Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
icemantx
macrumors regular

iMac with SSD & HDD - where to put iPhoto library?

I have an early 2009 iMac 24" and am considering replacing the SuperDrive with an SSD. Problem is I don't know what size SSD to buy. If just apps and OS, 128GB would work. However, if I put my iPhoto library on the SSD also I will need a 512GB SSD (library is about 140GB and growing).

Question is will having the iPhoto library on the SSD be faster than the hybrid approach of app on SSD and library on my 2TB WD Black HDD?

I don't want to spend $250 more on the 512GB if there is no real benefit for the location of the library compared to a 128GB SSD with just apps/OS.

Thoughts?

Jeff
icemantx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
azure247
macrumors regular

Just put the OS on the SSD and buy a 3TB HD for all ur pictures.
azure247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will be faster with your library on the SSD. However, if I understand you correctly, you'll be replacing the optical drive with the SSD and your 2TB HDD is an internal drive, correct? If so, it will still be pretty fast. If your 2TB drive was external, you'd experience a little more "lag".

You do have a couple of options. You could actually turn your 2 drives into a DIY Fusion Drive. Your situation is perfect for that scenario. Another option would be to buy Aperture for $80; using Aperture allows you to put your library on a smaller drive, and your original images on another drive as "referenced" masters. It moves them out of the library, making it much smaller. It still wouldn't be as fast as having your entire library on the SSD, but it IS faster than having the entire library on an HDD.

I have a 240GB SSD and it worked well for having the OS on it plus the Aperture library running as referenced. I have since created a DIY Fusion Drive and that has been my best solution to date.
Nikon D300 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VR / Sigma 10-20mm
Mike in Kansas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4
icemantx
macrumors regular

Sounds like DIY Fusion is the best option and least expensive. Yes, my 2TB drive is an internal upgrade I did about a year ago from the stock 1TB that came with my iMac. For Fusion, what size drive should I buy?

Also, any real difference between say the Samsung 840 and Crucial M4? My early 2009 iMac is SATA II so it will not be able to take advantage of SATA III speeds and has Nvidia graphics so I think Sandisk and OCZ could be problematic..

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
icemantx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac