Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:06 AM   #1
martinchivers
macrumors regular

running low on ram...!!!

adobie bridge has been popping up saying "Bridge is running low on ram" my mac is 18 months old & has 12 gig of ram, 3 times more than my old PC, so alarm bells are ringing.

At the point that come up, I am running in the background, only...

photoshop (CS5)
Safari,
Outlook
Word
Canon DPP.
(And Finder) Again nothing is processing files or running actions or batches. Those apps are all used throughout my working day, so I do not quit them. I started working 2 hours ago, with a fresh boot (not from sleep)

I cannot think of any other info, that I should give. Anyone any ideas on my problem?
martinchivers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:16 AM   #2
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinchivers View Post
adobie bridge has been popping up saying "Bridge is running low on ram" my mac is 18 months old & has 12 gig of ram, 3 times more than my old PC, so alarm bells are ringing.

At the point that come up, I am running in the background, only...

photoshop (CS5)
Safari,
Outlook
Word
Canon DPP.
(And Finder) Again nothing is processing files or running actions or batches. Those apps are all used throughout my working day, so I do not quit them. I started working 2 hours ago, with a fresh boot (not from sleep)

I cannot think of any other info, that I should give. Anyone any ideas on my problem?
Start "Activity Monitor", which is in the Utilities folder inside the Applications Folder. Switch it to display "System Memory". That shows how much RAM is used by each application. It also shows running applications. When you look at the application that complains, if "Kind" = "Intel" then it is an Intel 32 bit application and cannot use more than about 3GB of memory for itself, and having 12 GB of RAM won't help. If "Kind" = "Intel (64 bit)" then it can use all the memory that is there.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:27 AM   #3
martinchivers
macrumors regular

thank you.

looked at that, its a long list!

It says (bridge).......1.14 gb Intel.

I'm not sure how to interpret that, or any of the other items listed.
martinchivers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac