Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
My new iPad 4 on iOS 6.1 is repeatedly auto-disconnecting from my home network randomly and repeatedly and will not auto-connect even when I turn off and on wireless again.

I have read many threads describing similar problem but have yet to find any of the proposed solutions working for me.

At this time, I am not sure if the problem is the iPad hardware itself or iOS 6.1.

One odd thing I find that I have not else described elsewhere is that, when the iPad loses network connection, a quick fix is to simply press the power button to go to the lock screen and then unlock immediately. This somehow triggers the Wi-Fi to auto-connect again.

Is this a hardware problem? I have a Linksys 4200 router on the latest firmware already.

Pleas help??

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
New info...

I have tried on a friend's router (also Linksys, however).

Same problem.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
At this time, I am not sure if the problem is the iPad hardware itself or iOS 6.1.

An easy test is to try various places that either aren't likely to have the same brand router or you know don't. Like say the local Apple store (which would be using their brand of routers).

If it works at those places that aren't using a Linksys them it could be that they need to update their firmware. Especially if it hasn't been updated since before iOS 6 came out or only right when it was (there have been 3 updates at this point, at least two of which addressed wifi issues and could have created incompatibility with firmware)

The suggestion to perhaps try an Apple airport router if possible isn't a bad one. Just be sure you check the return policy so if it fails to work you can return the unit if needed.

if you keep having issues in various locations (or even heck at home) it could also possibly be software related. try doing a reset of your network settings. it's under General in the settings app. You'll have to reselect all your known networks and put back in passwords but if it gets you back on line it's worth it.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
If the ipad on ios6 works on some routers and not with others then the issue might be the router itself.It's latest firmware needs to be ipv6 compatible or it won't work with ios6 devices.If the router already has the latest firmware but the ipad still has connection issues,then the solution might be getting a new router.Of course make sure you test it before you buy it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If the ipad on ios6 works on some routers and not with others then the issue might be the router itself.It's latest firmware needs to be ipv6 compatible or it won't work with ios6 devices.If the router already has the latest firmware but the ipad still has connection issues,then the solution might be getting a new router.Of course make sure you test it before you buy it.

Umm...no. IPV6 is not required. Also, how do you test a router before you buy it?

The issue is usually with 2.4 GHz routers. It requires you to swap out your iPad.
See here-> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519621/

An easy test is to try various places that either aren't likely to have the same brand router or you know don't. Like say the local Apple store (which would be using their brand of routers).

It's my understanding Apple doesn't use their own routers in store since they only support a max of 50 connections. Of course they could use multiple Extremes, but I doubt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.