Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevies3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
With Apple TV can I stream a DVD movie on my laptop to my TV thru wifi? I don't own a DVD player and would use my laptop as the player.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
No. Unless Jailbroken, the AppleTV can only stream from a file that is stored in iTunes.

Even if Jailbroken, I do not believe you can stream from a DVD.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
1. Rip
2. Encode with Handbrake
3. Stream from iTunes to AppleTV

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
[(say) if ur computer happens to be a Mac capable of Airplay - mirroring]
You could play the movie on your computer and mirror it to the ATV.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
With Apple TV can I stream a DVD movie on my laptop to my TV thru wifi? I don't own a DVD player and would use my laptop as the player.

Yes, absolutely you can.

You just need to start playing the DVD movie on the laptop, and then mirror the screen to your Apple TV using Airplay.

If your laptop is a PC: Use AirParrot. (http://www.airparrot.com)
If your laptop is a Mac: If you are running Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion, use AirParrot. If you are running Mountain Lion, use Airplay Mirroring.

Tech686239

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada

Yes, you can. If your laptop is a newer model you can airplay it directly from your computer.

Also what i do a lot is to have plex app on my laptop and plex app on my ipad and i airplay from my iPad.

There are probably other possibles but this is what i do

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Yes, absolutely you can.

You just need to start playing the DVD movie on the laptop, and then mirror the screen to your Apple TV using Airplay.

If your laptop is a PC: Use AirParrot. (http://www.airparrot.com)
If your laptop is a Mac: If you are running Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion, use AirParrot. If you are running Mountain Lion, use Airplay Mirroring.

This is perfect advice. :)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
This is perfect advice. :)

Older macs (duo core) have a difficult time with Airparrot, as transcoding to h.264 on the fly is a CPU intensive operation for movies. Early multicore macs that cannot Airplay usually do better. And later model multicore macs with Airplay capability do not need Airparrot. So, depending on your Mac, your mileage with Airparrot my vary. If you opt to go that route, I would strongly suggest you use the free trial, and really challenge it with the actual media you are wanting to stream, before purchasing it.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yes - I did this the other night - use MPlayerX or some DVD Player (not the built in one) and AirPlay mirror that display - looks and sounds great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.