Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I see HDTVs every where--friends house, doctor's offices, but the color variance is so great from one hdtv to the next I don't know what is the "true color."

Sticking with my SD!

I think that might be a case of low quality HDTVs. We have Samsung and Sony TVs in our house, and the image on both is equal in terms of quality and colour.

Tube TVs were nice and did have the upper hand to flat panels for what seemed like ages. Those new flat panels though are incredible.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I have a blu-ray player but until I can get blue-ray discs for $2 or $3 like I can with DVDs, I'm sticking with DVDs.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I can't watch SD anymore unless its an extremely small TV.

Heh...yep. I always change the channel when my wife is watching something in standard def to the high-def channel. She doesn't see why it makes a difference, but she also doesn't understand why I hate it when people drive slow in front of me. I have a friend who will not watch anything that is not high def. He will watch Honey Boo Boo in HD before he'd watch his favorite show in SD.

I do like HDTV but the one thing that does annoy me is that the picture can be too clear. I had to turn down or off some settings to make LOTR look more like a movie and not a reality TV show. LOL

This is a function of some of the newer sets, not HDTV in general. I was at a friend's house a few weeks ago, and she had a fairly new TV. Watching everything on it drove me crazy because even movies and shows like Law and Order looked like a soap...you know, that different filming technique. Everything was just too "smooth"...not like it's meant to look. They agreed after a while that things just looked weird, and after I found and turned off some deep-rooted setting like "clear motion", things looked more like they are supposed to. I don't want to see everything in 480fps brilliant display.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
BR Players have not had a good price on them until this black friday where many where under $60. I predict combo packs will start to decline as an option from next year forward. I do think they are also taking into account that they can charge a good amount of change for a combo pack vs a single pack, redbox, netflix and other rentals have affected the way consumers buy movies to keep, so I consider the combo packs as a bite the hook strategy to buy and not rent X movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.