Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
The title is overdramatic, but seriously the Mac App Store is Lacking.

First off, I find it slow and sometimes completely unresponsive

Secondly, It is very hard to find Apps unless you already know what you want. Discovering new apps and promoting apps is not good.

Thirdly, I love some games, but the Mac App Store does not have a really good selection. How come Crysis 2 or Battlefield 2 are not there???

The iPad and iPhone have a much better App Store. I know this is because they are more popular products, but does anyone think the Mac App Store will grow?

I just started using the App Store in July, so I haven't seen it grow very much over the last few months. Someone who has see it since its release could give some really great comments on the growth of the Mac App Store so far.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Totally agree...Compare it to the built in software stories many linux distro's have and it is easy to tell a lot of things are missing...Then again, it is relatively new so maybe they just need more times? The games section I agree needs serious work.

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Totally agree...Compare it to the built in software stories many linux distro's have and it is easy to tell a lot of things are missing...Then again, it is relatively new so maybe they just need more times? The games section I agree needs serious work.

Even Windows Store is superior. Mac App Store fail.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not every app can or is willing to go through apple's rigorous and inconsistent approval process. I think all things being equal its pretty robust but clearly not every developer is willing (or able) to alter their apps just to get them into the app store

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I love the idea of the Mac App Store, but Google's Store is much better at advertising applications and discovering new ones.

I wish that the iPad, iPhone, and Mac Store could be combined. I think it is really stupid to pay .99 cents for an app on the iPhone and then pay another $10 of the Mac Store for the same app.

Like I said I think it is an awesome idea but unfortunately it is not a great store to look for applications. Even though there isn't that many apps on the Mac Store, there should be a better way to organize and discover new apps.

They didn't even update their featured section until last week. It had been the same stuff since the end of October. Once a month is not enough, it should be refreshed more often to present new apps.

COME ON APPLE!!:D

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Not every app can or is willing to go through apple's rigorous and inconsistent approval process.

Good point, I think that is a root cause of this and until this changes, the app store will stay the same (lackluster).

JaHull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
England
I wish that the iPad, iPhone, and Mac Store could be combined. I think it is really stupid to pay .99 cents for an app on the iPhone and then pay another $10 of the Mac Store for the same app.

Do remember this is the same way all other platforms are set up if they have a mobile or desktop store. Also if they did put them together but then the developer decided to charge you $10.99 for the app would that make you feel better, specially if you only wanted the iPhone app?

Also saying that Crisis 2 and Battlefield should be on their when there isn't even a Mac version of those game isn't a very strong sided argument for you, since that has nothing to do with Apple, what is released on their platform it is up to the developers if they want to distribute it there and put the time and effort in.

I do agree on the discovery of new apps though needs to be improved.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
It doesn't excuse them entirely either though...They should be promoting development houses making AAA titles to develop OS X ports, which they are not doing.

In fact, I'd say the only people who ARE doing that are the folks at Valve....They are currently the only ones actually promoting gaming on OS X as a viable platform...

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
Discovering new items could be better. I haven't had any performance issues in the app store. I do enjoy the update tracking feature and the customer service that I've received when there have been issues, has been excellent. The App Store isn't perfect, but saying it sucks seems a bit extreme. If nothing else it has provided another avenue to publish and purchase Mac software.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
As more and more folks migrate to osx from windows it will get better. The problem is right now making an app for the mac has a very limited market to sell to. There is simply more money to be made with other OS's at the moment. As the trend of folks making the switch continues more and more developers will jump ship or adapt their apps to work on OSX. Just give it more time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.