Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:13 AM   #26
calzonzote
macrumors newbie

I use Globat no problems at all... good tech support... unlimited space...
calzonzote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2014, 07:35 AM   #27
SWHC
macrumors newbie

Wait, wait, wait.

The first thing you have to learn is that everything can change everyday. That's why you don't base your choice on old suggestions, like the first on this thread.

A Small Orange, Dreamhost, FatCow, HostGator, BlueHost and others were bought by EIG, Endurance International Group. If you do some research on internet you'll find that EIG hosts don't have a good reputation. After they were bought by EIG, a lot of customers complain about a significant reduction of the quality of service, support, uptime, speed.
Probably two or more years ago they were good, but today you can find too complaints to say that they are the best providers you can go with.

Do your homework, make your research (reading recent reviews) and take your conclusions.

If I can chose, I'll stay away from EIG hosts today.

Fortunately there are a reliable EIG hosting alternatives, but it depends on your needs.

What are your requirements?
  • Disk space
  • Bandwidth
  • Databases
  • Email accounts
  • 1-click CMS installer (for WordPress and others)
  • Backup
  • Domains, subdomains and addon domains
  • Shared, VPS, Dedicated hosting
  • Budget

Then search on hosting forum like webhostingtalk.com the most reliable hosting.

Now check hosting that fits your needs and remove the others.

Read recent reviews of that providers on hosting forums and then compare them.

Finally, make your choice and ask pre-sales questions to have a first contact with your future hosting provider.

Simple? No, and it is also time consuming. But it is important to do, it is about your business future, so invest your time on it.

Some tips.
  • Search reviews on hosting forums, you can find honest reviews and also experts that can answer to your questions
  • Avoid blog posts or "top 10 site" because usually they are made only to earn money
  • Search for a money back guarantee, at least 30+ days
  • Don't take the free domain (if host offer it to you), buy it from another provider (domain registrar, such as GoDaddy or NameCheap)
  • Pay monthly, at least at the beginning. It should be simpler to change hosting in case of problems

There are a lot of other tips, I suggest you to read an online free web hosting guide to read them and to avoid the most common mistakes in web hosting purchasing, saving money and time.
SWHC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:29 AM   #28
ocabj
macrumors regular

After a long string of different shared hosting sites, ending with Bluehost, I'm now on a VPS (Linode). I just prefer to have a legitimately dedicated server (albeit virtual) with a truly sandboxed environment.

Not to mention it's my server, so I can update the OS and the applications how I please, as well as secure it tighter than shared hosting can be.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:03 AM   #29
marcustaylor
macrumors newbie

I've gone through a fair few hosts over the years (1&1, Hosting24, 000 etc). I'm now using Bluehost (a VPS) and MediaTemple for my sites. Both highly recommended.

There's a tool here that my team put together which 'calculates' the best hosting company based on your specs, which might help?
marcustaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:54 PM   #30
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustaylor View Post
There's a tool here that my team put together which 'calculates' the best hosting company based on your specs, which might help?
I'm highly sceptical of any tool that doesn't know the difference between bandwidth and transfer. What that site calls bandwidth is actually transfer.

Bandwidth is the total amount of data you can push at the same time. Think the inner circumference of a water pipe.

Transfer is the amount of data that has been pushed in a given time period (usually a month). Think about the amount of water that passes through a water pipe in a month.

Oh and the security section is rubbish as well. Of course it is possible to upload malicious content to a website on a dedicated server and just relying on a firewall misses the point of most security breaches.

The vast majority of attacks are things like SQL injection attacks or cross site scripting attacks. All of which rely on the application running on server and affect shared, VPS and dedicated servers in equal measure. So make sure that applications you are running are secure as well as the server itself. This is down to the user.

Keeping installed server software up to date and not exposing unneeded services to the internet goes a long way to improve security.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 07:04 PM   #31
Zab the Fab
macrumors member

I have to plug https://www.gigahost.dk/en/
Zab the Fab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:15 PM   #32
Yawig
macrumors newbie

Have a look at : http://www.yawig.com/pricing
Yawig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:59 AM   #33
alicemaris558
macrumors newbie

Top Web Hosting Services

I would like you to recommend Dialwebhosting because it is a good web hosting provider that helps to choose the best web hosting services.
http://www.dialwebhosting.com/
alicemaris558 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development