Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G8AMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
I have used a few backup services over the last few years S3, Sugarsync, dropbox and Google Drive.

It may be me but non of them seem to offer a solution to my requirement.

Basically I want to move from an aging Macbook with a 750Gbps drive to a new Retina with a more limited 250Gbps. In order to free up space I would like an online drive that I can easily drop files into - for the storage of documents, photos and video.

Most of the services I have tried seem to either sync to your hard drive taking up the valuable space on it or require a complex or unreliable approach to moving files via a browser or application.

I am just looking for a shared drive that happens to be in the cloud.

I have also recently bought a time capsule which I would be happy to use as the shared drive. But if I go down this approach I can't seem to find reliable method of backing it up to the cloud,

Does anyone have a solution for either of these problems?

G8AMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Check into WebDAV. It's been around for quite a while.

Many thanks for the reply.

I have used webdav before and it is exactly what I want. But the sync services don't seem to provide that sort of interface. There are third party subscription based front ends that do. But that seems a bit complicated/expensive.

Do you use webdav with cloud storage?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I set it up with my domain host just as an experiment. It worked, but I don't use it...it's too slow. It would be OK for small files as files take just as long to download/open as they would from FTP. I suppose music and maybe video would stream with enough bandwidth, but big photos would have to load in their entirety to view. So if you're thinking access while on the road then you're probably not going to be happy with accessing larger files via WebDAV.

Rackspace is supposed to have WebDAV capabilities. Pricing depends on storage/traffic.

If you just want a cloud backup, one of the online backup services would suffice backing up an external drive connected to your new computer at your house. Or, use the external drive for your Dropbox or Google Drive folder.

What exactly do you need to access when not at home?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Many thanks for the reply.

I have used webdav before and it is exactly what I want. But the sync services don't seem to provide that sort of interface. There are third party subscription based front ends that do. But that seems a bit complicated/expensive.

Do you use webdav with cloud storage?

http://www.box.com

I do think webdav would do what you want. You can try with a free Box account as they support webdav. I use the FTP app Forklift to access my webdav storage on Box. I have not tinkered with it, but I see Forklift (and other FTP clients) have little "droplet" apps you can put on the desktop and just drop a file on the droplet and it would be uploaded to your Box webdav storage. This would keep no local copy like you want.

G8AMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks I will have a look at box.

I use Amazon S3 and 3 Hub at the moment which kind of does what I want.

I didn't think you could link google drive or drop box accounts to external storage - can you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.