Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
own a Mac Pro early 2008, MacPro 3.1, QuadCore Intel Xeon, dual processor 2.8 Ghz and I need to get a hardware RAID such as the one found at http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusiond500p.html but unfortunately the SATA card that would suit my needs is not available (from them) the TEMPO E4P which btw is compatible all the way till Mountain Lion….

Their support team are suggesting me that since they do not carry the Tempo E4P anymore, I should get another card but unfortunately from the looks of it, the Tempo X4P is not supported by either Lion or ML…and that is a draw back.

Hence the need of someone here, if possible, to suggest another brand with the same characteristics as the Fusion D500P has and a proper SATA card that can handle the RAID.

Would appreciate the info….cheers

Purgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
looking for a cheaper RAID enclosure....

@nanofrog...thanks for your kind reply....for the looks of it, indeed it;s a cheaper...lots...cheaper RAID in terms of money...though the only thing now that I have to do is search is if this specific model and brand does not have issues...in terms of quality..

Sonnet has always characterize itself of being a reliable brand...but hope I can find reviews from your suggested model and see what users or reviewers have said about this RAID....better off (even if it's cheap) to have second opinions of those that "know" the good and bad things of hardware....

cheers

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
@nanofrog...thanks for your kind reply....for the looks of it, indeed it;s a cheaper...lots...cheaper RAID in terms of money...though the only thing now that I have to do is search is if this specific model and brand does not have issues...in terms of quality..
I'm a storage architect, and have used more Sans Digital enclosures for clients than I can recall (a lot of Norco too, but those are made for racks).

BTW, there are already other members on here that are currently using it.

Purgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
@nanofrog...just wondering..would love to get your opinion on the following enclosure from OWC....http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/

and they are suggesting this RAID card along with it...NewerTech MaxPower 6G PCIe eSATA 2-Port priced at 45.99...

one last thing....what brand of HD's 1 terabyte would you buy exactly from newegg....?????

cheers

Last edited:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
@nanofrog...just wondering..would love to get your opinion on the following enclosure from OWC....http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/

and they are suggesting this RAID card along with it...NewerTech MaxPower 6G PCIe eSATA 2-Port priced at 45.99...

one last thing....what brand of HD's 1 terabyte would you buy exactly from newegg....?????

cheers
Link didn't work when I tried (timed out). Server may be down.

But if it's what I think it is, it would work as well. It has an inexpensive RoC (RAID on a Chip) which would give you access to RAID 5. Card works well too. But it's more expensive than the Sans Digital IIRC.

Without further information as to what you're trying to do, I can't go any farther with recommendations (just aimed you based on your questions).

As per drives, I stick with Western Digital these days (RE <RAID Edition>, Black, and Green for backup) due to a lower failure rate vs. other manufacturers for SATA.

Purgi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
@nanofrog...thanks for your reply....strangely OWC's site somehow went off yesterday while trying to access the card that I was talking about....one of those strange things that do happen to websites...

What I am trying to accomplish with the RAID is being able to work with video footage, hence the need of a RAID, and work with it in terms of editing and the sort...nothing more....

Yeah your alternative is by far a better one and I am almost certain that I shall go along that path without hesitation.

As for the HD's your suggestion is exactly what I needed. So Western Digital is the way to go and also I shall stick to them since I dunno want to find myself caught unto a fail drive in the future...specially if I am getting the drives in parallel of the RAID enclosure and not with them....guaranty reasons and the sort that if bought in conjunction is applicable...and since it is not the case, I better get the best hardrives in order to avoid future trouble.

Now I just have to determine if I want a redundant RAID whenever I put the drives in or a 0 RAID...Speaking to some customer service folks at OWC yesterday, they suggested I would do a RAID with 3 of the drives and make the 4th drive a backup drive in case of failure....in the case I got from them their suggested 4 bay enclosure. Ad while thinking if viable options, I do agree that I need to make the RAID as safe as possible, meaning that somehow what OWC suggested makes sense....still I need more info on the matter to determine what is the best option.
Thanks again for your support which has broaden my knowledge as to what I should get.

Cheers

Last edited:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
What I am trying to accomplish with the RAID is being able to work with video footage, hence the need of a RAID, and work with it in terms of editing and the sort...nothing more....
Actually, if this is the type of work you're doing, simple stripe sets (RAID 0) may not be that good of an idea (no redundancy at all, and the risk of failure is n* that of a single disk; so a 3 disk stripe set is 3x more likely to fail than a single disk :eek:).

Absolutely the case if you're earning a living from your efforts.

As for the HD's your suggestion is exactly what I needed. So Western Digital is the way to go and also I shall stick to them since I dunno want to find myself caught unto a fail drive in the future...specially if I am getting the drives in parallel of the RAID enclosure and not with them....guaranty reasons and the sort that if bought in conjunction is applicable...and since it is not the case, I better get the best hardrives in order to avoid future trouble.
Now if you're going to end up in a proper RAID configuration (i.e. separate hardware RAID card), this gets more complicated, as not all disks are the same.

Meaning that such cards require the use of RAID Edition HDD's, as the recover timings stored in the firmware are different from the consumer models. Can't change this either. These drives also have additional sensors in them to prevent damage from vibration the consumer models are lacking.

So you have to be very careful with what you're doing.

Now I just have to determine if I want a redundant RAID whenever I put the drives in or a 0 RAID...Speaking to some customer service folks at OWC yesterday, they suggested I would do a RAID with 3 of the drives and make the 4th drive a backup drive in case of failure....in the case I got from them their suggested 4 bay enclosure.
Sounds like they were trying to get you to use RAID 5.

I strongly suggest you do some research on RAID, including the levels (start with Wiki's RAID page, and follow the links for additional information). Then search here in MR, and read at least a few of the detailed RAID threads (I usually post in them). Long and detailed, but the details are critical. Tons of valuable information, so be prepared to put in the time, as RAID isn't something you're going to properly understand in a few minutes (basic concept is easy, but the realities of implementing it properly are another matter).

If you're earning a living with your output, I can't suggest strongly enough you go for a proper card and run a redundant array, as well as a proper backup system (not just the hardware, but scheduling/procedures set in place that insure it's kept up with properly so you're not totally screwed when something goes wrong).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.