Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRaccoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I read somewhere that 10.8 should have native support of read AND write on NTFS but so far it seems like nobody reported that it works?
Would someone more familiar with this lmk what's the actual situation?

p.s.
I'm looking for the best file system to format a partition that would be used by both Win and OS X, first i was going to go with exFAT but if there is native support to write on NTFS i would prefer that since im more familiar with it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Snow Leopard was supposed to have it, and does. But it is unstable and in most cases leads to corruption of the NTFS drive. Use of it is not recommended.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I read somewhere that 10.8 should have native support of read AND write on NTFS but so far it seems like nobody reported that it works?

p.s.
I'm looking for the best file system to format a partition that would be used by both Win and OS X, first i was going to go with exFAT but if there is native support to write on NTFS i would prefer that since im more familiar with it.

I bought ParagonNTFS. The same version 8 I had worked on 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8. It's only $20.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

p.s.

OS X has native support to READ from NTFS, but can't write to it without an addon like Paragon or similar. It sounds like you would be better off with ExFAT.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.