Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:46 AM   #1
Nermal

Zelda and Sixtyforce

A few days ago, I decided to play through Ocarina of Time again, using the Sixtyforce emulator. I'm in the Forest Temple, and try as I might, I'm finding it impossible to solve Amy's puzzle. I think this might be a bug in Sixtyforce, as the blocks are getting "stuck" when there's nothing obstructing them, and the game fails to trigger Amy's appearance once they're all in the correct places. Has anyone else experienced this? I've done a freeze, and uploaded it here, so you can jump right to the relevant part of the game

Edit: After looking around on Google, I found someone else with exactly the same problem

Edit 2: You can get around the problem by placing all the blocks 1 square apart, then pushing them together. So problem solved (sort of)

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 31, 2005 at 04:37 AM.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Dagless
macrumors Core

I might try that on my Xbox, i think I have Sixtyforce on it.

cant really help much. but years ago a guy I knew online was banging on about emulating Zelda on his computer thinking it would p*ss me off, so he sent me a screenshot to show off like. only he had an FPS counter in the corner. 7FPS is not a way to play Zelda.
though I reckon these days its a lot faster!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:18 AM   #3
kingcrowing
macrumors 6502a

whats 60 force? Is it for OS X?
kingcrowing is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi
I might try that on my Xbox, i think I have Sixtyforce on it.

cant really help much. but years ago a guy I knew online was banging on about emulating Zelda on his computer thinking it would p*ss me off, so he sent me a screenshot to show off like. only he had an FPS counter in the corner. 7FPS is not a way to play Zelda.
though I reckon these days its a lot faster!
Ya, it has actually gotten quite a bit faster. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I had Sixtyforce on my iBook a while ago (933MHz, 640MB) and Zelda ran at about 40fps.
Littleodie914 is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:00 PM   #5
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcrowing
whats 60 force? Is it for OS X?
It's a N64 emulator for OS X.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Patmian212
macrumors 68020

Where can I donwload the emulator and roms such as zelda(for games I already own).
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:17 PM   #7
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmian212
Where can I donwload the emulator and roms such as zelda(for games I already own).
You can get the emulators here.
http://emulation.victoly.com/

It is illegal to download roms. Even if you own the game, transmitting the rom is illegal as it is someone's backup copy.

The whole "you must own this rom to download" thing is a myth. At least, in the United States it is illegal. You may not be in the U.S. but we probably don't want content that is considered illegal posted here.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis
Even if you own the game, transmitting the rom is illegal as it is someone's backup copy.
Eep. Unless our laws are different (and they probably are!) then my copy of Zelda is pirated

Although, in reality, I don't think anyone would care so long as I show them that I own the cartridge. It's one of these things that I don't have a moral problem with, even if it is technically illegal (like ripping my CDs into iTunes - Apple even encourage this!)
Nermal is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Dagless
macrumors Core

I think thats a silly law. if you own your own countries Ocarina of Time game then surely you could download a rom from the same country. alas! I'm playing OoT Master Quest on my Cube so i'm ok.

OoT is such a fantastic game
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:37 PM   #10
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

It's a ridiculously stupid law, but that's how it works.

You can not rip the game...
Except there is the backup exception, that anyone is entitled to back up anything they own provided that they do not transmit that copy to anyone.

So you can rip your own game. You can not transmit that backup copy to anyone. If you download someone's backup copy, that's breaking the law.

If you buy the equipment and rip the roms yourself, then that's fine.

Most people feel the law is stupid and just download the roms they own anyway. If you feel that way, go ahead, but don't ask where to download the roms
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:31 PM   #11
steelfist
macrumors 6502a

i can play sixty force with super mario 64 at around 25-29 fps with only messenger ON on my ibook running at 1.33 ghz 100 gb and 1 gb or ram very good emulator for the mac.
steelfist is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:08 AM   #12
astrostu
macrumors 6502

I know this is an old thread, but this bug still is present in the latest version of sixtyforce. Here is how I got around it, with some help from the original post:

So, the key is that the blocks will fall after you shoot the picture. If you're facing the picture, the one in the upper left corner (the one with the torch) needs to be there. So you need to solve the puzzle but make sure that the blocks are lined up with that upper left one in the exact same spot.

Because of the invisible walls, you won't be able to do this. So what you have to do is move that block out of the way by one pull or push, then move the other block to where it needs to go, and then put that upper left one back.

This takes more than the minute you're given, so you just wait through the rest of the cycles until it cycles back to those images on top. Make sure that one block is pulled out so that you can then push it into place once they cycle back.
astrostu is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Sky Blue

Isn't a mod asking about illegal ROMS all sorts of wrong?
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:55 PM   #14
Max Payne
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis View Post
It's a ridiculously stupid law, but that's how it works.

You can not rip the game...
Except there is the backup exception, that anyone is entitled to back up anything they own provided that they do not transmit that copy to anyone.

So you can rip your own game. You can not transmit that backup copy to anyone. If you download someone's backup copy, that's breaking the law.

Most people feel the law is stupid and just download the roms they own anyway. If you feel that way, go ahead, but don't ask where to download the roms
This is ridiculous. Who the f* thinks of such stupid laws?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 03:13 PM   #15
aidanpendragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Except that equipment apparently is also illegal, making it a doubly stupid law - no way to exercise your legal backup right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Isn't a mod asking about illegal ROMS all sorts of wrong?
I won't pass judgment on this, but I will point out that three cheap, legal, & supported alternatives exist: Ocarina of Time for Wii Virtual Console, or for Gamecube either on OoT/Master Quest disk or Zelda Anniversary Collection. Any way will get you the game on your TV, and none of them have emu-induced errors in gameplay - they run as the designers intended.
aidanpendragon is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:08 PM   #16
andy89
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to andy89
Its not illegal to use your own Roms.

But you have to perform the backup yourself. Not many people have the knowledge or tools to.

You can pick the equipment up on ebay, but its not cheap.
andy89 is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:24 PM   #17
FireArse
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to FireArse
Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Payne View Post
This is ridiculous. Who the f* thinks of such stupid laws?
Those who want twice the cash for the same bit of software?
16GB iPhone 4GS
FireArse is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:11 PM   #18
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfist View Post
i can play sixty force with super mario 64 at around 25-29 fps with only messenger ON on my ibook running at 1.33 ghz 100 gb and 1 gb or ram very good emulator for the mac.
Thats pretty slow compared to the PC N64 emulators.

You can get full speed with a 700 MHz Pentium 3 processor paired with a Nvidia TNT2 card and 256MB of RAM under Windows XP Professional.

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:15 PM   #19
psychofreak
Retired

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a problem with Zelda on Sixtyforce, posted here, please help if you can
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:49 PM   #20
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy89 View Post
Its not illegal to use your own Roms.
Yes, it is.
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Apr 15, 2007, 03:50 AM   #21
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanpendragon View Post
Except that equipment apparently is also illegal, making it a doubly stupid law - no way to exercise your legal backup right.
The equipment is not illegal. I have a cable that allows me to hook my GBA to the PC. Nothing illegal about that.

The fact that I can use it to dump roms is a side benefit.

Is a DVD-ROM drive an illegal backup device just because you CAN use it as such? No. Nintendo would HAVE YOU BELIEVE that any rom-backup device is inherently designed for illegal purposes, but if you don't transfer that backup, you're not actually breaking the law; Nintendo's claim on their website about such devices being illegal has NEVER stood up in court, so it can be disregarded.

Regardless, there's no real way to back up your own N64 roms without building the equipment yourself. GBA and DS are different though.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Apr 15, 2007, 03:53 AM   #22
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Yes, it is.
Not if you backed them up yourself.

It's not illegal to play the music you ripped off a CD. It is illegal to download that music off Limewire.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:46 AM   #23
aidanpendragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The equipment is not illegal. I have a cable that allows me to hook my GBA to the PC. Nothing illegal about that.

The fact that I can use it to dump roms is a side benefit.

Is a DVD-ROM drive an illegal backup device just because you CAN use it as such? No. Nintendo would HAVE YOU BELIEVE that any rom-backup device is inherently designed for illegal purposes, but if you don't transfer that backup, you're not actually breaking the law; Nintendo's claim on their website about such devices being illegal has NEVER stood up in court, so it can be disregarded.

Regardless, there's no real way to back up your own N64 roms without building the equipment yourself. GBA and DS are different though.
I stand corrected. I should have said, "under Nintendo's representation of the law, it's illegal." But given how skewed towards corporate interests the DMCA is, maybe that assumption can be forgiven (I think the backup-copy provision predates the DMCA by two decades or so, but I'd be surprised if the later law doesn't get in some licks on the subject).
aidanpendragon is offline   0
Old Apr 17, 2007, 01:08 AM   #24
astrostu
macrumors 6502

Okay, a mod posted on a similar thread that discussion of this topic was not banned on these boards. Not to sound snooty as a newbie, but is this a thread for continued discussion of the legality of this? Why not just start a new one and leave this thread to its original purpose?
astrostu is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games