Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:58 PM   #26
bilboa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
If I remember correctly Colombia was not equipped with a hatch to the ISS so how could they dock another shuttle? I don't think they had a way to connect.

So I guess their only option for a deorbit would be a spacewalk to Atlantis.
I don't personally know what was or wasn't possible, but here is a word-for-word transcript of what Hadfield said when he was describing why he felt partly responsible for the Columbia disaster.

Quote:
And I kind of looked at it and I went, eh, I think it'll be OK. And, you know, management thinks it's within the scope of what we've done before. And unfortunately, the crew of Columbia couldn't go look to see if they were damaged. We didn't have a robot arm, a cannon arm, on that flight. And it was - the area that was suspect was hidden underneath the big open doors. You know, it's looking at the back of your own armpit.

You can't look there. And so we made the wrong judgment. And I was a senior and respected enough astronaut that if I had made this my own particular tirade, I could've stood up and said I am not going to allow that crew to come back until we send them out on a space walk and see if we have a hole or not.
Note the part I bolded -- he seemed to think they could have gone on a space walk to check at least. Here's a link to the whole transcript:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcr...ryId=241830872
bilboa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 09:08 AM   #27
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post

On another note, just purchased his book couple days ago. So far it is an interesting read, but only started. Anyone that wants a copy should get one, as I was told by the bookstore sales help they are flying off the books shelves and not to expect anymore till well after Xmas. Very interesting person Hadfield is.
I'd be interested in hearing more about it when you finish the book...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 09:11 AM   #28
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Sure thing.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:11 AM   #29
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Pretty good costume!

On another note, just purchased his book couple days ago. So far it is an interesting read, but only started. Anyone that wants a copy should get one, as I was told by the bookstore sales help they are flying off the books shelves and not to expect anymore till well after Xmas. Very interesting person Hadfield is.
Well... I just discovered that the book is free on iBooks. I was just noodling around on Mavericks (on my non-production system) - trying to figure out how this new fangled iBooks thingy worked. I brought up the Free Books ('cause I'm cheap)... and there, in the #1 spot, was Chris Hadfield's new book. Cool. Problem is my old iPad is probably too old to run iBooks 1.5 which is listed as being the minimum required. But I will check that out in a day or two. "Ground control to Major Tom...."

Just re-watched his video... too... still sends chills up my spine.

Last edited by snberk103; Nov 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:35 AM   #30
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Nope, not free. Just looked. If you saw it free earlier, than Apple did too and corrected it.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:34 PM   #31
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgnoyes View Post
Nope, not free. Just looked. If you saw it free earlier, than Apple did too and corrected it.
Free for me, at least. I was downloading it as I wrote that post. I'd better read it before Apple takes it back, perhaps!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #32
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Well... I just discovered that the book is free on iBooks. I was just noodling around on Mavericks (on my non-production system) - trying to figure out how this new fangled iBooks thingy worked. I brought up the Free Books ('cause I'm cheap)... and there, in the #1 spot, was Chris Hadfield's new book. Cool. Problem is my old iPad is probably too old to run iBooks 1.5 which is listed as being the minimum required. But I will check that out in a day or two. "Ground control to Major Tom...."

Just re-watched his video... too... still sends chills up my spine.
Yeah. Lucky you getting it free. Real live Canadian Hero.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 05:59 PM   #33
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yeah. Lucky you getting it free. Real live Canadian Hero.
I agree. Just reading that he just got his Ontario driver's license back after having to do with temporary licenses in all the different places he's lived and trained.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:35 PM   #34
needfx
macrumors 68000

floating guitar was risky business

you know, space...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
He couldn't, nor could the RIAA. Space isn't pursuant to the Berne Convention, and the DMCA only applies to Earth and a rather small part of it.

BL.
funny, but shouldn't the "international" space station be something like international waters?
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:02 PM   #35
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
... funny, but shouldn't the "international" space station be something like international waters?
It's a moot point -- Hadfield obtained permission to use the song from Bowie's lawyers in advance of the recording being made. [source]
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:12 PM   #36
needfx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
It's a moot point -- Hadfield obtained permission to use the song from Bowie's lawyers in advance of the recording being made. [source]
cheers
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:24 PM   #37
bradl
macrumors 68020

Reviving this one last time.

Apparently, licensing did come into account with this, and they only had allowed for the video to be available for a year. Today is the last day of that year, so it will be pulled down as of tomorrow morning. So if you want to get a look at it, today is your last chance to see it.

From Comm. Hadfield's comment on the clip:

Quote:
Chris Hadfield via Google+ 4 hours ago
Bowie's last day - we had permission for a year, so our Space Oddity video comes down today. One last look: 
So here you go, one last time. Enjoy:

BL.
bradl is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:57 PM   #38
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Reviving this one last time.

Apparently, licensing did come into account with this, and they only had allowed for the video to be available for a year. Today is the last day of that year, so it will be pulled down as of tomorrow morning. So if you want to get a look at it, today is your last chance to see it.

From Comm. Hadfield's comment on the clip:

So here you go, one last time. Enjoy:

YouTube: video

BL.
Awesome. Brilliant. Wonderful. And still every bit as spectacular, amazing and moving as when I first watched it last year.

Thank you very much for the timely reminder - I hadn't realised that the video could only be viewed for a year; and, all credit, too, to David Bowie for granting permission.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:58 PM   #39
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Of course, you can still download the clip - at least for a while yet.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 10:31 PM   #40
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Awesome. Brilliant. Wonderful. And still every bit as spectacular, amazing and moving as when I first watched it last year.

Thank you very much for the timely reminder - I hadn't realised that the video could only be viewed for a year; and, all credit, too, to David Bowie for granting permission.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old May 14, 2014, 05:15 AM   #41
maflynn

Video is marked private so its not coming up.

I remember it from last year and it was nice from what I can recall.
Old May 16, 2014, 09:04 AM   #42
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post

Bowie is one of my favorite artists, and i understand copyright and all the blabla, but here he could have just let the clip on without a 'deadline'.
not like it's gonna destroy his source of income.
if anything it was good PR.
Don't panic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 10:22 AM   #43
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
Bowie is one of my favorite artists, and i understand copyright and all the blabla, but here he could have just let the clip on without a 'deadline'.
I don't know if it had to deal with Bowie, or the record label. Who owns the rights to the song? If Bowie, there at least will be talks about it. If the record label, they're screwed until they 'forget' to renew the rights on it, or 50+ years, whichever comes first.

BL.
bradl is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 11:03 AM   #44
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
Sure, I am in complete agreement with you. This is a video which captures the essence, or spirit of the song so utterly, so faithfully, and so truly, that yes…..I doubt that 'copyright' issues would have hurt income, and the setting, and song - sung in such a context - would easily have brought in further revenue……and the 'deadline' - could have been sacrificed in the interests of 'the common good'.

No argument.

However, I will still give DB (whom, I, also admire greatly as an artist) credit for facilitating the viewing of this video for a year without expecting any immediate financial reward…..

Quote:
I don't know if it had to deal with Bowie, or the record label. Who owns the rights to the song? If Bowie, there at least will be talks about it. If the record label, they're screwed until they 'forget' to renew the rights on it, or 50+ years, whichever comes first.

BL.
I think it may depend on the specific copyright legislation in a given jurisdiction; some have a copyright of 30 years, others 50…..in this actual case, I confess that I have no idea whatsoever what the exact legal position may be….

In any case, my grateful thanks for reminding me to view it again before the the right to view it expired. It was wonderful, (again) and I was delighted to be able to see it again (no less than three times…..)
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 10:56 PM   #45
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
...If the record label, they're screwed until they 'forget' to renew the rights on it, or 50+ years, whichever comes first.
Duration of copyrights vary, both by country and according to the law(s) in effects at the time a given work was originally registered.

Worldwide map of copyright term length

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Tags
astronaut, bowie, iss, oddity, space