Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

LivelySoul

Original poster
Hi everybody.

I am experiencing a problem with my Sims 3. Now I searched all the relevant information on the net before posting, to make sure my question wasn't answered somewhere else.
My problem is that the game keeps shutting down after only 30 minutes or so depending on what you are doing, for example if you are making a sim it will shut down much faster than if you are just playing, but lets just say 30 minutes on average.
The fan starts racing and the computer gets hot and loud and then it just shuts down, but even before it shuts down, it is reeeally slow.

Now some have had the same problem and it was because of the Time Machine and I can say that my Time Machine is off when playing, actually I haven't even done a back up for a long time.
Some say you have to remove and install it again, and I have done that too.
Some say you have to turn down the graphics settings, and I have done that too, they are all on low.
It's been like this ever since I bought the game and I even thought that maybe something was wrong with the CD so I bought the game again.
Also there isn't any firewall or antivirus enabled so it can't be because of that.

And it can't be my computers fault since it's almost new, it has only been used for about a year and the memory isn't full at all and usually it runs smoothly.

So anyway I hope somebody out there knows a little more about this than I, so if you can please help :)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

shelitha2

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
video card issue

I have also had the same problem. From talking with the folks over at EA games they are saying that it is a video card incompatibility issue. Apparently you need a video card more for gaming.:(

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
I have also had the same problem. From talking with the folks over at EA games they are saying that it is a video card incompatibility issue. Apparently you need a video card more for gaming.:(

This is the 2011 15" model right? The GPU here should definitely be enough for the Sims 3, and it definitely should not lag. If the computer is switching off it means that the CPU is getting too hot and is turning off to prevent damage, which should not happen especially on an i7 playing such a less-demanding game like the Sims.

Have you tried playing it in Bootcamp?

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
If its a laptop. Are you having it on your lap? On a cushion? On a surface that conducts and traps heat? Personally the way you described the random shut downs it sounds like an overheating issue. Which if it is a laptop, can happen easily depending on the surface its placed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.