Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:02 AM   #76
mlody
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
DVD or the lack of it - just ripped /encoded a DVD using my PCs DVD drive.

So easy, I just shared the PCs DVD drive, put in the disk. Went to my Mac and found the DVD drive (listed with the other shared drives) Handbrake then encoded a 90 min movie in about 15 minutes to a 600Mb mp4.

And all the time the PC is sitting in another room sharing the same LAN.

Now tell me why you need a DVD drive in the new iMac?
What if the iMac is the only computer in your household or someone does not want to deal with Windows PC and component sharing etc
mlody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:15 AM   #77
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
DVD or the lack of it - just ripped /encoded a DVD using my PCs DVD drive.

So easy, I just shared the PCs DVD drive, put in the disk. Went to my Mac and found the DVD drive (listed with the other shared drives) Handbrake then encoded a 90 min movie in about 15 minutes to a 600Mb mp4.
Somehow this "it's no problem, just add external components to your iMac"-thing reminds me of an older Apple ad:


Now that we have external Thunderbolt boot disks things will turn out ... good.
Woyzeck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:59 PM   #78
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Love those pictures, but is it weird my iMac is almost as messy with 6 HDDs hanging off the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlody View Post
What if the iMac is the only computer in your household or someone does not want to deal with Windows PC and component sharing etc
Well of course if you don't have a 2nd computer with a DVD (Mac or PC) then you get the external DVD if you need it. My point is very few homes have 1 computer today and there are always options when it comes to DVD or BluRay.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:23 PM   #79
Arfdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4Collin View Post
More and more we are becoming a disposable society. It's sad to say, but it's true. Your average consumer would rather keep the computer until it breaks the first time and then pay the Apple Store to repair it, or ditch it after that. Your average consumer would also rather just go buy a new computer after 3-5 years then spend time upgrading their graphics card, hard drive, processor, etc. Cars are the same way. BMW doesn't even have real dipsticks anymore, just an electronic sensor. If you want to replace your battery on your BMW you have to buy one from the dealership and spend $400 for it because they have to program it. They know they can get away with it because most people don't service anything they own anymore.
That's why there's choice in the marketplace. Don't like a BMW and its policies? Go buy a Ford. You can change that battery yourself.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-h2o View Post
There is only one certain thing in life, other than death and taxes, and that is that a hard drive will fail.

There are two types of files: files that are lost, and files that are backed up.

The failure chance of a storage medium is 100% - plan accordingly.
What's the failure chance within a reasonable period in which it's used? Extremely slim. Plan accordingly.
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:07 AM   #80
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816
 
Nightarchaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Do you really think Ive alone makes those decisions? My guess is hardware engineering has a say.
I think I've is given an idea of component size, then makes design the case and passes it back to the Engineers to make the components fit.

I can think of no other reason for such bad case design from a Heat/access perspective.
__________________
iWatch in action http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploa...ael-Knight.jpg
MacBook Pro/iPad Mini/TV1/iMac/iPhone5
Nightarchaon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:14 AM   #81
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post

What's the failure chance within a reasonable period in which it's used? Extremely slim. Plan accordingly.
It's higher than extremely slim - hard drives fail all the time. Anyone not backing up a hard drive regularly doesn't care about the data on it.

The MTBF may be pretty good, but the chances of you being hit by a drive failure during your computing life is almost zero.
joe-h2o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:40 AM   #82
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
I think I've is given an idea of component size, then makes design the case and passes it back to the Engineers to make the components fit.

I can think of no other reason for such bad case design from a Heat/access perspective.
I have no heat issues with my 27" iMac, and all reports are it runs cooler than the 2011 'fat' iMac. Fusion and a better CPU go a long way to make a quite and cool iMac that doesn't need a bigger back to work.

As for access, yes I'd love it to be easier to open up but the reality is most people who buy any computer will never take them apart, even a traditional PC tower.

I equate it to servicing a car, they are more complex now but you can still change the oil, most will still go to a mechanic for a service. Same with computers, if they play up then it will go to a pro to fix.

If you don't like it then buy the Mac Mini or Mac Pro for easier access or go to a PC tower.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:53 AM   #83
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816
 
Nightarchaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
If you don't like it then buy the Mac Mini or Mac Pro for easier access or go to a PC tower.
Mini isn't up-gradable or powerful enough for my needs, the PRO is non-existent in Europe so i could buy one if i wanted one.

I am worried at how badly apple are going to cripple the Mac Pro refresh (if its even on the radar this week).

After the announcement today, i will decide on a Pro refresh, or having to go through the pain of building a Hackintosh , I want apples OS, but i want hardware that is not so low spec, and not easily maintained or upgraded.

Ideally the Pro should come with an ATI or Nvida GPU that has thunderbolt output ON CARD... this will give me hope that a PC card with thunderbolt out is on its way and ill be able to build a PC and use my iMac as a monitor
__________________
iWatch in action http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploa...ael-Knight.jpg
MacBook Pro/iPad Mini/TV1/iMac/iPhone5
Nightarchaon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:11 AM   #84
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
I think I've is given an idea of component size, then makes design the case and passes it back to the Engineers to make the components fit.

I can think of no other reason for such bad case design from a Heat/access perspective.
Ah yes, more "lolz it's an overheating mess".

I take it you've never actually seen one in real life?

I have one, with the 680MX and beefy CPU. Even under full load for a few hours (Planetside 2 on max settings) it is barely warm to the touch.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the thermal design of the iMac's chassis or layout. Not only does it run cool, but it also runs very quietly even under full load for extended time.

Honestly, anyone saying it's poorly designed from a heat dissipation standpoint is just ignorant.
joe-h2o is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:52 AM   #85
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
I am worried at how badly apple are going to cripple the Mac Pro refresh (if its even on the radar this week).
I very much doubt Apple will cripple the Mac Pro, and will lay odds it will still have DVD with 4x HDD bays and loads of RAM. It will also come with USB3 and TB along with the latest wireless and BT standards.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:35 AM   #86
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4Collin View Post
More and more we are becoming a disposable society. It's sad to say, but it's true. Your average consumer would rather keep the computer until it breaks the first time and then pay the Apple Store to repair it, or ditch it after that. Your average consumer would also rather just go buy a new computer after 3-5 years then spend time upgrading their graphics card, hard drive, processor, etc. Cars are the same way. BMW doesn't even have real dipsticks anymore, just an electronic sensor. If you want to replace your battery on your BMW you have to buy one from the dealership and spend $400 for it because they have to program it. They know they can get away with it because most people don't service anything they own anymore.
This is true, I wish more folks would teach their kids how to work with their hands and "do" things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
That's why there's choice in the marketplace. Don't like a BMW and its policies? Go buy a Ford. You can change that battery yourself.

----------



What's the failure chance within a reasonable period in which it's used? Extremely slim. Plan accordingly.
Love it or leave it a logical fallacy
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:05 PM   #87
Chippy99
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM82 View Post
You probably need to re-read the thread.
No, I'd say he was pretty much on the money with his comment.
Chippy99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:07 PM   #88
PJM82
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy99 View Post
No, I'd say he was pretty much on the money with his comment.
Strange, I'm not seeing much defence of Apple just a statement of why they have done it. Again, people confuse opinion and fact.
PJM82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:09 PM   #89
Arfdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-h2o View Post
Ah yes, more "lolz it's an overheating mess".

I take it you've never actually seen one in real life?

I have one, with the 680MX and beefy CPU. Even under full load for a few hours (Planetside 2 on max settings) it is barely warm to the touch.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the thermal design of the iMac's chassis or layout. Not only does it run cool, but it also runs very quietly even under full load for extended time.

Honestly, anyone saying it's poorly designed from a heat dissipation standpoint is just ignorant.
lol. I love laughing at the ignorants. I too have a 2012 iMac, runs cool as balls, and quiet too, all the while running beefy apps. The thermal management is a triumph.
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC