flashes and it turns off and screen goes completely black. Off.

Sometimes if I try to restart it produces a deep beep with a gap inbetween. It's not just 1 to 5 beeps for bad RAM etc, its just beep, gap, beep, gap and continues. I counted upto 30 beeps before I held down the power to turn off laptop.

It's a worry. Any ideas?
Thanks guys.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've searched and this seems a different problem to those discussed.

MacBook Air 2010 running Mountain Lion.

When plugged into power it works fine. No problems

When on battery power it boots up but once on desktop it lasts about 60 seconds before the screen goes dark. It isn't off as there is a dull light coming from the screen but nothing is visible. Then after a few minutes the fans kick in.

If I press the power button once nothing. If i hold it down the screen flashes and it turns off and screen goes completely black. Off.

Sometimes if I try to restart it produces a deep beep with a gap inbetween. It's not just 1 to 5 beeps for bad RAM etc, its just beep, gap, beep, gap and continues. I counted upto 30 beeps before I held down the power to turn off laptop.

It's a worry. Any ideas?
Thanks guys.

Sounds like you have either a bad battery, or one that is incorrectly seated. Try re-setting the SMC first:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

If that fails to correct the issue, then take it to Apple....Remember that an Air 's battery should not be removed / serviced by you, but should be left to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.