Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:42 AM   #101
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Just reading this thread makes me so very happy that I live in a country which even at our worst point, is far more tolerant than the USA is on a good day.

I truly feel sorry, that so many people are experiencing an attack on their dignity and basic human rights, in a country that pushes the idea of freedom and democracy around the world.

Yes Happybunny, we know. You've only posted how great the Netherlands isand how awful the US is 876 times. I think we've got your point.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:42 AM   #102
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Yes Happybunny, we know. You've only posted how great the Netherlands isand how awful the US is 876 times. I think we've got your point.

First of I think that this is sad post, because you are letting this get to you personally. There is no personal vendetta on my part.

I think that you will find all the times that I have critiqued the USA, these have been right and based on facts. I have in most part always backed with sources. I'm also pretty sure that 876 is a slight exaggeration, but who knows, the reason I compare the USA to the Netherlands is that is the country that I have knowledge about.

To put things into some kind of perspective.

In the Netherlands we had a football linesman killed by some players, the Dutch Government reviewed the laws to see if anything could be done. the Dutch sports clubs came together and reviewed, rules and practices. Within two weeks there had been a total overhaul, of the regulation, and safety procedures. The Government passed a law that made the attack on a official at a sports event a criminal offence.

It might not be perfect but at least we tried to make the situation better.

Now fast forward

The USA has a major shooting in which 20 children are killed, and from my perspective a very large proportion of your population wants to carry on with Business as usual.
Oh yes and the NRA wants to put armed guards in all schools.
I it seems that there has been at least one more major gun related crime in the USA in the last 28 hours.

So yes if I come across that I heavy criticism of the USA I think you will agree there are very major differences.

What shocks me most is the fact that you mostly post highly intelligent remarks and insightful on nearly every subject.

Please use all that drive and passion to fight against the many injustices and stupidities that abound in the world, yes also in the Netherlands.

It is beneath you to post, what amounts to a shout of "Stop being mean to my country"

I would also like to point out English is not my first language, so I sometimes choose the wrong word or I miss th subtile meaning of some words.

I do hope that we can move forward from this, and discuss points on this forum as was intended.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:39 AM   #103
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

I think you both have a point.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:05 PM   #104
million7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
BS. Liberals are for the legalization of marijuana, and a whole lot of us are pro 2nd amendment.
There aren't any pro gun liberals defending the 2A after sandy hook.
I wouldn't say a majority of liberals supported legalizing it. But even if a majority did, that's just marijuana there are a lot more drugs you guys(since u say "us") don't want people using.

Quote:
Not at all. It only proves that about the people in the video, not all liberals.
It does prove it, it may not be for those specific issues, but liberals will always find 1 habit to control. Republicans and Democrats both do this.

Quote:
Hi kettle, you're black. That's precisely the same thing you're doing to liberals in this thread. I just gave you something that liberals want the government out of, and this is the reply I get?
You keep using "us" and "we" when I talk about liberals so it's appropriate to bring up liberals when I'm talking to you. As for me, you have no idea what part of political spectrum I'm on, so talking about the Republican party's failures/positions isn't going to help you, since I'm not a republican or conservative.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:23 PM   #105
million7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
The Government passed a law that made the attack on a official at a sports event a criminal offence.
How does this make the situation better?
Shouldn't killing a person already be enough of a criminal offense to put the ones responsible in jail/prison?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:24 PM   #106
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by million7 View Post
It does prove it, it may not be for those specific issues, but liberals will always find 1 habit to control. Republicans and Democrats both do this.
Didn't you just say "liberals will always find 1 habit to control"? If it's both, why mention liberals?

Quote:
As for me, you have no idea what part of political spectrum I'm on, so talking about the Republican party's failures/positions isn't going to help you, since I'm not a republican or conservative.
It's patently obvious you're with the "Libertarian"/"I'm all right, Jack, so screw you" party.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:29 PM   #107
million7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Didn't you just say "liberals will always find 1 habit to control"? If it's both, why mention liberals?
Because he's a liberal, and was talking about liberals. Also, I say both so he wouldn't say "Oh what about the Republicans" again, I was getting tired of it.

Quote:
It's patently obvious you're with the "Libertarian"/"I'm all right, Jack, so screw you" party.
I'm not a libertarian, they're more consistant than most political parties. But I hate Libertarians on a lot of other issues. So wrong assumption.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:32 PM   #108
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I'm not a libertarian, they're more consistant than most political parties. But I hate Libertarians on a lot of other issues.
Which issues, may I ask?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:43 PM   #109
million7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Which issues, may I ask?
They want monopoly Law and want to tax/regulate drug use, they support democracy as we see it today, just some stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: They want to tax/regulate drugs with the monopoly on law.

Last edited by million7; Dec 23, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
million7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:58 PM   #110
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
How does this make the situation better?
Shouldn't killing a person already be enough of a criminal offense to put the ones responsible in jail/prison?
I think that you miss understand, hitting/or using threatening behaviour towards a referee was seen as a civil offense, because it happened on the football pitch.
Up until this year violence on the pitch was seen as civil offense, and not a criminal offense.
(if I hit the same person say in the club house bar, or on the street this was always seen as a criminal offense)

This law was passed so that the situation could be stopped before it escalated to something worse. I was also thought this might work as a deterrent to curb such behaviour. This is applied to both players and referees.

Killing some body was always seen as a criminal offense even if it happened on the football pitch.

Last edited by Happybunny; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Happybunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:33 AM   #111
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
BS. Liberals are for the legalization of marijuana, and a whole lot of us are pro 2nd amendment.
And this is significant to something we discussed yesterday, which was the problem with a two-party system versus on multi-party one. The two party system is conflicting. I absolutely want second amendment rights, I'm for the legalization of certain drugs, I want to see reduced government spending and lower taxes, I want marriage equality, I want further separation of religion and government, I want welfare programs to be revamped and wasteful spending cut, I believe people deserve to be treated based on personal character (or lack of)...there's no party for me, and even if there was, it's pissing into the wind because two parties dominate. You get A or B, nothing else.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:21 AM   #112
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

I think that if the Republican party would loosen it's tie's to the fundamentalist religious christian groups, it would take large step forward to getting a Electable

Social Policies are so 20th Century.

Last edited by Happybunny; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:55 AM.
Happybunny is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues