Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I unfortunately updated already from iTunes 10.7 to 11.0 and also did some syncs to my iPad and therefore can not go back to 10.7 easily.

Since I'm helping often other people with their Macs and their iOS devices I would need also to have iTunes 10.7 on my computer in order to see what they see (if they use iTunes 10.x).

Is their any possibility to have both iTunes versions installed and running on the same Mac? I would not need more than one song in iTunes 10.7 and I certainly would never do any syncing in it. I just would like to have it running sometimes. The versions do not have to be on the same hard drives - I have plenty of hard drives connected to my computer.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
I don't think so because iTunes updates your iTunes library so you cant use it with any older versions.

Unless theres a way to trick iTunes into creating a new library to use, then no.

I think :)

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
It would be possible using 2 user accounts, as long as you don't launch the wrong version in the wrong account.

Only down side is once 11 is installed 10 will work but error with the -42408 problem and you wont be able to sync it properly.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
You could either use a Virtual Machine (Fusion or Parallels etc) or a second real install of Mountain Lion on another disk/partition.

With a virtual machine you can run both at once, e.g.

29BZv.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.