Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
I am ripping my James Bond Blu Ray collection to iTunes using Handbrake and MakeMKV. I created the MKV with all available audio tracks. I'm using Handbrakes AppleTV 3 preset to get 1080p. Will this let me rip with the 5.1 audio and the audio commentary? Do I need to select all the audio tracts manually? How would I switch between the audio tracks. I tested the MKV in VLC player and switched between tracks perfectly but I'm not sure about M4Vs. I would like to make sure I get the settings correct before converting for 5 hours only to have to re do it again.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I am ripping my James Bond Blu Ray collection to iTunes using Handbrake and MakeMKV. I created the MKV with all available audio tracks. I'm using Handbrakes AppleTV 3 preset to get 1080p. Will this let me rip with the 5.1 audio and the audio commentary? Do I need to select all the audio tracts manually? How would I switch between the audio tracks. I tested the MKV in VLC player and switched between tracks perfectly but I'm not sure about M4Vs. I would like to make sure I get the settings correct before converting for 5 hours only to have to re do it again.

If you use the plain HB, you'll need to select all tracks manually. Therefore, I recommend using HandBrakeBatch ( http://www.osomac.com/apps/osx/handbrake-batch/ )

By default, it passes thru / transcodes all audio tracks. If you also want to automatically preserve all subtitle tracks in addition, go to Preferences and enable the "All available languages" radio button in the "Languages" tab:

hbb-alllangsubs.png

3, drag-and-drop your source files to the list

4, start converting.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
If you use the plain HB, you'll need to select all tracks manually. Therefore, I recommend using HandBrakeBatch ( http://www.osomac.com/apps/osx/handbrake-batch/ )

By default, it passes thru / transcodes all audio tracks. If you also want to automatically preserve all subtitle tracks in addition, go to Preferences and enable the "All available languages" radio button in the "Languages" tab:

3, drag-and-drop your source files to the list

4, start converting.

I am running Windows 7.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I too am wondering how to do this. I am also running windows 7. Also is there a program like Meta Cow for auto tagging the files and importing into iTunes for Windows 7?

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009

I've been using Handbrake to rip DVDs like this for a few years now, and it works great. I don't know if there is a way to automate it, but I just manually set up my audio tracks like this:

1: Main audio (AAC) for iOS etc. compatibility
2: Main audio (AC3 passthrough) - Main 5.1 audio track
3,4 etc.: Any commentaries/foreign language audio etc. (AAC)

I then use Subler to rename the audio tracks as required (there is probably a windows program that can do this - possibly MetaX). I usually use iTunes to play them, which gives you a option like this to change the audio:

hADmA.png

There is a similar option on the AppleTV (I sold mine a while ago, so can't remember exactly how to do it, but I think you just need to hold the middle button on the remote whilst the movie is playing).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
There is a similar option on the AppleTV (I sold mine a while ago, so can't remember exactly how to do it, but I think you just need to hold the middle button on the remote whilst the movie is playing).

Yup, middle button.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I too am wondering how to do this. I am also running windows 7. Also is there a program like Meta Cow for auto tagging the files and importing into iTunes for Windows 7?

I plan to publish an article series on video tools under Windows too. Not in the near future (1-2 weeks) though.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
I am using MetaX to tag everything. It searches a database for matches (usually ends up with 20 or so matches with varied results). Then I sort through the results and pick and choose the info I like from each result. (I can choose the artwork from one but the chapters, actors, ect. from other results). It takes me about 2 min to tag each one because I like to have the most detailed tags I can get. If I don't like the art I can find my own online and add it through MetaX. I wouldn't like a fully automatic tagger as I like to verify the correct info writes to each file.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
I found on Handbrake where I can select all the audio tracks so that i can keep the 5.1, 2.0, and audio commentary all in the same mp4.
I see that I can manually lable each of these tracks using handbrake. My question now is...How do I tell which audio track is which?
How do I tell which 5.1 is the commentary? I am assuming the higher bitrate is the main movie audio.
What is the 1.0 audio???

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
Ok. I was wrong. The bitrates are all the same. The 2 channel is the commentary. The 1 channel is the 2.0 track?? So why do I have 2 5.1 tracks?

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
I've been working on some blurays the past couple days and notice when I RIP them that there are 2 5.1 tracks in english. I'm not sure why this is. I usually go with the 1st track and haven't had any issues yet.

Anyone know why some discs have 2 English 5.1 tracks?

I'm also curious why some discs will have 2 identically sized video files. I usually go with the 1st one.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Ok. I was wrong. The bitrates are all the same. The 2 channel is the commentary. The 1 channel is the 2.0 track?? So why do I have 2 5.1 tracks?

You dont; that is showing you that it will use the 5.1 source to generate a 2.0 stereo track for compatibility, and a 5.1 AC3 (Dolby Digital) for devices that can output it. The mono and stereo tracks could be two different commentaries, or something else entirely (for example, if the original soundtrack was mixed mono, they could have included it on the Bluray for the purists who want to experience it how it was presented in the theaters).

DominusDeus

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Looking for a quick bit of help (and sorry for the thread bump). I am also converting my BluRay and DVD collection for use on my iPad 3 and Apple TV 3. Using Windows 7, MakeMKV and Handbrake (along with the necessary stuff for subtitles). Got the video and subtitles down pat but the issue I'm having is in having audio in both 5.1 and stereo. I have Inglorious Basterds on my iPad right now, but no audio at all. Obviously, I've chosen a wrong option on HandBrake.

I think I read that 5.1 has to be the second audio track? At any rate, which choices do I need to use (and which order) to encode my movies with 5.1 and stereo for playback on all my devices (which are, again, 3rd gen AppleTV and iPad)?

Expanding on that, my Monty Python & The Holy Grail BluRay. If there is a specific order to the audio tracks, way are they to keep 5.1 and stereo English AND stereo Japanese (for s&g)?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Looking for a quick bit of help (and sorry for the thread bump). I am also converting my BluRay and DVD collection for use on my iPad 3 and Apple TV 3. Using Windows 7, MakeMKV and Handbrake (along with the necessary stuff for subtitles). Got the video and subtitles down pat but the issue I'm having is in having audio in both 5.1 and stereo. I have Inglorious Basterds on my iPad right now, but no audio at all. Obviously, I've chosen a wrong option on HandBrake.

I think I read that 5.1 has to be the second audio track? At any rate, which choices do I need to use (and which order) to encode my movies with 5.1 and stereo for playback on all my devices (which are, again, 3rd gen AppleTV and iPad)?

You leave the first track down sampled to DDII (for use with your iPad). The second track is the same as the first, but you either use passthru or 6 channel discrete (depend on the the source track). You can select more tracks if you want, but they may not all work depending on the iDevice you are using. To select the different tracks on the ATV, see below.

This still work? or it changed? When I hold down middle button now it either pauses it or brings up the chapter selector.

And this is how it should work, unless your media file has additional audio/subtitle tracks the ATV recognizes. If it does, you'll see more options to choose from.

HTH

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
This still work? or it changed? When I hold down middle button now it either pauses it or brings up the chapter selector.

It works. You have to hold the middle button and it'll bring up the chapter selection. And, if you notice, there will be other tabs at the top. Press the right/left buttons to access Subtitles and Audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.