Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
kristenanne77
macrumors member

Monitor or TV set for my Mac mini? HDMI or DVI

I would like to get a larger monitor for my mini-mac.

Since the minimac output is hdmi, would it be wiser to get a TV set which also has the bounus of sound or just get a dvi-dvi cable to use with the included mini-mac adaptor and attach to a monitor with dvi connection?
I also noticed monitors that have hdmi, as well as TV sets that have DVI... gets confusing.

Thanks
k
kristenanne77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Get a monitor, not a TV.

Some monitors have speakers, so you can look for one of those if you want built-in speakers. Separate speakers almost always sound better than built-in speakers.

HDMI carries video and audio. DVI typically only carries video.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

The Thunderbolt port also acts as a Mini DisplayPort. Useful if you are getting a bigger monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini