Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
MrDeftino
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Skyrim - Should I be able to play this better?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I hope you can help me

Firstly, I'm beginning to think I have no idea what kinda MacBook I have, because I think I have the late 2011 13" model, yet people seem to post they have that model with a different processor. Maybe there's something missing there.

Anyhow, my MacBook specs are 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD (100GB for BOOTCAMP), Intel Graphics HD3000. I'm not sure if the i5 is dual or quad, Apple says it's dual so it's probably that but I have seen people post it as a quad core before, it is on my Windows Laptop.

Should I be able to run Skyrim better than on the lowest settings @ 1280x720? It runs mostly fine, I get about 25 - 30fps but it does frequently dip to stutter a little, but it is still playable. One major problem I have though is when running Skyrim (on Windows Home Premium 64-bit) my MacBook really belts out the fans and gets very hot, sometimes even causing the MacBook to blue screen.

Similarly, when I play The Sims on OSX Lion, sometimes the MacBook crashes and restarts, the fans are also going full whack when playing that too.

Is this normal for MacBook pros? Or is there a problem here?

Cheers guys.

Last edited by Nermal; Mar 17, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: changed category from OS X to Windows
MrDeftino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeftino View Post
Firstly, I'm beginning to think I have no idea what kinda MacBook I have, because I think I have the late 2011 13" model, yet people seem to post they have that model with a different processor. Maybe there's something missing there.

Anyhow, my MacBook specs are 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD (100GB for BOOTCAMP), Intel Graphics HD3000. I'm not sure if the i5 is dual or quad, Apple says it's dual so it's probably that but I have seen people post it as a quad core before, it is on my Windows Laptop.
With these specs listed, you have a late 2011 MBP, the CPU and the RAM frequency and the integrated graphics processor (IGP) point to this machine.
It is a dual core CPU, as Intel only has dual core i5s and quad core i7s in their Sandy Bridge notebook processor lineup. The desktop lineup features quad core i5s.

Quote:
Should I be able to run Skyrim better than on the lowest settings @ 1280x720? It runs mostly fine, I get about 25 - 30fps but it does frequently dip to stutter a little, but it is still playable.
The Intel HD3000 can play the game, but with low settings.

Quote:
One major problem I have though is when running Skyrim (on Windows Home Premium 64-bit) my MacBook really belts out the fans and gets very hot, sometimes even causing the MacBook to blue screen.
The game is CPU intensive, and as the IGP is using the CPU for its purposes, it gets hot. The blue screen is probably due to prevention from overheating or bad code.
Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

Quote:
Similarly, when I play The Sims on OSX Lion, sometimes the MacBook crashes and restarts, the fans are also going full whack when playing that too.
CPU leads to heat, and then there is probably bad code in the game and definitely in the OS.
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios
__________________
living on the moderately profane edge
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
MrDeftino
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Very detailed reply, thanks
__________________
 MBP, 2.4 GHz intel i5, 16GB Ram, Intel HD3000, Bootcamp: 64bit W7; iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPod 4G.
MrDeftino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:02 AM   #4
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Throttling should occur, not blue screen and shutdown!

I've been playing a bit on my MBA (1.7GHz i5 and Intel HD3000) and it does indeed go hot and fans at full speed, but never blue screen or shutdown.

If your machine shuts down or gets blue screen after taxing it for a while, then you should use your warranty, as it is a failure, not a feature.
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro 4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.2
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
MrDeftino
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I bought the mac from my brother who bought it in December 2011. So I don't think there's still a warranty on it.

I've since installed the Unofficial Skyrim patch and I have the textures on high now and fraps tells me I get ~30fps (capped) in all situations.

I used to have the mac on my desk without any kind of area for the hot air to go. I've since put my mac on another part of the desk where part of the vent is exposed and it has so far ran better without shutting down or blue screening. I think the blue screening is part of an overheating problem as it never does it when running Avid, Final Cut or After Effects, just games.
MrDeftino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 603
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tallest Tree in The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeftino View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I hope you can help me
Welcome!
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC