Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Been working a lot lately so haven't kept up. How does it compare to the base model 2011 version?

I currently Edit professional with my 2011 base model Imac and even if I get a slight increase it's fine.

Thanks

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Been working a lot lately so haven't kept up. How does it compare to the base model 2011 version?

I currently Edit professional with my 2011 base model Imac and even if I get a slight increase it's fine.

Thanks

If you mean base without fussion drive - almost no upgrade at all. You will get slightly stronger cpu, very sligtly stronger gpu, usb 3 and less reflective screen, and 5400 rpm hdd instead of 7200 rpm one.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
If you mean base without fussion drive - almost no upgrade at all. You will get slightly stronger cpu, very sligtly stronger gpu, usb 3 and less reflective screen, and 5400 rpm hdd instead of 7200 rpm one.

Next model up or go 27" or possibly 2011 27" model, or is the usb 3 that much better?

Also seen there's an insane wait time of 3-4 weeks for the higher end models....

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Next model up or go 27" or possibly 2011 27" model, or is the usb 3 that much better?

Also seen there's an insane wait time of 3-4 weeks for the higher end models....

USB 3 is a must have these days if you're going to be copying any large files or a large volume of files to external media. USB 3 is 2x faster in spindle applications (i.e. a 7200RPM connected to USB 2 vs USB3), and up 6x faster in SSD applications.

With that said, here are the geekbench scores broken down for all mac models so you can see the performance scores:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

If you're happy with your current mac, the new imac is not a major upgrade, but if you are unhappy with things such as light reflecting on the glossy screen, the new imac has up to 75% reduction in glare. Or, if you're wanting to go USB 3 for copying lots of files to external drives, good upgrade.

Cons to new imac: 21 inch has no user serviceable ram, no optical drive, and no VESA mount compatibility. 27 inch one same cons but it does have user upgradable ram slot.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I know, but tbf the thread does say base model, so thought it was fair to state both 21" and 27" base models......there was no intent to offend :)

I was talking about the base 21", but in the next post did mention the base 27" so you were both right.

Secondly I know I could install an SSD drive in my current imac, but I actually need a graphics boost.
When doing certain motion graphics programs I could use a slight increase.

I could easily sell my current iMac for $900 and buy a new 27" for like $1700. So is the $800 upgrade better suited towards a 27" base model or putting an SSD 500gb in my current iMac and then an External thunder bolt drive?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.