Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Anyway to delete saved Messages on iPhone on iOS 7?

With iOS 7 in usage you can see how much space you have taken with saved messages. I have 42 MB and I am trying to free up as much space as I can. Anyway to delete this stuff without resetting the phone?
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
With iOS 7 in usage you can see how much space you have taken with saved messages. I have 42 MB and I am trying to free up as much space as I can. Anyway to delete this stuff without resetting the phone?
You can't just go into the messages app and delete them one at a time?
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.0.6 JB
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Mr. RPG
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
You can't just go into the messages app and delete them one at a time?
They are still saved in the phone so they can be accessed with Spotlight, did you not know this?
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB Black & Slate
15.4" Macbook Pro with Retina Display (mid-2012) model
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
They are still saved in the phone so they can be accessed with Spotlight, did you not know this?
Is that a glitch with iOS 7? Cause I've yet to try deleting messages after installing it. I dumped Beta 2 and went back to 6.1.4 til Beta 3 comes out.

I know when deleting messages in iOS 6 they actually go away and I get space back.
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.0.6 JB
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Mr. RPG
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthraige View Post
Is that a glitch with iOS 7? Cause I've yet to try deleting messages after installing it. I dumped Beta 2 and went back to 6.1.4 til Beta 3 comes out.

I know when deleting messages in iOS 6 they actually go away and I get space back.
This occurred in all version of iOS. The only way I know of deleting it would be to reset the phone or.. jailbreaking, but I don't want to.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB Black & Slate
15.4" Macbook Pro with Retina Display (mid-2012) model
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Armen
macrumors 68020
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
See here for more info

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...torage+message
Armen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:30 AM   #7
darthraige
macrumors 68000
 
darthraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
This occurred in all version of iOS. The only way I know of deleting it would be to reset the phone or.. jailbreaking, but I don't want to.
I'm not aware of that. I got 3GB of space back when I removed all of mine the other week. All I did was delete each one in the message app and reboot. When I plugged into iTunes my "Other" space dropped 3GB.
__________________
MacPro 8-core Penryn / 18GB Ram / 12TB
32GB iPhone 5 Verizon - iOS 7.0.6 JB
11" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core i5

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #8
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
This occurred in all version of iOS. The only way I know of deleting it would be to reset the phone or.. jailbreaking, but I don't want to.
I have the same issue on my iPhone 5 when iOS 6 came out. It was fixed in a later version, like 6.1 I believe, but for me, it came back. My iCloud backups were growing too rapidly, even with deleting messages, so I had to go back to iTunes backups.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Mr. RPG
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
Doesn't look like anyone could find a solution.

I guess the only thing to do is to reset..? Urgh..

Why can't Apple fix these small things..? Why is it so difficult for them..
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB Black & Slate
15.4" Macbook Pro with Retina Display (mid-2012) model
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020
 
AbSoluTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
Doesn't look like anyone could find a solution.

I guess the only thing to do is to reset..? Urgh..

Why can't Apple fix these small things..? Why is it so difficult for them..
It's a beta. The second beta to be exact. Give it a bit man. Come on now
__________________
Twitter - Flickr
AbSoluTc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Armen
macrumors 68020
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
It's a beta. The second beta to be exact. Give it a bit man. Come on now
he has a point. You can't delete it in iOS6 either.
Armen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Mr. RPG
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
It's a beta. The second beta to be exact. Give it a bit man. Come on now
Oh yeah, forgot that iOS has been in Beta since its inception my bad.

What should I rollback to? 6? Oh, doesn't work there. 5? Nope, still not far back enough. 4? 3? LOL
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB Black & Slate
15.4" Macbook Pro with Retina Display (mid-2012) model
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #13
phr0ze
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
Oh yeah, forgot that iOS has been in Beta since its inception my bad.

What should I rollback to? 6? Oh, doesn't work there. 5? Nope, still not far back enough. 4? 3? LOL
My messages definately deleted in iOS 6. No need to be smart about it.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020
 
AbSoluTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
he has a point. You can't delete it in iOS6 either.
I've never had a problem deleting them and the space used being freed up. I think it has to do with a glitch on his phone with how he restored/backed up. A few people have/had this issue with iOS 7. I don't have the issue and did not have it before iOS 7 either. All messages deleted are removed, not searchable and free up any space they took.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
Oh yeah, forgot that iOS has been in Beta since its inception my bad.

What should I rollback to? 6? Oh, doesn't work there. 5? Nope, still not far back enough. 4? 3? LOL
Because this will help resolve your problem.
__________________
Twitter - Flickr
AbSoluTc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Mr. RPG
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
I've never had a problem deleting them and the space used being freed up. I think it has to do with a glitch on his phone with how he restored/backed up. A few people have/had this issue with iOS 7. I don't have the issue and did not have it before iOS 7 either. All messages deleted are removed, not searchable and free up any space they took.

----------



Because this will help resolve your problem.
Being for real? Because in every version of iOS, Messages are still saved for Spotlight..
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB Black & Slate
15.4" Macbook Pro with Retina Display (mid-2012) model
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #16
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020
 
AbSoluTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
Being for real? Because in every version of iOS, Messages are still saved for Spotlight..
Not on my phone. Just tested it. Deleted a conversation and it's not finding it now. It shows the name under messages but doesn't open anything. Previous messages I deleted are not found in spotlight at all. I think it updates after a certain time frame but it does delete.
__________________
Twitter - Flickr
AbSoluTc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Aromain
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
It finally worked!

I deleted and sync'd and power up and down..... some of it worked but not everything.... esp not the biggest offenders.

What works for those was to go into the actual message / conversation and hold down on one of the photos or text bubbles. next where copy and all that pops up, select More

then the option to select line items and delete will come up. In the upper left corner Delete all is an option, use that.... the persons name will remain but it will be blank. It finally put a dent in my 3+GB issue and I'm down to almost nothing in the way of 'Saved messages" taking up space.
Aromain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Dromero101
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
iBackupBot Saved me

I had 5G of "other" on IOS6 which turned to 5G of "messages (Saved)" in IOS7. After a day of research I downloaded iBackupBot (the free trial. I used it to edit my latest iphone backup then I restored my iphone from that backup. Now I have my 5G back! I hope this helps everybody!
Dromero101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:37 AM   #19
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Teknowledgee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!
HAFR, thanks for this post, this was right on the money. Best answer I have seen to this question after lots of searching. Worked like a charm, free'd up 3.5 gig, and better yet got access to some photos and videos from SMS that I never saved. Thanks again.
Teknowledgee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:23 AM   #21
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!
I tried this. I got as far as

- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

I did that, got the files deleted. BUT, now when I try to "Restore Backup" in iTunes, I keep getting a message telling me I don't have enough free space on my phone. I go into Useage and I have about 650MB free. And I would think the backup I am trying to restore is smaller than what's already on the phone considering I deleted all of those files.

I tried it several times, restarted both iTunes and my phone several times.

Help?
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:53 PM   #22
Armen
macrumors 68020
 
Armen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RPG View Post
With iOS 7 in usage you can see how much space you have taken with saved messages. I have 42 MB and I am trying to free up as much space as I can. Anyway to delete this stuff without resetting the phone?
Jailbreak and run iCleaner Pro.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB Black (A1429); Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 8GB, 500GB; iPad Mini, 1st Gen Apple TV
Armen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 11:13 PM   #23
chemman14
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!
I registered just to say THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS!! omg this was annoying the hell out of me. Glad I FINALLY got it fixed. Down to 450 megs from 9.6 gigs! Again thank you SO much!
chemman14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Messages (Saved) 6.7GB! How can I delete these? avjp87 iOS 7 28 Mar 26, 2014 01:32 PM
iOS 7 Showing 4.7GB of "Messages (Saved)" that I can't delete? AustinG909 iOS 7 24 Oct 24, 2013 04:20 PM
iOS 7 Deleting Saved Messages PoopyThomas iOS 7 19 Oct 3, 2013 07:38 AM
iOS 7 Mail - How to swipe to delete Gmail messages rather than archive them bjcskier iOS 7 6 Sep 21, 2013 06:13 PM
Deleting converation from Messages doesn't delete it on iOS? micrors4racer OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Aug 28, 2012 04:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC