Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Does anyone know the various member levels on this website and their requirements? Newbie, Member, Regular, etc.....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Unfortunately those don't show the new naming system.

Agreed.

As a usual response to such questions (which are actually perfectly reasonable) is to direct the person who asks the question to the 'FAQ' section, (rather than taking the time to answer the question asked), it might be a good idea to actually show the full naming system there as well.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Does anyone know the various member levels on this website and their requirements? Newbie, Member, Regular, etc.....

FYI: I have the second highest member rating (just one step lower than Arn) and the highest level of respect by the other MR members.

I'm just too humble to flaunt it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Agreed.

As a usual response to such questions (which are actually perfectly reasonable) is to direct the person who asks the question to the 'FAQ' section, (rather than taking the time to answer the question asked), it might be a good idea to actually show the full naming system there as well.

Newbie => 0 - 29 posts
Member => 30 posts
Regular => 100 posts (minimum required to post in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum)
6502 => 250 posts (minimum required for access to the Marketplace forum)
6502a => 500 posts (minimum required to have an avatar)
65816 => 1,000 posts
65832 => 1,500 posts
68000 => 1,505 posts
68010 => 2,000 posts
68020 => 2,005 posts
68030 => 2,500 posts
68040 => 3,000 posts
601 => 4,000 posts
603 => 5,000 posts
604 => 6,500 posts
G3 => 8,000 posts
G4 => 10,000 posts
G5 => 12,000 posts
etc....
Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor => Member who has contributed to the site and has chosen to use one of those three titles.
(Moderator) suffix => Member who is also a moderator
(Moderator emeritus) suffix => Member who is a former moderator
macrumors god => administrator

Actually those are the new levels for those titles.

No further information about levels above that (Intel CPUs) is publicly available. There was some effort to try and figure them out here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518425/, here too: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1520077/ feel free to contact the admins if you think they need to publish that info in the FAQ.

If you look at the top 50 thread, you'll note that that pretty much captures the ranks above G5. i.e. there are only about 50 users with said titles, many of us hiding behind other titles like Mod, Mod emeritus, Demi-god, God, or even Guest.

B

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually those are the new levels for those titles.

No further information about levels above that (Intel CPUs) is publicly available. There was some effort to try and figure them out here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518425/, here too: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1520077/ feel free to contact the admins if you think they need to publish that info in the FAQ.

If you look at the top 50 thread, you'll note that that pretty much captures the ranks above G5. i.e. there are only about 50 users with said titles, many of us hiding behind other titles like Mod, Mod emeritus, Demi-god, God, or even Guest.

B

Thanks for posting this. I actually had checked the FAQ section when the changed numerical requirements came into force, and noted that nothing was mentioned (apart from the all purpose word 'etc' which I love myself) above G5. And, for what it is worth, I'm not at all clear about what happens after that, because I have not sat down and looked at the threads you have mentioned in any detail. Nevertheless, (a sorry confession, this), I'm the sort of nerd who likes lists, and dates, and facts.....

However, it seems to me that there are two separate issues here. One is the tendency to direct newbies to the FAQ rather than answering their questions. Personally, I think it is possible to do both, if you already know the answer - quite often, it takes at least as much, or as little, time to answer the question asked as it does to tell someone to look up the FAQ, and I think it important to try to make newcomers to the forum welcome rather than a bit of a nuisance for asking a question that most others already know the answer to. We were all blissfully ignorant of such things once upon a time.

However, even allowing for that, I think on this particular issue it sort of misses the point to direct newbies to a FAQ which does not, in fact, really answer the question asked.

Is there a reason for the fact that the designations above G5 are not public knowledge? And if there is, why not post that very reason in that particular section of the FAQ after the designation for G5, so that people will not be made to feel like utter twits when they look it up and realise that it doesn't really tell them what they wanted to know.

Personally, I'm not sure why there is a perceived need to keep such information behind closed doors, apart from advertising the allure of hidden or forbidden knowledge, unless it is a work in progress.

Indeed, on a forum such as this, an extraordinarily high percentage of the users are nerds, or geeks, of some description of another. As such, I would argue that an unusually high number of the participants of this forum are the sort who love numbers, and strange sequences of numbers, and the sort of obscure links which tie one set of numbers and titles to another. Therefore, keeping such (the higher titles) obscured, serves, I suspect, to tantalise, (perhaps frustrate) nerdish members, whereas informing them of these numbers/titles would serve to fulfil a sort of giddy satisfaction with oneself, (for, these are worlds which are ordered according to numbered titles and sequences), or, perhaps might serve to give the more - ah, motivated, shall we phrase it? - something stratospheric to aim for.

However, at the end of the day, I'm not sure that I really want to contact the admins about something such as this; I don't feel strongly about it, either way. My post was prompted by the fact that a response directing newbies to FAQ - in this instance - does not serve to fully address the question asked, as FAQ doesn't answer it. However, feel free to forward this post, instead, if you think it may benefit discussions on the topic.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Nevertheless, (a sorry confession, this), I'm the sort of nerd who likes lists, and dates, and facts.....
Then, the top 50 thread is for you! It's all about lists and facts.

However, it seems to me that there are two separate issues here. One is the tendency to direct newbies to the FAQ rather than answering their questions.

I generally agree with you. However given the fact that we just changed the levels makes the FAQ the only authoritative place to get the information that is sought. it could be different the next time this thread comes up in a search. Posting the table or a paragraph expanding on it just leads to stale information.

However, even allowing for that, I think on this particular issue it sort of misses the point to direct newbies to a FAQ which does not, in fact, really answer the question asked.

Again, in this case the question asked is fully answered by the FAQ. The FAQ contains all the levels for "Newbie, Member, Regular, etc....." up through G5. They specifically did not ask for the higher levels only the lower ones.

Unfortunately anything beyond this is really in the admins' hands. Only they can set the levels and write the FAQs.

B

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Then, the top 50 thread is for you! It's all about lists and facts.

I generally agree with you. However given the fact that we just changed the levels makes the FAQ the only authoritative place to get the information that is sought. it could be different the next time this thread comes up in a search. Posting the table or a paragraph expanding on it just leads to stale information.

Again, in this case the question asked is fully answered by the FAQ. The FAQ contains all the levels for "Newbie, Member, Regular, etc....." up through G5. They specifically did not ask for the higher levels only the lower ones.

Unfortunately anything beyond this is really in the admins' hands. Only they can set the levels and write the FAQs.

B

Why, thank you very much for the time and trouble you have taken to attempt to address my query; it is appreciated, as, like an enervating itch, bizarrely, this had become embarrassingly persistent.

In any case, I have dukebound85 to thank for putting me out of my misery. He posted the aforementioned 'top 50' (originally posted by Dr Q) which gave the top 25 posters along with what can described as their new designations in the MR universe. Sad to relate, really, but there are those of us who attempt to put order on a chaotic world by perusing lists, and lists.....those with facts, strange nouns, and odder numbers. So, I think that I now may have some idea of what is going on. Sigh. I really like this stuff....how sad an admission is that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.