Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It is a Windows limit, but Apple has to fix Boot Camp Assistant so it stops using MBR emulation and runs UEFI natively.

I found that post you were talking about. Good stuff and I would be willing to tolerate the extra partition.

http://www.twocanoes.com/support/wi...tb-or-larger-)-drive-in-lion-(10.7)-and-later

I have used the DIY Fusion technique I mentioned to do the opposite ... I built a Fusion drive in a Mac Mini (I installed a larger SSD drive), but allocated enough space on the SSD for Windows, and the rest for Fusion-SSD, and it works fine .... and I get SSD speeds with Windows too!

It is unfortunate Apple doesn't provide an option for the iMac for a larger SSD plus one of the hard disk choices. Then you could put Windows on the SSD there too. Unfortunately, the only option (without opening the case) is the very expensive SSD only model ... and you don't have an internal hard drive with that either.

-howard

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Thank you

Guys,

Firstly thank you for all the responses. I have officially purchased the 27 inch 3TB Fusion.

This is going to be a big jump for me. A 21.5 2009 to a 27 2012.

The reasons I went for a 3TB fusion over the 1TB are:

1. I don't need or want bootcamp

2. I don't want multiple stuff hanging out the back - this is supposed to be an all in one.
3. I don't think it will clog/slow down the iMac as SSD will handle programs and apps.
4. This way I can have just one big external hard drive, that backs everything up and I can carry around if need be.
5.£120 isn't actually that much more expensive than the equivalent externals and in the grand scheme of things, who's interested in saving £40 when you have just dropped a small fortune! Seems kind of ironic.
6. Even if I never use the space, it's nice knowing I don't have to worry about large file sizes and lots of media. I can just enjoy using it.

Once again thanks everyone.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Guys,

Firstly thank you for all the responses. I have officially purchased the 27 inch 3TB Fusion.

This is going to be a big jump for me. A 21.5 2009 to a 27 2012.

The reasons I went for a 3TB fusion over the 1TB are:

1. I don't need or want bootcamp

I think you will be 'insanely happy'. :D

theturn

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
do you know if it was the initial tech reporter over enthusiasm or did I remember reading that 3tb fusion drive option would come with a 256 gb ssd instead of the paltry 128 for the 1tb option?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
do you know if it was the initial tech reporter over enthusiasm or did I remember reading that 3tb fusion drive option would come with a 256 gb ssd instead of the paltry 128 for the 1tb option?

im pretty sure that both sizes of fusion drives only come with a 128gb ssd

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Bootcamp - Their is a current limitation meaning you can't install to a 3TB disk. Apple will fix this issue in future but keep it in mind. I'd personally go for the 3TB.

That definitely sucks! I wonder how long it will take them to fix it?

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
You are correct. Intel Macs have always been EFI. However, when Boot Camp was first introduced, almost no Windows PCs supported EFI, so Apple used the available MBR emulation.

I don't think they will fix it because it will require a complete re-write of Boot Camp Assistant and it will require Windows 7 (guess).

Apple isn't in the business of making other Operating Systems run on their hardware. I think they will let Boot Camp Assistant 'wither on the vine'.

I wonder what the % of Mac users who use Boot Camp is? I use it daily for gaming, but that's it. I use Fusion for any legacy Windows apps.

I don't think so, bootcamp it's a major feature for apple, they are going to support windows 8 almost for sure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.