Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
I bought a Power Mac G5 2.0GHz dual processor (M9032LL/A, A1047) off craigslist for $60. I also have an A1081 20" Apple display. The video card on the G5 has 2 ports: an ADC at port 1 and a dvi-i on port 2. The monitor has a dvi connector.

When I connect the monitor on the dvi (port 2) and power the computer on, nothing displays on the monitor.

I've never used either of these devices before, but the computer boots into target mode when connected by firewire to my macbook pro and I can take screenshots and view them in target mode.

I do not know if a monitor needs to be connected to the adc on port 1 for a SECOND monitor to work at port 2, but I only have the one monitor that connects to port 2.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 220

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Stupid question: is display connected to power supply? I can't see it on picture, and its status LED is off.

If ACD is working OK, computer boots and you can take screenshots (as you've described) – graphics card it's shot – at least its DVI port.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
It's powered on

The monitor has a cable which has firewire and usb, both of which are plugged into the mac, and a power cord that goes into an adapter which goes to the power outlet.

The monitor power LED is on.

When I power on the G5 I hear the boot noise. If I press shift + command + 3 on the G5, I hear the camera shutter and I can take several pictures of the desktop (although I can't see what pictures I'm taking in real-time).

When I connect the G5 to my Macbook Pro via firewire, I can boot the G5 and hold the "T" key on the keyboard (of the G5). The G5 appears on my Macbook pro desktop as "Untitled" because it boots in Target Mode. In Target mode, I can see desktop screenshots from the G5.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 6.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 6.04.28 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 183

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Stupid question: is display connected to power supply? I can't see it on picture, and its status LED is off.

If ACD is working OK, computer boots and you can take screenshots (as you've described) – graphics card it's shot – at least its DVI port.

I would try connecting the monitor to both ports on the graphics card before declaring anything shot.

I would also try reseating the graphics card - they do come lose quite often. Secondly, stupid question, but are you sure the graphics card is original to the PC? Sometimes craigslist sellers will take out the original card and stick an incompatible one in.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I would try connecting the monitor to both ports on the graphics card before declaring anything shot.

Nothing short of a $25 adapter is going to connect that display to the ADC port on that video card.

I second the motion that the video card is faulty.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
Reseating the card

I would also try reseating the graphics card - they do come lose quite often. Secondly, stupid question, but are you sure the graphics card is original to the PC? Sometimes craigslist sellers will take out the original card and stick an incompatible one in.

Okay, I've tried reseating the card. I might have to buy an adapter like Intell said to try connecting it to the ADC port. As far as original card is concerned, I'm not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 168

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card. It's the second slowest card offered on the G5 lineup. You can get another one of those or something faster. You can even cheap out and get the slowest card, the GeForce 5200FX.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
What's the fastest?

That's the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card. It's the second slowest card offered on the G5 lineup. You can get another one of those or something faster. You can even cheap out and get the slowest card, the GeForce 5200FX.

So you'd suggest getting another card. This other thread has some recommendations. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1234320/

Last edited:

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I do not know if a monitor needs to be connected to the adc on port 1 for a SECOND monitor to work at port 2, but I only have the one monitor that connects to port 2.

No. DVI alone should work. I have a radeon 9800xt and just use the DVI for my monitor.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
You all are helpful!

First time posting a thread and I really love the support.
@Ickystay, that's what I was wondering; glad you pointed that out about the display working from either port, alone.
@ybz90 the keyboard came with the craigslist computer. It says macally model no: KEL-USBKB.
@misterkeeks I wonder if I should try getting a hdmi adapter to test the video card with my tv or have a friend with a monitor try theirs because I still don't know if it's the card or the monitor (before I purchase a video card). But if I do get the video card, I'll make sure it's AGP. Checking ebay now.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
video card purchased

I ordered an "Apple Power Mac G5 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB AGP Video Graphics Card".

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
Don't know how

Can't you plug the monitor to the macbook pro to test that it is working? that would be my first step...

The thought had occurred to me but I don't know how. The monitor has a cable with dvi/usb/firewire and the macbook pro has ethernet/firewire/thunderbolt/2 usbs/sd memory/line in/headphone.

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
The thought had occurred to me but I don't know how. The monitor has a cable with dvi/usb/firewire and the macbook pro has ethernet/firewire/thunderbolt/2 usbs/sd memory/line in/headphone.

there are cheap adapters available to connect thunderbolt/mini-displayport to DVI... I would start from the cheapest solution to the most expensive, and a new graphics card is considerably more expensive than the adapter...

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
there are cheap adapters available to connect thunderbolt/mini-displayport to DVI... I would start from the cheapest solution to the most expensive, and a new graphics card is considerably more expensive than the adapter...

Too late.

meah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Michigan, USA
Too late, indeed.

Right, MisterKeeks. I already purchased a videocard. Waiting for it to arrive. (fingers crossed)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.