Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

art-tour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Dublin
Hi,

I am new to this forum so hallo everybody ;)
I was trying to find an answer to described below problem but couldn't find any.
I am using new Mac Mini quad core i7, 2.3 ghz, 4gb ram . Brilliant machine however...
This morning I got a post with 16GB ram memory (from ebay)
After installing it computer or rather screen starts to behave weird. After about 20-30sec all screen was covered with strange colorful marks, computer got frozen and all system went down...then restarted without my intention.

I am back now to my original 4gb and all works great again.

Any idea what is wrong? is it a new RAM problem?:confused:
(below is the image of the frozen screen)

http://tinyurl.com/cjkgkkz

thank you!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Is the new ram seated correctly in the slots? I would return and try a replacement if it is.

To me it looks like a logic board / gpu problem, but that would be consistent even when you used the old ram.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I agree with trying to re-seat the ram. If that doesn't work, the RAM is probably bad. Usually, if its the wrong type of RAM, the computer won't even boot.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
The new RAM is either bad or you didn't install it properly. Probably bad, because you don't seem to have any trouble installing the original RAM. That's why I don't buy RAM from eBay.

art-tour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Dublin
HI, I am back. tried to reinstal it again and still the same problem. all works fine with my originally installed 4gb...
will probably send it back... it's Eudar (from Taiwan by sold by UK based company)

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
HI, I am back. tried to reinstal it again and still the same problem. all works fine with my originally installed 4gb...
will probably send it back... it's Eudar (from Taiwan by sold by UK based company)

Thanks a lot!

yeah happens I don't know if amazon uk will ship to you but here is a link

I have two sets in my minis

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-mem...OC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1354239316&sr=8-10

----------

I am usa based but crucial is good ram all over the world.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have used Crucial ram in all my computers for years, and never had a problem.

OP, just by from a reputable seller and you should be fine.

art-tour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Dublin
It wasn't cheap. well, comparing to apple prices it was but who would pay the crazy money they are asking for? ;)
Anyway, here is the website where you can get the memory which always works. I was upgrading my old iMac twice. I just checked it now and looks like they have the memory I am looking for. They didn't week ago...
I should wait a bit instead of getting something I don't know
http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/

thanks for all links and suggestions!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
If you're really inquisitive, what you could do is use one of the RAM modules that came with the Mini in the "inner" slot and then replace the outer one with one, then the other of your upgrade modules. One should work and you'll have 10GB RAM, the other should fail - that would be the bad one....however, you'll want to replace the set, not just the one.

art-tour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Dublin
I just started 'return item' procedure yesterday. I am not expecting any problems with that. Will order new set from MrMemory after that ;)
cheers

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
Please, do tell what this entails.

Apple certified or qualified RAM means the product has been designed and tested for your Apple computer. While non-certified memory may work, certified/qualified RAM is guaranteed to work (or the module is faulty).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.