Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Dick Whitman
macrumors regular

Anyway to remove embedded dirt / vertical scratches in aluminum casing?

So as many of you know by now I recently received my third MBA replacement. Long story short, I had problems with the previous two. Perhaps the most compelling factor that swayed me to keep my current machine is the Samsung screen. For me personally, I feel that this screen displays colors most accurately, and, to me, that's important.

While I have a Toshiba HDD, I'm not sure if this is really a disadvantage. I've read articles from Engadget and elsewhere saying that the Toshiba may actually be superior in some respects and that it also uses different technologies, which may or may not me comparable to the competition.

And that leaves me to my last point of concern. On the front aluminum casing there is what appears to be almost like a tint speck of black dirt embedded in the casing. This also lies in a spot of slightly discolored aluminum. It's very hard to see and only visible in the right light and at the right angle. Still, I'm wondering what exactly it is and how exactly to remove it if I should so desire. I've come across articles online suggesting glass-polish for scratches but since I don't really know if this indeed a scratch, I'm hesitant to proceed with such methods. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Dick Whitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #2
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Wow - I know this sounds bad, but it almost seems like you are on a hunt to find SOMETHING wrong with every machine you get.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

There is a Chinese saying and goes something like, "Picky - picky - picky and you end up with the ugliest ducking."

I tell you what, if you use any kind of polish, it may remove the "dirt" but at the same time, the "cleaned" area will look different than the rest of the case and that will bug u so much now you have to disassemble the whole thing and have to polish the whole thing in order to keep everything even.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502

Dude, stop complaining about the "dirt" on your Mac, and do yourself a favour, send it back for another one. Surely, the fourth one will be to your preference.
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

I think you should just learn to be content with what you have or you will never be happy
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Dick Whitman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDamager View Post
Wow - I know this sounds bad, but it almost seems like you are on a hunt to find SOMETHING wrong with every machine you get.
I really don't and I wish these things didn't exist but Apple's recent and severe lack of quality control has made me more obsessive than I should reasonably be. When I got my original 2008 MBA I didn't even have to think twice about different screen types and product damage or any of that nonsense. But - fast forward 5 years later - when you get a screen that's noticeably yellow or a laptop that's chipped, you are forced to be that much more vigilant when receiving and looking over a replacement.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjeanzzz View Post
I think you should just learn to be content with what you have or you will never be happy
Tbh, you guys are probably all right but it's still something that's just annoying, knowing that it's there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
There is a Chinese saying and goes something like, "Picky - picky - picky and you end up with the ugliest ducking."

I tell you what, if you use any kind of polish, it may remove the "dirt" but at the same time, the "cleaned" area will look different than the rest of the case and that will bug u so much now you have to disassemble the whole thing and have to polish the whole thing in order to keep everything even.
Wise words
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
53x12
macrumors 68000

You can try using a cloth and some sugar to "buff" it out.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Dick Whitman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
You can try using a cloth and some sugar to "buff" it out.
Sugar?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:01 AM   #9
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Yes, but when it gets to the point that you are obsessing about a tiny black speck and a "discoloration" that can only barely be seen in the right light and at a certain angle, you have gone over the deep end. Seriously.

Last edited by TheRealDamager; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:06 PM   #10
sviato
macrumors 68000

Dick Whitman wouldn't be this anal about a spec of dust!
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Dick Whitman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Dick Whitman wouldn't be this anal about a spec of dust!
Haha, I'm slowly learning to live with it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air