Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Just bought a base iMac a few days ago and noticed some inconsistencies in desktop wallpaper at the corners of the screen. Made the room as dark as possible and took three photos with iPod Touch 5 (if the quality of the camera is relevant). First photo is with iMac at quarter brightness, next at half brightness, and then at full brightness. Is this light leak, and is it bad enough to return? Thanks guys.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/quarterbrightness.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/halfbrightness.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/fullbrightness.jpg/

Last edited:

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Use the attachment option (paper clip) to upload your images. If you have semi circles of white/yellow areas on the edges of the screen than that is backlight bleeding. If you have inconsistent uniformity than you have yellow/pinkish/etc tints. If it bothers you then exchange it, otherwise, I personally would exchange it in a heartbeat since my profession requires color accuracy and uniformity.

mac82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for the help with the links Adam552.

A bit embarrassed to return as I have already returned five Retina MBPs (two 15"s and three 13"s) because of image retention to the same Apple store. This iMac was me giving up on ever finding a Retina MBP without image retention. Now when they see me coming I imagine they're thinking 'oh no, not this guy again'. Probably shouldn't feel bad about returning so many machines as it's Apple's fault for allowing defective products to leave the factory, but still.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't think that's defective, sorry. IPS larger panels display some washing out of the black-displayed corners in dark rooms when you're sitting in front of the display. If you move to the left or right when taking the image, you'll see it looks different.

My bet is if you exchange it you'll see the exact same thing on the next one. My late '09 27" iMac behaves similarly/the same. It has no effect on color etc (I do photography).

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
This is what worries me regarding my new imac!!

I had exactly the same issue with 2 iPads (3rd generation).
My 3rd replacement was a refurb. Even though I was told it was brand new. And the screen is perfect, no backlight bleed or yellowing at all!:eek:

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Often those who know more about this than I do will tell you that this is common until the polymer/adhesive that holds the screen in place dries, which can take a few weeks. That may explain why the refurb was OK.

mac82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
IPS larger panels display some washing out of the black-displayed corners in dark rooms when you're sitting in front of the display.

Thanks for the reply WilliamG. In a dark room it is very prominent, particularly in the lower right corner, and affects movie watching. Problem is, it's still noticeable even in a bright, daylight lit room. It does indeed alter in appearance as I move my head around.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
This is what worries me regarding my new imac!!

I had exactly the same issue with 2 iPads (3rd generation).
My 3rd replacement was a refurb. Even though I was told it was brand new. And the screen is perfect, no backlight bleed or yellowing at all!:eek:

It scares the hell out of me on my incoming 27" as well. If mine is this way it's going back the next day no questions asked. That's terrible.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks for the reply WilliamG. In a dark room it is very prominent, particularly in the lower right corner, and affects movie watching. Problem is, it's still noticeable even in a bright, daylight lit room. It does indeed alter in appearance as I move my head around.

I can see my light... variance (I hate to call mine leakage) of the IPS panel during the day, but only if my screen goes black. I've used colorimeters a lot, and there's no actual difference in "color" in those areas. During normal use (which of course isn't black), there's no issue.

I've used a lot of IPS panels, and I've never seen one that doesn't exhibit these issues. Whether it bothers people is very individual (e.g. panel variance - people yelling their screen is yellow etc).

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
walk into that apple store with out yours first. Goto the display models and try replicate the problem.

See if you can see the same thing on their models. if no then you know yours is faulty. if yes ask them about it and say yours is doing the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.