Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Hi

My Ipad was stolen. I could succesfully put the ipad in Lost Mode but state that its disconnected and no location available. Why when the Ipad was in Lost Mode this location was not recorded in the Icloud? Now is not connected. But it was when was locked.
Now, once is in lost mode could get any wi fi network available? What about the password of the network. Even locked the Ipad ask for a password?
If not which is the deal with lost mode? We need a thief mode!
I know that they can restore the iPad, but I live in a small city in Argentina, assume they don t know nothing about itunes, etc. But if they do and connect to restore the iPad with iTunes, is it possible that at this moment the iPad connect to Internet and send me an email that allow me to see immediately the location ?

Thanks
Luis

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
All I can say that if the network is locked, it will need the password. Maybe you would be lucky if the thief would have an non-secured network. And also, I think that putting it into the lost mode make you unable to use the "find" function. Maybe there is a way to turn off lost mode and try again. I don't know really much because I don't have any iOS devices.

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
All I can say that if the network is locked, it will need the password. Maybe you would be lucky if the thief would have an non-secured network. And also, I think that putting it into the lost mode make you unable to use the "find" function. Maybe there is a way to turn off lost mode and try again. I don't know really much because I don't have any iOS devices.

Yes, but may be the Ipad locked detect the network, ask for a password and allow to put it. May be somebody could try this as an experiment with their iPads. No, you can find the location in lost mode. This is for sure.
Thanks
Luis

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Find my iPhone app is worthless it will not help you 100% Some Polices don't care about your stolen iPad or iPhone! :apple:

+1. they wouldn't waste their time. only reason you need to report to police is for insurance purposes, other than that, its' just a waste of time talking and filling up form at a police station.

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Stolen Ipad

Still nobody respond my question. And despite browsing several forums nobody knows y an Ipad in lost mode ask for a wi fi password or not. This is key to find the location

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
As far as I know, when an iOS device (or MacBook for that matter) is placed in Lost Mode, the user has no controls whatsoever other than to enter the pin code or shut the device off.

iOS devices with cellular capability can still report location via 3G/LTE. Wifi-only models are essentially gone unless the thief takes the device back to a place where it has previously connected to the network.

Most thieves are smart enough to immediately place a stolen device in Airplane mode to avoid being tracked and then simply reset it.

Long-story-short, you should ALWAYS have a passcode lock enabled on your devices to protect your data and give you a chance to locate/recover the device before a malicious user can make off with it or your data.

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Stolen Ipad

As far as I know, when an iOS device (or MacBook for that matter) is placed in Lost Mode, the user has no controls whatsoever other than to enter the pin code or shut the device off.

iOS devices with cellular capability can still report location via 3G/LTE. Wifi-only models are essentially gone unless the thief takes the device back to a place where it has previously connected to the network.

Most thieves are smart enough to immediately place a stolen device in Airplane mode to avoid being tracked and then simply reset it.

Long-story-short, you should ALWAYS have a passcode lock enabled on your devices to protect your data and give you a chance to locate/recover the device before a malicious user can make off with it or your data.

Thanks for your response. As soon as the Ipad was put in lost mode was locked with a password, so the thief had no time to put it in airplane mode.
But I don t understand why the system forbid to put a wi fi network password (as the majority of networks have a password this days) and allow the iPad to be seen. If you are right, Apple should be change this, because goes against what the purpose of the lost mode it is.

Luis

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Stolen Ipad

You are asking us why an iPad in "Lost Mode" are not able to connect to a locked network?

No, I am asking if it do it or not, as I no way to prove it. About the " why" this is a question for Apple.

----------

how was it stolen?

A woman stolen my wife bag. Inside was our iPad. Lucky thief.......

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Dude, your iPad is gone. The guy probably put it in DFU mode and restored it. The only way to do anything is to report it stolen with Apple with the serial number if you have it and if the guy ever comes to Apple with it, like the genius bar, Apple will keep the iPad and call authorities.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Dude, your iPad is gone. The guy probably put it in DFU mode and restored it. The only way to do anything is to report it stolen with Apple with the serial number if you have it and if the guy ever comes to Apple with it, like the genius bar, Apple will keep the iPad and call authorities.

No, they won't, and in my opinion, they shouldn't. Because what is going to happen is that the thief would sell the iPad to an unsuspecting buyer, who might then bring the iPad in to Apple for service. Imagine what would happen if Apple then confiscated this innocent buyer's iPad, and called the police on them? That's just not going to happen.

In order for this to work, there must be a national database of stolen goods, and it must be well-publicized that buyers of used goods should first check this database before making a purchase, and not checking the database would leave you open to potential arrest for possession of stolen goods. But such a system isn't in place, so Apple isn't going to harass a potentially innocent customer to reunite people with their stolen devices.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA

I don't know where you heard that, but it is simply not true.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well neither of you backed up your claims so neither one of you is right/wrong.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2526
If you have lost or found an Apple product, please contact your local law enforcement agency to report it. Although Apple does not have a process to track or flag lost or stolen product, you can use My Support Profile to find a list of serial numbers that have been purchased or registered with your Apple ID.

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Stolen Ipad

Thanks for all the discussion but I live in a small province in Argentina. There is not Apple store in my country and few thieves have ever seen an iPad were I live. Find the cable to link it to the computer should not be easy either.
So again my question is: the Ipad ask to join networks when they’re in Lost Mode?

Munchiemonster1

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Find My IPhone Worked for me...

I was working under my truck, placed the ipad mini on the frame and forgot about it. Went for a ride and an hour later realized what I had done. Went on iCloud.com and logged in to find my iphone. Since the ipad had cellular, it was able to locate it about a block from my house by GPS. Turns out it was in the middle of the busiest road in town being run over by heavy traffic for an hour and I was still able to find its precise location. I am having the screen replaced since it still works. It was even emitting the chiming sound that I turned on from Find My iPhone. The map even showed the ipad in the middle of the 4 lane street. I will never buy another brand device besides Apple.

----------

Thanks for all the discussion but I live in a small province in Argentina. There is not Apple store in my country and few thieves have ever seen an iPad were I live. Find the cable to link it to the computer should not be easy either.
So again my question is: the Ipad ask to join networks when they’re in Lost Mode?

It needs to be a cellular ipad for Find My Iphone to work. If it isn't, you need to have had set up "connect to networks automatically" beforehand, and hope the finder goes near a password free network

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I don't know where you heard that, but it is simply not true.

An Apple store manager told me. So yes, it is true. Not many people bother going that far though.
The police would not arrest the person but an investigation does pursue. Got my iPhone 4 back that way.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
An Apple store manager told me. So yes, it is true. Not many people bother going that far though.
The police would not arrest the person but an investigation does pursue. Got my iPhone 4 back that way.

According to Night Spring (post #18), who cited an Apple company policy, they do not. That specific store may, but it would be incorrect to assume it would be the same for everybody.

trumperl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Stolen Ipad

----------

[/COLOR]

It needs to be a cellular ipad for Find My Iphone to work. If it isn't, you need to have had set up "connect to networks automatically" beforehand, and hope the finder goes near a password free network[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comment. I don t think I left the iPad to connect networks automatically. Good point. I will suggest Apple through their feedback page, to leave the Ipad open to ask for a password when it s locked. No point to forbid this, because go against the chance to find it.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
No, they won't, and in my opinion, they shouldn't. Because what is going to happen is that the thief would sell the iPad to an unsuspecting buyer, who might then bring the iPad in to Apple for service. Imagine what would happen if Apple then confiscated this innocent buyer's iPad, and called the police on them? That's just not going to happen.

In order for this to work, there must be a national database of stolen goods, and it must be well-publicized that buyers of used goods should first check this database before making a purchase, and not checking the database would leave you open to potential arrest for possession of stolen goods. But such a system isn't in place, so Apple isn't going to harass a potentially innocent customer to reunite people with their stolen devices.
I was told exactly the same thing by police officers when I turned four stolen cell phone IMEI just a few hours after the theft occurred, asking them to track them as they do have the capabilities and authority to do so. At the very least, if they had already been resold, buyers would have been able to identify the seller with precision, and that would have helped a great deal since I knew who did it and just needed a proof.

So far in Canada, I am not counting on police officers to tackle petty crime. They are always present when you don't have an active lighting on your bicycle on a desert street because it puts money in the city's account, though.

It is very easy to find an iDevice cable anywhere in electronics store, even dollar stores.

The manager probably wanted to make you feel more comfortable. They definitely won't help you, even if the iPad was properly registered in your name when you bought it. Apple DO have a way to track devices sold from their stores and properly registered. They just won't use it.

Would somebody get hurt if they routinely called the phone number on file from the backstore just to check if device is legit? No. So much for their PR piece of crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.