Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I'm looking at a portable Hard Drive to carry some of the large files from my iMac with me on trips away to use on my MBA [there will be NO WiFi where I am going].

I was looking at the Transcend TS1TSJ25M3 [it's fairly rugged for my needs], however there are a number of conflicting reports on the internet that USB3 does not work with Mac OS [I have ML] on this drive.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

TIA :confused:

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'm looking at a portable Hard Drive to carry some of the large files from my iMac with me on trips away to use on my MBA [there will be NO WiFi where I am going].

I was looking at the Transcend TS1TSJ25M3 [it's fairly rugged for my needs], however there are a number of conflicting reports on the internet that USB3 does not work with Mac OS [I have ML] on this drive.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

TIA :confused:

There seemed to be some issues with the power the USB port was putting out as my MBA was originally unable to provide enough power to my X-Rite colorimeter. A firmware fix issued in early November seems to have corrected this problem. I have 2 bus-powered USB 3.0 drives: an old Seagate Momentus 7200.3 in an OWC case and a 1TB WD Passport. They both work fine.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
There seemed to be some issues with the power the USB port was putting out as my MBA was originally unable to provide enough power to my X-Rite colorimeter. A firmware fix issued in early November seems to have corrected this problem. I have 2 bus-powered USB 3.0 drives: an old Seagate Momentus 7200.3 in an OWC case and a 1TB WD Passport. They both work fine.
and kage207

Thanks guys thats exactly what I was hoping for 'a resolved prior issue'

Thanks again. :)

----------

Amazon.com, type USB 3 external drive for Mac and enjoy the many choices.

That was easy.

Thanks for your input, i was more interested in potential USB 3 drive issues, perhaps my initial posting could have been clearer.

I had checked out Amazon amongst other providers but there was no definitive yes it will or no it won't work.

JimWPVB

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Why Not Use Dropbox

Why carry an extra device, unless you are accessing a lot data? Why not use Dropbox and make sure it syncs before you leave and when you return?

Otherwise, check out G-Drive on Amazon. They have a nice G-Drive mobile that is USB 3.0 and works well.

Good luck.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
and kage207

Thanks guys thats exactly what I was hoping for 'a resolved prior issue'

Thanks again. :)
Ya, USB 3 externals are really nice and quick. I do like it. It'd be nice to have a Thunderbolt if it were cheaper and if there were better docking solutions though that's another situation.

Secondly, like another poster said you should totally use DropBox for documents.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I have received the HD, running black magic, I get 70/92 MB/s transfer rates when FAT32 formatted. When Mac formatted 110/140 MB/s transfer rates

This is compared to USB2 transfer rates of 25/40 Mac formatted.

All in all very happy thus far with the SP HD :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.