Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 15, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Repair question: Screen housing bent on 11 inch air, thoughts?

So as you can all see by the pics attached, I dropped my MBA and the corner of the top casing near the charger has bent. I had to tape up the bottom case to prevent the aluminum of the top case from grating away at it (I was getting smal aluminum flakes falling onto my screen etc).

My last resort is to take it to the apple store. Between what they charge for parts and labor I'm sure I'm going to have to shell about about half the cost of the computer to get this fixed there.

My stupid solution is to take plyers and see if I can bend it back.

Anyone have this issue happen to them? Have any of you found a quick and easy (cheap) fix? I considered buying the parts myself but can't find the part number for the top casing for the life of me, and plus, from teardown videos I'm way too much of a novice to be taking on that huge of an operation.

Also, if anyone knows of great repair shops in LA that are honest and can give me a bare bones price, please let me know. Not making enough to shell out hundreds of dollars on this, and as I work weekdays and weekends I'm trying to minimize the amount of time I spend going from shop to shop (which is why I'm posting here).

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	412396   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	412397   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	412398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	412399  
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Well, you most likely bended more than just the casing, so they would have to replace the whole thing. I wouldn't try bending it. But I would ask someone to open it just to stop it from flaking bits everywhere and then reassemble it afterwards.

If it doesn't bug you other than the flaking that it. Doesn't seem to have done anything to your screen otherwise.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; May 15, 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Jessica Lares is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

I would probably go the "stupid solution" route and try to flatten it out with pliers myself. But that's just me. If you try it, just be careful that you don't damage the screen itself.

----------

And as far as I can tell, from this disassembly video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNtnvzfSzY), there isn't anything in that corner that can be affected.

Best of luck.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

if you intend on repairing it anyway, go ahead and try to bend it back. if you can live with the damage as is, i wouldn't mess with it.
Old May 16, 2013, 04:45 AM   #5
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

before you go repairing it yourself, i would ask if you are familiar with Father Ted?

http://tinyurl.com/6ltczfy

Last edited by DisplacedMic; May 17, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typos
DisplacedMic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
before you go repairing it yourself, i wold ask if you are familiar with Father Ted?

http://tinyurl.com/6ltczfy
that's awesome.
joejoejoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:40 AM   #7
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
that's awesome.
Funniest show ever made!
good luck with your laptop :-)
DisplacedMic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

That seems like a very popular damage spot.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Boatworker
macrumors newbie

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and was able to bend it back with some flat, wide nose pliers. Touched up the aluminum with a very fine file and it is OK now.

If you do this put something like stiff plastic between the case and the pliers to prevent doing even more damage to the case.

Good luck,
Jim
Boatworker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatworker View Post
I did the same thing a few weeks ago and was able to bend it back with some flat, wide nose pliers. Touched up the aluminum with a very fine file and it is OK now.

If you do this put something like stiff plastic between the case and the pliers to prevent doing even more damage to the case.

Good luck,
Jim
i will try this, thank you!
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 03:38 PM   #11
j.almeida70
macrumors newbie

Bent repair

Hello, joejoejoe, have you sucessfully managed to bend back the corner? If you did, would you be so kind to post photos? I have the same issue and I'd like to have a look at the outcome before I attempt this.

Boatworker, may I request a photo from yours?

thank you both in advance

Regards
j.almeida70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air