Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I know people have been doing white conversions for months using knock-off parts. Now that the REAL THING exists, are there any places selling the real OEM parts? I held off on doing my conversion because I didn't want knock-off crap. I want to buy the real thing! Help?

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
I know people have been doing white conversions for months using knock-off parts. Now that the REAL THING exists, are there any places selling the real OEM parts? I held off on doing my conversion because I didn't want knock-off crap. I want to buy the real thing! Help?

I asked iFixIt about when they'd start selling white parts. They said TBD.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for the info! So we can be 100% sure that iFixIt sells only OEM stuff? I notice they have the front panel in stock, but not the other parts.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
I just did a pink conversion on my wife's iPhone 4 from eBay and it works just as good as OEM. But from what I understand, it's not gorilla glass so it might not hold up as well if dropped. The job took me an hour and a half to replace the back/front and home button but it wasn't my first time tearing an iPhone apart. The job is not for everyone.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Their prices look a little high. $17 for an iPhone 5 SIM card tray? $449 for a logic board?

Well I wouldn't buy something as simple as a Sim Card tray from there. I mean there's literally no difference between that one for $17 and a $4 tray on Amazon. But for things that matter, I'm willing to pay more to a company with a good warranty and a history of good customer service.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Also interested in this.

Are the guys on alibaba claiming to sell OEM parts legit..?

i personally wouldnt buy anything from a website named "alibaba". ive seen it come up in my parts searches in the past and immediately disregarded them in favor of more reliable and US based parts websites.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
i personally wouldnt buy anything from a website named "alibaba". ive seen it come up in my parts searches in the past and immediately disregarded them in favor of more reliable and US based parts websites.

Agreed. Alibaba is SPECIFICALLY asian based companies selling el cheap versions of things, not to mention that for most things there is a minimum purchase(i.e. only an option to buy 20, 50, or more, not just one).

I've had my rounds with alibaba to get small parts for projects before.

MobileiRepair

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
Ireland
Agreed. Alibaba is SPECIFICALLY asian based companies selling el cheap versions of things, not to mention that for most things there is a minimum purchase(i.e. only an option to buy 20, 50, or more, not just one).

I've had my rounds with alibaba to get small parts for projects before.

Interesting. I thought it was just a manufacturer - supplier hookup website.

Very difficult to find a good supplier then I guess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.