Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I have a 27 inch 2012 imac computer and I wish to purchase an usb flash drive to use as a recovery backup for the Mountain Lion operating system.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what brands to get as well as what size drive to order (8 or 16 GB).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me with selecting an usb flash drive! :)

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Mountain Lion file size is a little over 4GB. So you'll want at least 8GB. I use Sandisk USB flash drives, never failed me once.

See here for more tips:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/create-a-bootable-mountain-lion-usb-key-installer/

Thanks for your quick reply! Would the "PNY 8GB Hook Flash Drive" be sufficient for my iMac computer?

Below is the link for the usb drive:

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple....icub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

Last edited:

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Yep :) The brand of the flash drive doesn't really matter too much - A flash drive is a relatively simple device, so in most cases they're all the same.

Does it make a difference if the speed of the usb flash drive is 2.0 or 3.0 as my iMac computer comes with 3.0 usb ports? Thanks! :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Does it make a difference if the speed of the usb flash drive is 2.0 or 3.0 as my iMac computer comes with 3.0 usb ports? Thanks! :)

If the Flash chips inside are the same speed it won't matter, btw, USB 2 is already much faster than most if not all USB flash memory sticks.

Edit: Experience Accelerated File Transfer and Backup

Up to 190MB/s which IS much faster than USB 2 can deliver.

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Thanks for your quick reply! Would the "PNY 8GB Hook Flash Drive" be sufficient for my iMac computer?

Below is the link for the usb drive:

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple....icub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

That's a USB 2.0 drive, ergo reinstalling the system will take ages. You would be better off with something like the LaCie RuggedKey.
RuggedKey_open.jpg

But, if you use it a lot and need sheer speed, the Mushkin Enhanced Ventura Plus is the fastest 16GB drive, the read speed is rated a little faster than the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0, then again if you want to repurpose it later, the SanDisk has faster write speeds and looks better.
61HvewbxpIL._SL1100_.jpg

mushkin_ventura_plus.jpg

Also, you know that your 2012 Mac has Internet Recovery if you press Command+R when turning on, which makes the USB stick obsolete, right? :)

Last edited:

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
That's a USB 2.0 drive, ergo reinstalling the system will take ages. You would be better off with something like the LaCie RuggedKey.
RuggedKey_open.jpg

But, if you use it a lot and need sheer speed, the Mushkin Enhanced Ventura Plus is the fastest 16GB drive, the read speed is rated a little faster than the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0, then again if you want to repurpose it later, the SanDisk has faster write speeds and looks better.
61HvewbxpIL._SL1100_.jpg

mushkin_ventura_plus.jpg

Also, you know that your 2012 Mac has Internet Recovery if you press Command+R when turning on, which makes the USB stick obsolete, right? :)

How long would usb 3 stick take vs internet recovery with 6mbps internet connection?

Nov 28, 2010
located
How long would usb 3 stick take vs internet recovery with 6mbps internet connection?

Even a USB 1 stick would be faster than that, but a USB 2.0 stick would definitely be faster, since you would have to download 4 GB via a 6 Mb/s line, which would take 1.5 hours to download. Even when I use my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installer from an external USB 2.0 HDD I can install in less than 30 minutes, sometimes 15 to 20 minutes I guess.

If the USB 3.0 stick would have flash modules that offer a significant speed, like 50 or 80 MB/s or even more, than a USB 3.0 stick would be quite good, but as USB 2.0 offers 35 MB/s already, it might be overkill for an installation medium.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Even a USB 1 stick would be faster than that, but a USB 2.0 stick would definitely be faster, since you would have to download 4 GB via a 6 Mb/s line, which would take 1.5 hours to download. Even when I use my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installer from an external USB 2.0 HDD I can install in less than 30 minutes, sometimes 15 to 20 minutes I guess.

If the USB 3.0 stick would have flash modules that offer a significant speed, like 50 or 80 MB/s or even more, than a USB 3.0 stick would be quite good, but as USB 2.0 offers 35 MB/s already, it might be overkill for an installation medium.

can I boot ML from the usb stick?

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
If it is properly formatted* and cloned, yes.
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone of either the installation medium or the actual OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion install onto the USB flash memory thumb drive.

thanks simsalad, i installed samsusng 840 iin my mac min 2012 but I messed something up and it didn't create fusion, Philipma1957 says a gotta erase to make osx thinks its broken in order to creat fusion drive

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
RuggedKey_open.jpg

61HvewbxpIL._SL1100_.jpg

mushkin_ventura_plus.jpg

option ????? upon startup lets me choose which drive to boot from?

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
CCC to USB stick slow?

CC cloner took 3hr to clone Osx 10.8.1 ML to my usb stick on my 2012 mnini. Normal? Does that mean its gonna take that long to copy it back to my SSD?

Nov 28, 2010
located
CC cloner took 3hr to clone Osx 10.8.1 ML to my usb stick on my 2012 mnini. Normal? Does that mean its gonna take that long to copy it back to my SSD?

It was most likely a USB stick with slow write speed, as doing the same with a USB HDD takes about ten minutes.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I've decided to go with a 3.0 usb flash drive, instead of the 2.0 version (to use as a recovery backup for the Mountain Lion OS) and would appreciate suggestions for an inexpensive option? Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.