Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I just don't get it. I love Safari; it's a great browser. The only thing I don't like about it is how slow it is. It's just unbearable compared to Chrome or Firefox. Pages take a good 45 seconds to load, when Chrome takes less than 5.

Is there some sort of trick to make it faster (like deleting the cache?), or is it just plain slow?

FYI, my internet connection is: ping = 24; download = 12.5 Mb/S; upload = 0.85 Mb/S. Not too bad, but nothing to write home about either.

jbarnes

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
You're not the only one. I reluctantly made the switch to Chrome a few months ago because Safari seemed to be getting worse and worse. It took a bit of adjusting to at first, but now I wouldn't go back.

It's so much faster, plus there are extra perks such being able to install extensions (in particular, AdBlock is absolutely fantastic) and having the search bar and URL space combined into one (such an obvious and efficient innovation that I'm surprised it took so long for someone to figure it out).

Only things I don't like are that the history isn't too user-friendly, and having icons in the bookmarks bar is ugly, especially for folders of bookmarks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
All but one newbies:p

I am on an old Powerbook G4, My OS is Leopard 10.5.8, am on a 3G internet connection, I use Safari and the OP claims pages take 45 Seconds, you have other problems, my pages load in 5-10 seconds and it is a known fact that Safari does not run fast on My old OS X 10.5 PB PPC from 7 years ago.

Ask for advice on solving the problem.
And, add what kind of hardware and OS you are please.

You can reset safari in the Safari Menu for starters.
If still have problem report back.

Sorry Amad3U5, you gave good advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.