Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMOP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I picked up a brand new iMac from Best Buy about 10 days ago and it ended up being DOA right out of the box. I called Apple and they ended up replacing the unit with a brand new unit. I received the unit on Thursday. During this downtime I realized that my 17 inch Late 2011 Macbook Pro was more than adequate for my purposes and decided to sell the brand new iMac. Here is where the story gets interesting: Apple ended up sending me a different model than what I had initially gotten from Best Buy (Mc814/ll) they sent me part number Z0M7000CG. I googled this part number and it looks like it was a B&H (whatever that means) special computer. All the google links point to a i7 3.1 Ghz Processor. I really do not want to open the box and boot the computer to see what processor is inside, as that will diminish the value (as I want to get rid of this computer). Anyone have any insight if this really is an i7 processor? Or if all the links are wrong and this computer really has the normal i5 3.1ghz processor?

stm378

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
It's pretty unlikely to be a 3.1 gHz i7, I saw the same reference you did through googling it. The B and H reference is to B&H photo, a NY based seller who is one of the few sellers that offers Built-to-order iMacs besides Apple. As far as I know the only 3.1 ghz processors offered by Apple on the Mid 2011 iMacs were i5's. The only i7 that was offered on the mid 2011 iMacs was a 3.4 gHz. The computer in question may have just been built to order from the perspective of it having 8gb of Ram, the mid 2011's only had 4 out of the box. The only i7 offered on the 2010 iMacs was 2.93 gHz, so its unlikely to be that either.

Side note...if you've decided not to keep it...you may be better off trying to return it to Best Buy if you're still in the return window and it's unopened.

SMOP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
It's pretty unlikely to be a 3.1 gHz i7, I saw the same reference you did through googling it. The B and H reference is to B&H photo, a NY based seller who is one of the few sellers that offers Built-to-order iMacs besides Apple. As far as I know the only 3.1 ghz processors offered by Apple on the Mid 2011 iMacs were i5's. The only i7 that was offered on the mid 2011 iMacs was a 3.4 gHz. The computer in question may have just been built to order from the perspective of it having 8gb of Ram, the mid 2011's only had 4 out of the box. The only i7 offered on the 2010 iMacs was 2.93 gHz, so its unlikely to be that either.

Side note...if you've decided not to keep it...you may be better off trying to return it to Best Buy if you're still in the return window and it's unopened.

Thanks for the information that makes sense. Best Buy is trying to charge me a restocking fee $200+ (they claim the restocking fee applies to discontinued items). Where is the best place for me to sell this new iMac?

stm378

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
You may really just want to try speaking to a manager over at best buy, you're going to lose out on a few hundred bucks at least if you try to sell it yourself. It hardly seems fair that you bought it and never got to use it (DOA out of the box and then unopened one from Apple). If you try to sell it, your only real options as an individual are going to be eBay and CraigsList. With eBay you'll have to ship it and pay fees to eBay/PayPal, and I've never been a big fan of CraigsList just because you have to find some way to meet a stranger, so I can't tell you how well it would work. Either way you'd still probably not be able to net much more than $200 less than retail especially with the new one coming out next month.

SMOP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
You may really just want to try speaking to a manager over at best buy, you're going to lose out on a few hundred bucks at least if you try to sell it yourself. It hardly seems fair that you bought it and never got to use it (DOA out of the box and then unopened one from Apple). If you try to sell it, your only real options as an individual are going to be eBay and CraigsList. With eBay you'll have to ship it and pay fees to eBay/PayPal, and I've never been a big fan of CraigsList just because you have to find some way to meet a stranger, so I can't tell you how well it would work. Either way you'd still probably not be able to net much more than $200 less than retail especially with the new one coming out next month.

I am in a bit of a bind now as I have sent the defective computer back to Apple and now have the new mac still in its shipping box (serial number will not match receipt). Not sure if I should just keep this iMac and be done with it or try to sell it. I really have no need for it but it seems like a hassle trying to sell it... There may be some historical value as I had a chance to talk to Apple and they told me that this was the last new mid 2011 iMac built (43rd week of the year). Not sure if that is worth anything.

stm378

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
I am in a bit of a bind now as I have sent the defective computer back to Apple and now have the new mac still in its shipping box (serial number will not match receipt). Not sure if I should just keep this iMac and be done with it or try to sell it. I really have no need for it but it seems like a hassle trying to sell it... There may be some historical value as I had a chance to talk to Apple and they told me that this was the last new mid 2011 iMac built (43rd week of the year). Not sure if that is worth anything.

That's kind of why I was pushing towards trying to talk to a manager at best buy. I can't stand dealing with selling things online, too much of a hassle for my tastes, but I don't know that you have any better alternative. Maybe at least call up best buy explain what happened and see if they can give you any leeway, you'd be surprised they might be willing to work with you since they basically sold you a broken computer.

If not, maybe try calling apple to see if there's anything they can do. Maybe they'll let you return it for apple credit. Maybe you could use it to pick up a thunderbolt monitor so you can have a second monitor (second monitor's are great if you haven't had one before) or an external thunderbolt hard drive or something else that you might need/want in the future.

I'm sure there are those who would tell you to just try to sell it on eBay or Craigslist, but I just don't like dealing with it personally. It's ultimately up to you, but I'd rather try to sweet talk a manager at best buy or customer service at apple than deal with Joe Schmoe off the street. (JMHO)

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012

I don't think B&H offers BTO options on the iMac at least I couldn't find anything on their website. What I did find was, that they have mislabeled the new 27 iMac for 1,999 with a 2.9 i5, so maybe that's what happened here as well. I just don't understand why Apple would send a box with anything from B&H, but there's probably a simple explanation for that.

@thread starter: definitely talk to a manager, they advertise a 30 return policy with no questions asked. Since you have an unopened box they shouldn't charge a restocking fee to begin with. If you had brought back the defective computer, they would have to deal with it and still refund all your money. You already took care of the replacement through Apple, I don't see based on what they would refuse a full refund, discontinued item or not. Also, they don't say on their website that it is discontinued.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
B&H Photo does indeed offer the upgrade machines (BTO), and are one of the few merchants to do so. They simply order various models using BTO options and offer them for sale at the same price, you (the customer) don't "build the BTO" yourself as you do on Apple.com. It is a great way to get a higher end optioned computer quickly (no waiting for a custom build/ship from China), and probably pay no sales tax on your purchase. These upgraded models will have special part numbers assigned for each configuration.

My guess is that when the new models were announced, B&H simply returned unsold stock of the old models back to Apple, who offered them as "refurb" units for sale or exchange. If you want to sell it on eBay or CL, simply describe and price it as it is equipped. There is usually a label on the box which describes the configuration of the machine (a bit cryptic but you should be able to figure it out), so you will know the configuration without opening and powering it up. It should bring a much better price on the used market being new and unopened.

SMOP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
My guess is that when the new models were announced, B&H simply returned unsold stock of the old models back to Apple, who offered them as "refurb" units for sale or exchange. If you want to sell it on eBay or CL, simply describe and price it as it is equipped. There is usually a label on the box which describes the configuration of the machine (a bit cryptic but you should be able to figure it out), so you will know the configuration without opening and powering it up. It should bring a much better price on the used market being new and unopened.

Mine was a brand new unit built when apple determined my computer was defective. I submitted my claim late in the 42nd week of the year and the computer was built in the 43rd week of the year (Shipping & Computer box has Assembled in the USA stickers all over it) Not sure why they used a B&H order number to build it. Part of me is curious to open the box and see what exactly this iMac has under the hood. There are no specifications at all listed on any of the boxes that came with the computer (shipping box or actual iMac box).

@coreylahey
My opinion of Best Buy has changed considerably in the past few weeks. I have wasted so much time with them trying to return this thing but they keep telling me that the restocking fee cannot be waived. I would like to get rid of this iMac and move on; I may end up just opening it up and using it as a guest bedroom computer or something. I like the simplicity of my MBP 17".

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Mine was a brand new unit built when apple determined my computer was defective. I submitted my claim late in the 42nd week of the year and the computer was built in the 43rd week of the year (Shipping & Computer box has Assembled in the USA stickers all over it) Not sure why they used a B&H order number to build it. Part of me is curious to open the box and see what exactly this iMac has under the hood. There are no specifications at all listed on any of the boxes that came with the computer (shipping box or actual iMac box).

@coreylahey
My opinion of Best Buy has changed considerably in the past few weeks. I have wasted so much time with them trying to return this thing but they keep telling me that the restocking fee cannot be waived. I would like to get rid of this iMac and move on; I may end up just opening it up and using it as a guest bedroom computer or something. I like the simplicity of my MBP 17".

It is possible that the model-number you are seeing is actually an Apple BTO model number that Google search shows up as B&H because B&H is the only place that actually lists those model numbers on a web site for the search engine to pick up. I have not seen actual configuration BTO model numbers anywhere on Apples site (even the standard model numbers are very difficult to find on the store site).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.