Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

View Poll Results: Which Magsafe do you prefer?
Magsafe 1 ('L'-shaped) 132 51.36%
Magsafe 2 ('T'-shaped) 125 48.64%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:34 PM   #51
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Both arent too good in terms of durability, the wire is just too thin, and if one uses it at awkward angles, the coating of the wire rips.

But as far as connectivity the L shape stayed in better.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:18 PM   #52
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

I like the new version better. The way I have to charge my Air, it is awkward having an L shape.In terms of durability, I don't think I have a preference.

I think it really depends on where you charge your laptop. For me, it would be a problem to have an L shape, so the T shape that goes straight out is perfect
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 AM   #53
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

I run my charger from behind my desk, so for that reason I preferred the L connector. With the T connector, I have to leave some slack cable which just goes around the edge of my desk and then back. With the L connector it just went from my laptop straight back to behind my desk. That's pretty much the only reason I preferred that. Occasionally I use my MBA elsewhere, but I don't really have any complaints with the strength of the magnet or random detaching.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:40 PM   #54
attis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
The issue with the L connectors is that they didn't fall off from a jerk, depending the direction. I think Apple may have tweaked the magnet strength a bit, however, as I have not noticed the inadvertent disconnecting as much on my rMBP as I did on the MBA, each with the MagSafe 2 connectors.
Sure, they both have that disadvantage - when pulling straight on the cable, they don't come off as easily when pulled at an angle. On the T1 and T2 that is straight out from the side of the computer, and on the L1 it is directly towards or from you depending on the way it was put in.

Although the intentions were good - the new design doesn't make it impossible to pull the computer off of a desk, but it sure makes everyday use more inconvenient.

I'm not convinced, that's all...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksrock100 View Post
I like the new version better. The way I have to charge my Air, it is awkward having an L shape.In terms of durability, I don't think I have a preference.

I think it really depends on where you charge your laptop. For me, it would be a problem to have an L shape, so the T shape that goes straight out is perfect
Well, at least with the old you can choose from the T1 or L1 depending on your needs. Now you don't have a choice anymore..

From a durability standpoint, I think only time will tell which one is best. My bet is that the new one is worse.
attis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:52 PM   #55
plumosa
macrumors regular

All I can say is that I've gone through two different L-shaped cords in 16 months. They both died in the same manner, the cord frayed internally right at the point it comes out of the thicker rubber. The first one only lasted a 4 months and the second one broke 2 weeks ago.

Apple replaced the first one since it was under warranty, but refused on the most recent failure. I ended up buying an equivalent knock off on ebay since I know the apple ones won't last that long anyways; why pay 3 times the cost!?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air