Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:35 AM   #1
theturtle
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
What Blemish is this?

I got my second replacement. Four little dots around the bezel but I decided to live with it.

Got home and checked the back and saw this though. What do you guys think it is? It looks like a smudge but it won't wipe off (the mark next to the flash is a piece of hair. I'm referring to the cloudy smudge towards the middle of the glass). I was going to go the next day for a third replacement but figured the genius would say that this was too minor

Sucks that my original five was more pristine than the first and second replacement. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352727304.588857.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	376755Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352727316.472022.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	376756
theturtle is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post
I got my second replacement. Four little dots around the bezel but I decided to live with it.

Got home and checked the back and saw this though. What do you guys think it is? It looks like a smudge but it won't wipe off (the mark next to the flash is a piece of hair. I'm referring to the cloudy smudge towards the middle of the glass). I was going to go the next day for a third replacement but figured the genius would say that this was too minor

Sucks that my original five was more pristine than the first and second replacement. Attachment 376755Attachment 376756
not sure.. but judging by the scuff marks on the right side.. apple will likely say you dropped it
BFizzzle is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #3
theturtle
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
not sure.. but judging by the scuff marks on the right side.. apple will likely say you dropped it
Oh haha. Those were just finger oil remnants. They wipe off.
theturtle is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post
Oh haha. Those were just finger oil remnants. They wipe off.
hahah oh ****.. well really the only thing you can do is take it back to apple and see :/

its crazy how many problems they have with QC on these new iphones.. i know its just a small percentage.. but this has never been an issue.
BFizzzle is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
mattroman246
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate NY
I really hate to have to say it as QA should make this a non issue but... Get a white iPhone
__________________
13" Macbook Pro, 2.3 GHZ i5, 16 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
16 GB Space Grey iPhone 5s
32 GB iPad 4 WiFi
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
I've always wanted to work in an Apple store. But when I read posts like this I wonder how long my employment would last. I would literally laugh you out of the store. That literally has no effect whatsover on the intended use of the device. This phone is mass produced in a country where the employees literally live where they work and get paid about 1/100th of what you get paid. The fact that most phones are in great shape is incredible. Just be glad you can make phone calls and browse the internet.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
RDaneel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
I've always wanted to work in an Apple store. But when I read posts like this I wonder how long my employment would last. I would literally laugh you out of the store. That literally has no effect whatsover on the intended use of the device. This phone is mass produced in a country where the employees literally live where they work and get paid about 1/100th of what you get paid. The fact that most phones are in great shape is incredible. Just be glad you can make phone calls and browse the internet.
Emphasis added.

Actually, they get paid about $350 per month, which would mean he'd have to make $35,000 per month for it to be 1/100th. Maybe 1/10th or 1/5th would be more accurate? Factor in free housing and it wouldn't be all that bad for their economy.
RDaneel is offline   2
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel View Post
Emphasis added.

Actually, they get paid about $350 per month, which would mean he'd have to make $35,000 per month for it to be 1/100th. Maybe 1/10th or 1/5th would be more accurate? Factor in free housing and it wouldn't be all that bad for their economy.
Well I was more looking at the fact that they get paid about $1.50 an hour figuring in over time. Granted I did hyperbole the situation for effect, but considering their conditions I'm glad I have a working phone.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:58 PM   #9
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
I've always wanted to work in an Apple store. But when I read posts like this I wonder how long my employment would last. I would literally laugh you out of the store. That literally has no effect whatsover on the intended use of the device. This phone is mass produced in a country where the employees literally live where they work and get paid about 1/100th of what you get paid. The fact that most phones are in great shape is incredible. Just be glad you can make phone calls and browse the internet.
So if I buy a new car, and the fender has a small dent and a couple chips in the paint when they pull it up and hand over they keys. I should be ok with it? Your point is ridiculous.
sulpfiction is offline   1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #10
IO01
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Well I was more looking at the fact that they get paid about $1.50 an hour figuring in over time. Granted I did hyperbole the situation for effect, but considering their conditions I'm glad I have a working phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
So if I buy a new car, and the fender has a small dent and a couple chips in the paint when they pull it up and hand over they keys. I should be ok with it? Your point is ridiculous.
I would think that auto workers get paid more than $1.50 per hour. Not sure it's far to make that comparison anyways.
IO01 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:54 PM   #11
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
So if I buy a new car, and the fender has a small dent and a couple chips in the paint when they pull it up and hand over they keys. I should be ok with it? Your point is ridiculous.
Your logic is really stupid. First of all car manufactures work off of master molds that are meticulously checked and rechecked. If there is a ding on your car it happened post manufacturing not during. Secondly, they get paid real wages with real benefits. Finally, if you are going to propose a hypothetical you should say something equivalent, like I don't know another electronic handheld device. Learn to argue or at least present points that make sense.

Also with a car if you drive off without noticing a scuff or scratch you are screwed. Apple on the other hand lets you return for full refund.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:02 AM   #12
PeterKG
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
That is glue that can be removed using Goof-Off (preferred) or Goo-Gone.
PeterKG is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:30 AM   #13
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Your logic is really stupid. First of all car manufactures work off of master molds that are meticulously checked and rechecked. If there is a ding on your car it happened post manufacturing not during. Secondly, they get paid real wages with real benefits. Finally, if you are going to propose a hypothetical you should say something equivalent, like I don't know another electronic handheld device. Learn to argue or at least present points that make sense.

Also with a car if you drive off without noticing a scuff or scratch you are screwed. Apple on the other hand lets you return for full refund.
The point is that he has dings on his brand new device. And if he's not ok with them he has every right to exchange it. It doesn't matter what the product is, or how much it costs to produce. If its flawed, it's flawed.
sulpfiction is offline   1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:54 AM   #14
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
The point is that he has dings on his brand new device. And if he's not ok with them he has every right to exchange it. It doesn't matter what the product is, or how much it costs to produce. If its flawed, it's flawed.
It is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale. If after you walk out the door a defect that has no effect on the use of the device is noticed that is then your responsibility. The fact that he sees this completely inconsequential flaw now instead of when he bought the phone at the store is not Apple's fault. He should accept it as a fact of owning the device and put a case on it. I love that Apple let's you return their phone for 30 days but really they should just tell everyone trying to return the phone over an inconsecuential scratch or blemish to shove it.

Also I realize that this particular phone is a replacement that he possibly received in the mail, however, if you think about this seriously for a moment should Apple send him another replacement for a device that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than a smudge that is so miniscule that anyone who isn't completely OCD over their stupid phone wouldn't notice?

Last edited by VandyChem2009; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:13 AM   #15
AJAAY
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
So if I buy a new car, and the fender has a small dent and a couple chips in the paint when they pull it up and hand over they keys. I should be ok with it? Your point is ridiculous.
Yeah because a phone and a car are the same thing. Pssh.
AJAAY is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 AM   #16
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
It is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale. If after you walk out the door a defect that has no effect on the use of the device is noticed that is then your responsibility. The fact that he sees this completely inconsequential flaw now instead of when he bought the phone at the store is not Apple's fault. He should accept it as a fact of owning the device and put a case on it. I love that Apple let's you return their phone for 30 days but really they should just tell everyone trying to return the phone over an inconsecuential scratch or blemish to shove it.

Also I realize that this particular phone is a replacement that he possibly received in the mail, however, if you think about this seriously for a moment should Apple send him another replacement for a device that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than a smudge that is so miniscule that anyone who isn't completely OCD over their stupid phone wouldn't notice?

so if i buy a TV... or anything else made by low wage employees i should have to open the device out of the box at the store and make sure my brand new devices is in fact brand new? (keeping the damages relative to the size of the product) and if so.. its absurd to ask for a one that is???

i understand if there is something minuscule that you can hardly see it. but people exchanged their phones that came out of the box with the anodized aluminum missing.. scratches etc.. doesnt really seem that ridiculous.. they should get a device just as shown in the advertisements.
BFizzzle is offline   6
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #17
theturtle
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Ouch. Lots of arguing. I inspected the phone when I got it and accepted that it had little chips on the bezel. It's just the smudge on the back that kind of annoys me. Unfortunately. I don't think apple will let me exchange it again because I say "there's a cloudy white mark on the back glass." I was just venting. I do wish I got a new one but that's unrealistic.
theturtle is offline   1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #18
adam044
macrumors 65816
 
adam044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Beating the dead horse you all are
adam044 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:38 AM   #19
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
so if i buy a TV... or anything else made by low wage employees i should have to open the device out of the box at the store and make sure my brand new devices is in fact brand new? (keeping the damages relative to the size of the product) and if so.. its absurd to ask for a one that is???

i understand if there is something minuscule that you can hardly see it. but people exchanged their phones that came out of the box with the anodized aluminum missing.. scratches etc.. doesnt really seem that ridiculous.. they should get a device just as shown in the advertisements.
.......Ok seriously what part of handheld device do you not understand? There is a big difference between a 4" phone and a 46" TV. You don't walk around with a tv. So if there are chips and scratches on it obviously it didn't happen while you were using it. If you drop a freaking TV the damage will render it unusable and obviously you wouldn't be able to return it then. If you drop a phone you might only see scratch damage. Give me a freaking break already. The fact that no comparable example can be created is evidence enough of the uniqueness of cell phones. The only point I was trying to make is that there is no way to verify if a scratch or scuff on the phone was created while manufacturing or by the user. That being said Apple out of the kindness of their hearts and quest for good customer service chooses to accept returns on cosmetic damage.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:50 AM   #20
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
.......Ok seriously what part of handheld device do you not understand? There is a big difference between a 4" phone and a 46" TV. You don't walk around with a tv. So if there are chips and scratches on it obviously it didn't happen while you were using it. If you drop a freaking TV the damage will render it unusable and obviously you wouldn't be able to return it then. If you drop a phone you might only see scratch damage. Give me a freaking break already. The fact that no comparable example can be created is evidence enough of the uniqueness of cell phones. The only point I was trying to make is that there is no way to verify if a scratch or scuff on the phone was created while manufacturing or by the user. That being said Apple out of the kindness of their hearts and quest for good customer service chooses to accept returns on cosmetic damage.
Quote:
It is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale.

give me a break for taking what you said....as what you said.
BFizzzle is offline   2
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:00 AM   #21
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Your logic is really stupid. First of all car manufactures work off of master molds that are meticulously checked and rechecked. If there is a ding on your car it happened post manufacturing not during. Secondly, they get paid real wages with real benefits. Finally, if you are going to propose a hypothetical you should say something equivalent, like I don't know another electronic handheld device. Learn to argue or at least present points that make sense.

Also with a car if you drive off without noticing a scuff or scratch you are screwed. Apple on the other hand lets you return for full refund.
Read all posts.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
give me a break for taking what you said....as what you said.
How about you read all posts before trying to retort.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
so if i buy a TV... or anything else made by low wage employees i should have to open the device out of the box at the store and make sure my brand new devices is in fact brand new? (keeping the damages relative to the size of the product) and if so.. its absurd to ask for a one that is???

i understand if there is something minuscule that you can hardly see it. but people exchanged their phones that came out of the box with the anodized aluminum missing.. scratches etc.. doesnt really seem that ridiculous.. they should get a device just as shown in the advertisements.
By the way if you buy a tv and it is dinged up out of the box you have to send that to the manufacturer good luck taking it back to the store you bought it from. At least with Apple there is a physical store to take your 1 mm dot to.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:23 AM   #22
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Read all posts.

----------



How about you read all posts before trying to retort.

----------



By the way if you buy a tv and it is dinged up out of the box you have to send that to the manufacturer good luck taking it back to the store you bought it from. At least with Apple there is a physical store to take your 1 mm dot to.
almost all stores have return policies..and can see if the devices has been dropped (its called a point of impact)

i did read all posts.. and you further said specifically when buying ANYTHING..so once again.. for give me for thinking at that post.. you were talking about what you said..

you were replying to
Quote:
The point is that he has dings on his brand new device. And if he's not ok with them he has every right to exchange it. It doesn't matter what the product is, or how much it costs to produce. If its flawed, it's flawed.
...so we werent talking about just handheld devices when you hit us with some sweet knowledge
Quote:
it is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale.
BFizzzle is offline   3
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #23
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA
This is getting heated. How do you people have so much free time?
bwhli is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #24
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhli View Post
This is getting heated. How do you people have so much free time?
three monitors at work+alt tab
BFizzzle is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC