Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knoppixeu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hi all,

I have been unable to connect to my wireless router for about a week now. I connected to my access point downstairs ( this works fine ).

However when I come upstairs I want to switch to the strong single.
I used to be able to connect to the wireless router just fine however it just seems to have stopped.

When trying to connect to this wireless router after 2 minute I get wireless connection timed out.

I have tried rebooting the router & my mac. I have also tried deleting the wireless device history from my mac however this also didn't work.

Can anyone help me please?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been unable to connect to my wireless router for about a week now. I connected to my access point downstairs ( this works fine ).

However when I come upstairs I want to switch to the strong single.
I used to be able to connect to the wireless router just fine however it just seems to have stopped.

When trying to connect to this wireless router after 2 minute I get wireless connection timed out.

I have tried rebooting the router & my mac. I have also tried deleting the wireless device history from my mac however this also didn't work.

Can anyone help me please?

Which router do you have and can anything else connect to it?

You can try running the wifi scanning tool in ML as follows

Hold down the Option[alt] key and click on the Wi-Fi menu bar icon
Select he last item on the list which is “Open Wi-Fi Diagnostics…”
Hit Command+N to bring up the Network Utilities screen which includes the wi-fi scanning tool.

Check to see if there are any other wifi networks in the area using the same channel as yours. The default for most routers is 1 or 11. If there are several networks on the same channel change it.

knoppixeu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Which router do you have and can anything else connect to it?

You can try running the wifi scanning tool in ML as follows

Hold down the Option[alt] key and click on the Wi-Fi menu bar icon
Select he last item on the list which is “Open Wi-Fi Diagnostics…”
Hit Command+N to bring up the Network Utilities screen which includes the wi-fi scanning tool.

Check to see if there are any other wifi networks in the area using the same channel as yours. The default for most routers is 1 or 11. If there are several networks on the same channel change it.

Its the BT Home Hub 3.
Other devices are able to connect just not this one!!

When connected to the access point I am able to ping just not get on the other wireless router via the web browser or connect :/.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Its the BT Home Hub 3.
Other devices are able to connect just not this one!!

When connected to the access point I am able to ping just not get on the other wireless router via the web browser or connect :/.

Can you access the BT Home Hub 3 using an ethernet cable?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel of the BT Home Hub 3?

knoppixeu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Can you access the BT Home Hub 3 using an ethernet cable?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel of the BT Home Hub 3?

Yes I can connect using a ethernet cable. I know its not my hub.

Its something on the Mac book pro but I am not sure what.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes I can connect using a ethernet cable. I know its not my hub.

Its something on the Mac book pro but I am not sure what.

The point of the post was to establish if you can access the admin page of the home hub.

If so change the wifi channel on the home hub to 6 and see if this improves things

knoppixeu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
The point of the post was to establish if you can access the admin page of the home hub.

If so change the wifi channel on the home hub to 6 and see if this improves things
Hi there, No I am not able to access the admin page on my Mac Book. But I can on other devices.

I have changed the WIFI channel and this does not doing anything.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The BT Home Hub 3 has mediocre WiFi, reboot it, update its firmware, try a different WiFi channel.

Failing that try an AirPort Express setup as an access point.

Or

If it be used in bridge mode get a better WiFi router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.