Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leahkat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Since you are on a budget (like me), the main question is what version of adobe CS will you need to have for the next several years. The cost of that can cost more than the Mac. Assuming you are going to get a newer version of adobe CS, look at some prices on those and get a Mac that will run it well.

For example if you go for CS 4, 5, or 6, a new Mac Mini would be best (assuming CS 4 runs fine on ML, correct me if it doesn't). If you can only afford CS 2 or 3 then you would be running a used G5 or Intel Mac with Snow Leopard. You can get dual G5s cheap with a couple of big HDDs but I wouldn't count on it lasting you too long. So go Intel if you can afford it. Minis are a good deal.

If I can get a used mini 09' or so... Will CS2 & 3 run well on Leopard? Snow Leopard? I am not in a position to upgrade the software right now and need to use the CS2/3 I have now ALL THE TIME... so, if it might not work well... I may be stuck with PPC until I can afford the new software. ?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
If I can get a used mini 09' or so... Will CS2 & 3 run well on Leopard? Snow Leopard? I am not in a position to upgrade the software right now and need to use the CS2/3 I have now ALL THE TIME... so, if it might not work well... I may be stuck with PPC until I can afford the new software. ?

Isn't cs3 intel. I can't remember to be honest. I thought it was.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
After many great and faithful years, my G4 Power Mac is starting to squeak and make random chirping sounds... and it is of course very SLOW. I'm afraid it's about done, and I need a replacement. I do part-time graphic design/photography work and use Adobe Creative Suite products. I'm not looking for latest and greatest right now. Looking to spend $500-$800. What can I expect to find in this price range? My instinct is to look for a used MacPro although an imac might work too.? As you can guess from the fact that I'm still working on a G4, I tend to stretch it as long as I can and from what I have heard, imacs are not as upgradeable.? I'm assuming I'll be looking to CL or ebay and I'd appreciate any advice or warnings about buying this way.

A brand new Mac mini would give you way longer mileage than any iMac or Mac Pro that you'd buy for $500-800.

leahkat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Moving from PPC to Intel will require upgrading your software unless you stick to an OS version that supports emulation. I upgraded my intel MBP to Mountain Lion and had to move from CS3 to CS6 to avoid crashes.

Please note that PowerPC applications won't work on new Macs running Mountain Lion. Last Mac OS to run Rosetta PowerPC emulation is Snow Leopard. If you still need to run PowerPC on Intel, buy a Mac that runs Snow Leopard. Else, a new Mac mini is good.

Since you are on a budget (like me), the main question is what version of adobe CS will you need to have for the next several years. The cost of that can cost more than the Mac. Assuming you are going to get a newer version of adobe CS, look at some prices on those and get a Mac that will run it well.

For example if you go for CS 4, 5, or 6, a new Mac Mini would be best (assuming CS 4 runs fine on ML, correct me if it doesn't). If you can only afford CS 2 or 3 then you would be running a used G5 or Intel Mac with Snow Leopard.

As others pointed out, buying the new software would easily be your entire budget...

If what you have works with 10.5.8 Leopard, it should work with 10.6 Snow Leopard. So, basically any mac made before 2010 should work with your software, and be much, much faster than your old G4. If you want to run 10.5 Leopard, you will likely need to look for mac's made in 2008/2009.

So... is this correct?:
CS 2 will run on Leopard or SL - Therefore needing a 2010 or earlier mini (2009 for Leopard)
CS 3 will run (well) on Leopard or SL (crash problems with Lion/ML)?- So again, 2010 or earlier.
CS 4-6 works on anything that runs Leopard or higher (only 5 & 6 with ML support)

I'll be using CS2/3 for now, so it sounds like I probably need to look at a 2009 or 2010 mini running Leopard or SL. Either of these will run ML with new versions of CS later right.?
I'm a bit concerned about the ppc/intel switch with my current software. I've been doing some research and I've read that people have had problems working with ppc applications in SL (such as the CS2 & 3 that I need to run for awhile yet). Would Leopard be any better? Do I stick with ppc until I upgrade the CS?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I ran cs3 on an '08 aluminum MBP with an Intel c2d processor under Snow Leopard and it worked fine. The machine upgraded to ML OK, but it wouldn't run cs3. Had to move to cs6 in the last month they allowed upgrade pricing for a jump of more than two versions.

More clarification on cs3 requirements from the Adobe site:

"Mac OS
PowerPC G4 or G5 or multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.4.8-10.5 (Leopard)
512 MB of RAM
64 MB of video RAM
2 GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
1,024 x 768 monitor resolution with 16-bit graphics adapter
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services"

I think this was published before the release of Snow Leopard.
Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.