Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Does anyone read Newsweek? I have a subscription and enjoy reading it. It went 100% digital the beginning of this year joining forces with the The Daily Beast after going bankrupt. I realize that this is a sign of the times as print based media goes through gyrations to find it's footing in the 21st century. How many general news magazines are out there? I'm thinking Newsweek and Time. What others? I'm also accessing USA Today online. Quite a bit of free info there.

And what do you use for a general news source? I'm think of sites other than Huffington or Politico.

newsweek-final-print-edition-625x1000

niuniu

macrumors 68020
A few flicks over to the BBC and Guardian tells me everything I need to know every day. We get the Economist delivered weekly for free at the moment so that feeds the occasional need for more depth, although I feel a pang of guilt having paper in front of me now. Such a wasteful and increasingly unnecessary industry. Once the freebies stop rolling in I won't be paying for the subscription.

A lot of folk want a mix of entertainment and news in their spare moments, which would explain how sites like BuzzFeed are growing (I think it's the fastest growing in the world right now?), where others are dying.

Twitter is probably the best way for information junkies to stay ahead of the curve. I notice a large amount of articles in the Guardian are based on something that was said or happened in the Twittersphere.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sorry to see the print edition of Newsweek cease publication. I used to like it.

Personally, re sources of news, I subscribe to The Economist, and read the Guardian online most days; ditto the BBC, and some Irish sources. Every Sunday (when I'm home) I buy The Observer.

In addition, I subscribe to the publications of a few think tanks, such as the Jamestown Foundation.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like Newsweek's journalistic franchise, publishing content for readers to digest, not blatantly left or right, along with reporting news events. It will be interesting to see how it's mission changes since being folded into The Daily Beast. Right now, one of my favorite magazines is Atlantic for publishing thought provoking articles.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This is the dilemma for all print news organizations- free stuff on the internet. What online sources do you visit on a regular basis?

Another dilemma is that it is that magazines are already dated by the time you get them.

I find my news at a variety of websites: FoxNews.com, CNN.com, USAToday.com, etc.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
I work for a local free newspaper. We make all our money from ad revenue. We put out monthly editions in three separate areas, and there are now talks of expanding into 4. It's actually a real good source for local school athletics and local politics. We are also in the process of rebuilding our websites to cater to mobile users. Most of the subscription papers in the area are not doing well at all. They're already outsourcing their graphic design to China.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
How many general news magazines are out there? I'm thinking Newsweek and Time. What others?

Well, there's still USNews & World Report, but it's monthly. I subscribed to it for more than 20 years, but when it stopped publishing weekly, I switched to Newsweek, figuring they couldn't pull that one without changing the name. Well, when they announced the all digital business model, I cancelled. I'm still waiting for my promised refund. They decided to wait until the new year to process that.

By the way, Newsweek and Daily Beast partnered up maybe about a year ago, sharing content and personnel in the print version. I've never looked at DB online. A digital news source is just not for me. I only have a desktop computer, and want to read in other rooms, etc. I'm a Time subscriber now, banking on that refund to pay back some of the new subscription cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.