Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:17 AM   #126
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zgharta, Lebanon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharaz View Post
Spotify and Pandora is not available outside USA (and few select regions )
iHope iRadio will be available everywhere
I really hope that as well... we'll only have to wait and see. But I also think that Apple will limit availability of this service. It would be so typical of them.
__________________
13" MacBook Air. iPad 3. iPhone 5C.
ThE.MeSsEnGeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #127
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
In retrospect the rumored timing is a brilliant way to distract buyers from what appears to be just another minor update of a two year old iPhone.

Apple continues to get more proficient at dragging out anything fresh.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:47 AM   #128
BvizioN
macrumors 65816
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
Meh. Fix iCloud and THEN go about other services..
Indeed! Because it's "obvious" when they start building one service they totally drop the rest
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:02 AM   #129
BvizioN
macrumors 65816
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How many people who pay $9.99 per month for Spotify services actually buy music? Since using Spotify, I can't remember the last time I bought a track/album off of iTunes (or anywhere else).
I have never used any of these services and I have absolutely no intention to but I have only one question: How do you go about when there is no carrier reception on your phone (like being in a flight for hours) Does Spotyfy allow you to cache music in your phone? If not, I fail to see what the big deal is. Personally I prefer to have my music stored in my phone so I can freely listen to it whenever and anywhere in the world I my find myself without having to worry about the data.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:13 AM   #130
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
I have never used any of these services and I have absolutely no intention to but I have only one question: How do you go about when there is no carrier reception on your phone (like being in a flight for hours) Does Spotyfy allow you to cache music in your phone? If not, I fail to see what the big deal is. Personally I prefer to have my music stored in my phone so I can freely listen to it whenever and anywhere in the world I my find myself without having to worry about the data.
Yes you can download for offline use in most of the music streaming services.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:53 AM   #131
Serban
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
so iRadio will be an app just for iOS7 or just for iphone 5s?
iRadio will be free? In EU countries will be available or only in US?

Thank you
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:00 AM   #132
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
so iRadio will be an app just for iOS7 or just for iphone 5s?
iRadio will be free? In EU countries will be available or only in US?

Thank you
Probably will be pushed to itunes app
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:49 AM   #133
IGregory
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
Why does Apple have todo whats already been done by Pandora and others?
Yeah, like why build computers because IBM did it already.
__________________
“The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” ~ Confucius
IGregory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:13 AM   #134
Evildude683
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
Meh. Fix iCloud and THEN go about other services..
What's wrong with iCloud? What a clown!
Evildude683 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:03 AM   #135
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
I have never used any of these services and I have absolutely no intention to but I have only one question: How do you go about when there is no carrier reception on your phone (like being in a flight for hours) Does Spotyfy allow you to cache music in your phone? If not, I fail to see what the big deal is. Personally I prefer to have my music stored in my phone so I can freely listen to it whenever and anywhere in the world I my find myself without having to worry about the data.
Yes, Spotify allows to to cache your music. Most of my phone's space is filled up with Spotify playlists I've cached.
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:30 AM   #136
jaymzuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I can see this as being great. Lets try unlimited streaming without ads for free. Nokia music already does this, but I would love a Nokia music equivalent on iOS.

Perhaps even a subscription service that allows the user to keep a track or two per month.

Plenty of simple ways to make this better than pandora or spotify. Not sure why people are yawning on this one.
I think people are yawning because there isn't a clear way for Apple to go over and above what's out there other than use the 'We're Apple, you'll lap this **** up because we're cool' factor which is starting to lose it's luster.

One thing I would like to see (And one I know won't happen) would be support for the smaller devices. Spotify is my playlist for home, driving and running on treadmills. Apple won't win me over on this front because I have a stupid amount of music available to me for less than I'd spend on albums, and the social aspects of Spotify mean I'm invested into it through collaborative playlists and general effort involved.

Where Apple has me is being truly mobile. Running on the road is great with my old iPod nano. It's small enough to not be noticeable, has enough storage for any run that I could go on and unbelievably good battery life. Put a spotify type service on one of those things and you'll have a winner. That said, Apple doing that could put other devices in the iPod range at threat of selling less. If it weren't for that wonderful little device, I'd not have the abomination that is iTunes installed on my PC
jaymzuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:38 AM   #137
BvizioN
macrumors 65816
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Yes, Spotify allows to to cache your music. Most of my phone's space is filled up with Spotify playlists I've cached.
Thanks, it makes sense then.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:09 PM   #138
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzuk View Post
I think people are yawning because there isn't a clear way for Apple to go over and above what's out there other than use the 'We're Apple, you'll lap this **** up because we're cool' factor which is starting to lose it's luster.

One thing I would like to see (And one I know won't happen) would be support for the smaller devices. Spotify is my playlist for home, driving and running on treadmills. Apple won't win me over on this front because I have a stupid amount of music available to me for less than I'd spend on albums, and the social aspects of Spotify mean I'm invested into it through collaborative playlists and general effort involved.

Where Apple has me is being truly mobile. Running on the road is great with my old iPod nano. It's small enough to not be noticeable, has enough storage for any run that I could go on and unbelievably good battery life. Put a spotify type service on one of those things and you'll have a winner. That said, Apple doing that could put other devices in the iPod range at threat of selling less. If it weren't for that wonderful little device, I'd not have the abomination that is iTunes installed on my PC
I guess I just don't see why it has to be strictly better. It's a built in. Feature for iOS. Maybe that is actually their only goal?

But, I can think of a handful of ways they can compete.

1. Price point
2. Ads (lack of)
3. Offline play
4. Allowing users to keep a few tracks a month
5. Full os integration (music app)
6. Streaming of actual radio stations

The last point I think is being overlooked. People claim "nobody listens to radio" anymore. I would beg to differ. If this were the case, we wouldn't have radio anymore, period. I have a couple different apps that I personally use for streaming radio, generally npr. I wouldn't mind for something like this to be built right into the os.

But the strangest thing of all about the yawning is we have no idea what apple is going to give us, and yet people are complaining that this would likely be useless. Well ok, I guess you all need something to complain about. I'm just shocked that its this.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:40 AM   #139
BobbyCat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
But the strangest thing of all about the yawning is we have no idea what apple is going to give us, and yet people are complaining that this would likely be useless. Well ok, I guess you all need something to complain about. I'm just shocked that its this.
I don't care what paying service Apple comes up with, I just want iTunes DJ back, and I'll complain until they give it back. If you're shocked, then I'm one of the loyal customers who've been double, triple shocked since the day Apple stole what it has given us for years. Because giving something and taking it back is stealing.
__________________
BobbyCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:14 PM   #140
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCat View Post
I don't care what paying service Apple comes up with, I just want iTunes DJ back, and I'll complain until they give it back. If you're shocked, then I'm one of the loyal customers who've been double, triple shocked since the day Apple stole what it has given us for years. Because giving something and taking it back is stealing.
My post had absolutely nothing to do with iTunes dj. I stated that I am shocked people are so up in arms by apple wanting to add their own radio feature. It's a new feature. Don't like it? Don't use it. What's the point in whining about it, especially when, aside from a tentative name, we don't even know what it does or doesn't do?

I'm sorry your iTunes dj got taken away. Truth be told, I don't even know what that is and I've been using iOS since the beginning. Maybe it just wasn't something a lot of people used? Either way, sucks to have something get taken away from you. Such is the world of software these days.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:38 AM   #141
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816
 
RoastingPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal/NorCal
Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
yay forget pandora that thing sucks
__________________
Mac Pro 6 Core D700*, Retina 13 256gb/8gb 5000
RoastingPig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 01:45 PM   #142
jaymzuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I guess I just don't see why it has to be strictly better. It's a built in. Feature for iOS. Maybe that is actually their only goal?

But, I can think of a handful of ways they can compete.

1. Price point Apple generally doesn't compete on price outside of the legally dubious models where competitors are always charged the same or more
2. Ads (lack of) Spotify Premium has no ads
3. Offline play Spotify Premium has offline play
4. Allowing users to keep a few tracks a month Why would you need a few tracks when you have everything to hand for a pittance?
5. Full os integration (music app) It would need to be amazing to beat Spotify Premium
6. Streaming of actual radio stations So I can listen to ads, or music I don't want to listen to?

The last point I think is being overlooked. People claim "nobody listens to radio" anymore. I would beg to differ. If this were the case, we wouldn't have radio anymore, period. I have a couple different apps that I personally use for streaming radio, generally npr. I wouldn't mind for something like this to be built right into the os.

But the strangest thing of all about the yawning is we have no idea what apple is going to give us, and yet people are complaining that this would likely be useless. Well ok, I guess you all need something to complain about. I'm just shocked that its this.
The yawning is all because Apple are entering a marketing with established players offering feature complete services. I pay £10 a month for as music as I could possibly want, and public playlists, apps and radio features give me new music too.

So if and when Apple announce this iRadio service, in order to attract someone like me, it needs to fight on multiple fronts:
  • It needs to match all of the features of Spotify, Rdio and Pandora, while offering me something substantive over and above those services
  • Offer it at a very competitive price
  • It needs to be platform agnostic

The service needs to stand on it's own. The service has to be the cake, and iOS integration the icing on top of it. I can access and play my spotify content on practically any internet connected computer or smartphone, and with the aid of the Spotify apps (Which are well designed and functional), I can take it all offline for 30 days without having to reconnect. If iRadio doesn't do this and something significant over and above what i currently get, there is precisely no incentive for a big chunk of music lovers to switch.
jaymzuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 01:55 PM   #143
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT8064 View Post
Can't apple just buy Spotify?
Is spotify for sale? There are other things Apple has been wanted to buy. One of them was drop box. This is documented fact.

For some reason there is this assumption that just because a company has the money to buy soothing, and they want to buy that thing, that they will inevitably own it. Not all companies sell out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzuk View Post
The yawning is all because Apple are entering a marketing with established players offering feature complete services. I pay £10 a month for as music as I could possibly want, and public playlists, apps and radio features give me new music too.

So if and when Apple announce this iRadio service, in order to attract someone like me, it needs to fight on multiple fronts:
  • It needs to match all of the features of Spotify, Rdio and Pandora, while offering me something substantive over and above those services
  • Offer it at a very competitive price
  • It needs to be platform agnostic

The service needs to stand on it's own. The service has to be the cake, and iOS integration the icing on top of it. I can access and play my spotify content on practically any internet connected computer or smartphone, and with the aid of the Spotify apps (Which are well designed and functional), I can take it all offline for 30 days without having to reconnect. If iRadio doesn't do this and something significant over and above what i currently get, there is precisely no incentive for a big chunk of music lovers to switch.
You made it quite difficult to respond to your statement since you just added your own thoughts, in red, to my original quote. In short, a combination of ALL of that is what could make it compete. If you break down every little thing, on its own, sure, you can say "this or that service already has that". But if Apple gives us all of these points in one, elegantly built in product, then yes, I would say it can compete.

Also, I disagree with price point competition. Apple worked pretty hard, and they were pretty proud when they could offer the 3G (and onward) on contract for a much cheaper price. Apple phones, just like Android phones can be had for free, and go up from there, in most countries that allow contract subsidies.

You may not care about radio. That's fair. Plenty of people do enjoy radio. The fact that being able to stream radio is not a plus to YOU, doesn't mean nobody likes it. There are dedicated apps out there with millions of downloads that do just that.

But the biggest point, that I have repeated now three times... we don't even know what this service is going to be, and yet we are complaining. Find out what it is, decide you are disappointed, and then whine. Right now, all we know is a tentative title. Literally. That's it.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC