Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Bethesda, Maryland
Again, hoping I am in the right forum?

I am a newbie about web development.

Is TextEdit suitable as an HTML editor?

In doing a search of all MacRumors forum discussions, I found quite a lot of good information about the app for this purpose (which in sum was mostly not recommended for this use), but these helpful comments were from 2011 and back...so nothing that recent and nothing applicable since the version in Mt. Lion. So, any insights from other members is much appreciated.

Thanks.

manunited

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
I recommend Sublime Text 2.
You don't really need to buy the license. It just pops up asking if you want to buy it from time to time.
Great community developing plugins for pretty much any language and also check out the zencoding plugin for HTML.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Thanks...just looked it over...certainly the price is right! Follow on question now is will output from Textwrangle produce Markdown?

FYI, from the documentation for Textwrangler:

Syntax coloring and function navigation for ANSI C, C++, Fortran, Java, Object Pascal, Objective-C, Perl, Python, Rez, Ruby, Tcl, TeX, and Unix shell scripts

What's missing is PHP and Javascript/JQuery which might be of importance to you as many of us here use the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and coding using syntax coloring and command auto-complete/inline help is, well, wonderful for both newbies and gurus alike.

If this matters to you spend the $75.00 (after trial of course) for Coda which is excellent for LAMP and has a pleasing interface with thumbnails of each page at the top instead of tabs to switch between pages when editing. It also runs very well on a Mac unlike others which hog resources (Aptana, Komodo).

EricByer

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Just wanted to say that thanks a million for this thread and the Text Wrangler link.

Just started a really basic html assignment for a class I'm taking and TextEdit was a nightmare.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
+1 for coda

Sublime Text2 is fantastic, but lacked a couple of the features that I really need. Aptana, Netbeans, Eclipse are also pretty good.

I seem to be a Coda fanboy.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Well being a Mac forum, I'll put the plug in for MAMP, which is like LAMP but for Mac. :)

I purchased my copy but only because I wanted to have several projects/sites available at a time. Here is the URL to MAMP: http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html The personal version is free.

I will also 2nd Coda2 and TextWrangler. I use both when working on stuff depending on my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.