Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Eli727
macrumors member

Macbook Air to older Cinema HD Display

Is it possible to hook up an older Apple Cinema HD Display (think its around a 2005 model, aluminum build, approx. 23" maybe) monitor to my new MBA 13"?

The monitor has a power adapter with it that looks to have a DVI input, a firewire input, and a USB input. (I didn't research before and I bought a thunderbolt to VGA connector, but then realized a minute ago that its not a second USB but a fire port input!)

Can I make this work? (Its just sitting around my office not getting use) HELP!

Thank you!
Eli727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

You need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.
Quote:
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:
Apple Online Store (or the physical Apple Store)
Monoprice
Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
from
Most common video interfaces on external computer displays and TVs

Common video interfaces on Macs and the appropriate adapters to connect to other display devices

Most common audio interfaces on external computer displays, TVs and the Mac
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
The above is correct, however, you will not need Dual Link unless it is a 30" screen, and the firewire is optional, as it just connects to a hub in the screen.

TEG
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Eli727
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
The above is correct, however, you will not need Dual Link unless it is a 30" screen, and the firewire is optional, as it just connects to a hub in the screen.

TEG
So what does the Firewire do?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:04 PM   #5
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli727 View Post
FireWire is handy for Video Cameras and external hard drives. Nothing for most people to worry about it.
TEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Eli727
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli727 View Post
Oh, ok , thanks. Wonder why its a connection for the monitor hookup. It was previously plugged in to that on my MacPro it was hooked up too as well.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
kakal364
macrumors newbie

MDP adapters

wow ! MDP adapters and cables
kakal364 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air