Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Apple TV is a pretty good product in its own right, but it's too bad no one brought what I'm about to talk about to Steve Jobs because I honestly think he's the only person that could have pulled this off, especially with Apple's HUGE fan base.

Ok the way apple TV works is you put your channels up for content and can get content to buy or rent and see new shows a day after they air.

Decent idea but it's so restrictive.

Anyone that's got cable knows how sometimes you'll watch the guide and see that something you'd love to see is on a channel you don't have (premium or the next package up) and at that point you just can't watch it.

Why doesn't apple TV offer network channels with LIVE CONTENT that you can just switch to immediately? Even if there is payment required, at least you'd be able to watch the show right then and there.

For example if you're watching TV, you look at the guide and see a movie you've always wanted to see is playing currently you can't see it.

But if Apple does what I'm suggesting, you'd be able to turn on apple TV and go to the network app and watch it there.

They could offer paid subscriptions to a network or let you pay for episodes or even time blocks of that networks live programming.

Kinda like pay per view for network tv.

Why spend so much on cable when you can buy apple TV and watch it all there?

With cable you're paying for a ton of channels you never watch, with this solution you're only paying for what you watch and can watch any network at any time for less than you'd pay monthly for cable.

Apple TV would replace cable and satellite.

Apple would once again reign supreme.

So why hasn't apple done this yet?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
discussed in a bunch of threads. answer to your question is the networks, what incentive do they have to offer this as of now

A wider audience.

If Apple offers slightly more than cable offers them with the same ads why not?

I honestly think that's the future of tv

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A wider audience.

If Apple offers slightly more than cable offers them with the same ads why not?

I honestly think that's the future of tv

Apple is not going to control the networks. Right now, the ATV is crippled by networks more so than Apple, I think.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the pay-tv providers (comcast, time warner, dish, etc...) also have a hand to play in this, check out this article about HBOgo.

apple has very little to do with this not happening, it's all about the content rights.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
the pay-tv providers (comcast, time warner, dish, etc...) also have a hand to play in this, check out this article about HBOgo.

apple has very little to do with this not happening, it's all about the content rights.

Content providers can always tell cable to kick rocks

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Content providers can always tell cable to kick rocks

and then they loose probably 75% of their revenue, cause there are a lot of people who are just fine with a cable box, and not so much with an aTV or similar.
I've seen several posts here from people who don't understand what an aTV does.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It's all about public acceptance first & foremost. Apple TV advocates have a hard time understanding the average TV viewer. The cable companies, while not well liked have their game down cold. Changing that dynamic is harder than most can fathom. Steve Jobs, the greatest influencer of all time couldn't put it together. It's but a dream for the hard core believers at this juncture. Makes for good rumors & musings, but little else.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
AppleTV is the best of all of the streaming boxes, the best UI for sure and I agree they could "own" this.

Eventually the networks will grow tired of satelite companies constrictions and go worldwide direct over the net, Appletv perfect for that as the TV channels are already becoming Apps, that's how we'll change the channel by clicking on the app, we already have a bunch of channels on our iOS devices, but I agree some of these need to be streaming live on AppleTV.

Another good thing that I think the AppleTV should be used for is "The Academy Award Screeners" these are currently sent to select committee members once a year and are how most of this Academy nominee content gets pirated and eventually winds up on torrent sites.

These Academy screeners should ONLY go to AppleTV so the awards committee members can go to iTunes (APPLETV only) enter a unique user code they're provided with stream and review these screeners, if this content is made available on iPhone/Macs/iPads for the members it won't work as they can be copied too easily from the iOS devices with access to the raw file, but on AppleTV it's locked in, sure there will be other ways thieves will circumvent the HDMI copy protection creating lossy analogue copies but ATV certainly more secure way for members to review the nominees than the current way - DVD/Blu Ray screeners.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
AppleTV is the best of all of the streaming boxes, the best UI for sure and I agree they could "own" this.

Eventually the networks will grow tired of satelite companies constrictions and go worldwide direct over the net, Appletv perfect for that as the TV channels are already becoming Apps, that's how we'll change the channel by clicking on the app, we already have a bunch of channels on our iOS devices, but I agree some of these need to be streaming live on AppleTV.

Another good thing that I think the AppleTV should be used for is "The Academy Award Screeners" these are currently sent to select committee members once a year and are how most of this Academy nominee content gets pirated and eventually winds up on torrent sites.

These Academy screeners should ONLY go to AppleTV so the awards committee members can go to iTunes (APPLETV only) enter a unique user code they're provided with stream and review these screeners, if this content is made available on iPhone/Macs/iPads for the members it won't work as they can be copied too easily from the iOS devices with access to the raw file, but on AppleTV it's locked in, sure there will be other ways thieves will circumvent the HDMI copy protection creating lossy analogue copies but ATV certainly more secure way for members to review the nominees than the current way - DVD/Blu Ray screeners.

I have to totally disagree with you saying apple TV is the best of the streaming boxes, not at all, that would be roku. No one has more content than roku.

Reason I think apple TV should do it is because of tons of people that buy apple stuff just because it says apple

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Cable TV is like a gym membership. People get it and are not using it enough for it to be profitable.

Most channels I watch already offer live TV on the web or via apps, or at the very, very least a large selection of free content. Movies are so easily accessible, the comfort of being able to decide for yourself when to watch it as you sit down is worth what it costs to rent or purchase it...

I remember reading a post here a while back talking about shows and there was the argument that if you follow x TV series that each have y episodes per year, spread over z channels (or packs needed to cover those channels), when does it become profitable? He came to the conclusion that you need to watch a ridiculous amount of TV in order for the two dollar per episode instead of paying for cable would become a loss...

Personally, I'm paying for cable for three reasons. Being able to have the news on during the day as background noise, for the kids to watch when they've grown tired of their movie collection, and for when I'm simply in the mood to just browse the channels without the need of first making a choice.

----------

I have to totally disagree with you saying apple TV is the best of the streaming boxes, not at all, that would be roku. No one has more content than roku.

Reason I think apple TV should do it is because of tons of people that buy apple stuff just because it says apple

I can't access most content, not being from America, so for the ATV is the best streaming box simply because I think AirPlay is so darn good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.