Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Hello,

Yesterday someone broke into our house and stole several different things, one of which was my MBA. Even though I have it connected to "Find My iPhone" I don't believe I will get the computer back. However, what I'm more worried about is what should I do to prevent them from using any of my personal information and files, because the computer was turned on when they took it.

So far I have:

• Changed email and password for my Apple ID.
  • Changed password for Google Account.
  • Logged off any other sessions of my Google Account.
  • Changed password for Facebook and Twitter.
  • Logged of any other Facebook/Twitter sessions and unauthorized my Mac to access my Twitter account.
  • Changed password for Evernote.
  • Changed password for Dropbox and un-linked my MBA with the account.
  • Blocked my credit cards associated with the MBA and my Apple ID.

What more should I do?

Best Regards,

Flomer

rodger01

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
You should contact one of the credit bureaus and place a fraud alert or freeze on your account. if they try to open a new account you will be alerted. i would order a credit report and check it closely. if you can find the location call the police and let them handle it. they may have sold it it to someone else without them knowing it was stolen.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Others may know more about this than I do.

Do you have the screen lock when the lid is closed? If the thief does not have the password to log in to your machine, they will have a more difficult time.

Do you encrypt your volumes?

purplekush604

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
is there something i can do to protect my computer and all the information on it in case something like this happens to me?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
is there something i can do to protect my computer and all the information on it in case something like this happens to me?

Encrypt with FileVault2 and shut it down when you're not using it or you can create an encrypted container and store important things on it, might get a bit annoying having to mount/unmount it but it's a good alternative if you don't want to go down FileVault route.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Presumably you either a) told the police precisely where it is or, if they will not help you with that, remote wiped it.

That is precisely why you had set up "find my iPhone."

Problem solved, file a claim with your insurance, buy a new replacement, and do all mentioned above concerning encryption.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Encrypt with FileVault2 and shut it down when you're not using it or you can create an encrypted container and store important things on it, might get a bit annoying having to mount/unmount it but it's a good alternative if you don't want to go down FileVault route.

can you please explain what encrypting it with filevault does?

if someone steals it, and there is no password to get it, its all still viewable? im very confused. thanks

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
The contents of an encrypted drive/container cannot be opened or viewed unless you know the password.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
can you please explain what encrypting it with filevault does?

if someone steals it, and there is no password to get it, its all still viewable? im very confused. thanks

They're all talking about what you should do on your next computer, not what you should do about this one. If you had filevault your files would not be viewable without a password. Right now it is possible to get info off of your computer even if you weren't logged in.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hello,

Yesterday someone broke into our house and stole several different things, one of which was my MBA. Even though I have it connected to "Find My iPhone" I don't believe I will get the computer back. However, what I'm more worried about is what should I do to prevent them from using any of my personal information and files, because the computer was turned on when they took it.

So far I have:

• Changed email and password for my Apple ID.
  • Changed password for Google Account.
  • Logged off any other sessions of my Google Account.
  • Changed password for Facebook and Twitter.
  • Logged of any other Facebook/Twitter sessions and unauthorized my Mac to access my Twitter account.
  • Changed password for Evernote.
  • Changed password for Dropbox and un-linked my MBA with the account.
  • Blocked my credit cards associated with the MBA and my Apple ID.

What more should I do?

Best Regards,

Flomer

Go onto iCloud and see the location of your Mac, contact the police and give the the exact location

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.