Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Personally I don't think they are charging the responsible party with enough. Ariel Castro should be charged with torture. Ten years? Rape? Starvation? Physical Abuse?

Charge that bro with torture and execute him.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yep, rapists and child molesters are known to have a bad time behind bars...

If I understand correctly, and I am not in corrections...so take this for what it's worth, child molester, and abusers, usually spend thier time in segregation. That's 23 hours a day, one hour in isolated exercise yard in a cage, and for all practical purposes have no contact with anyone but the CO's.

As you can imagine, they tend to go batty with that level of social isolation.

Life expectancy in general population is measured in minutes.

I'm not so sure about rapists...that's not looked upon as badly as child molestation, as many of the prisoners have children, but many have no problem with raping women.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Why? Bail is simply to ensure that someone, whose guilt has yet to be determined, makes it to court. Bail is not a punishment.

Bail is not a guarantee. I think this crime was egregious enough coupled with the risk of flight that bail should have been denied.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Bail is not a guarantee. I think this crime was egregious enough coupled with the risk of flight that bail should have been denied.

I agree with this, but I also think that's probably why bail is 8 million. You know he doesn't have the money for that. Its intentional.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Personally I don't think they are charging the responsible party with enough. Ariel Castro should be charged with torture. Ten years? Rape? Starvation? Physical Abuse?

The police have already stated that more charges will be forthcoming as they continue their investigation and uncover more of the facts.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

Along with half the guards that worked in gunatanamo bay yeah?

Not being an apologist for castra, guy should spend his entire life in prison, but executing someone is against every moral fibre I have.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Interesting article on CNN, a interview with Castro's daughter. She visited him while he had the 3 captives and there was this little ritual he'd go through to prepare for visitors, like make a sign through the window to wait, then after some time, she was let in the back door. Once inside, he kept music on loud and discouraged her from visiting her childhood bedroom.

The feeling of shame to be an immediate relative associated with a family member accused of heinous crimes, first the Boston bombers, now this.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Interesting article on CNN, a interview with Castro's daughter. She visited him while he had the 3 captives and there was this little ritual he'd go through to prepare for visitors, like make a sign through the window to wait, then after some time, she we let in the back door. Once inside, he kept music on loud and discouraged her from visiting her childhood bedroom.

The feeling of shame to be an immediate relative associated with a family member accused of heinous crimes, first the Boston bombers, now this.

You might have to wonder though, why didn't she press the issue of the weirdness going on? I just wonder.

For me, I would quickly change my name and never speak to the media.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You might have to wonder though, why didn't she press the issue of the weirdness going on? I just wonder.

For me, I would quickly change my name and never speak to the media.

Some general thoughts-
They interviewed neighbors on the street who all basically said similar things "in hind sight"... But this is an America that believes in individual freedoms, right? Maybe not as much today as 30 years ago, but if someone wants to board their house up tight, should the police be allowed to search the house? Is this an eccentric/fearful person or a serial kidnapper, or worse?

I'm not that familiar with the intricacies of civil rights, but if someone reports you as being strange, I don't think it would be out of line for a policeman to come to your door and ask you if things were ok. But if the target is a sociopath, used to lying, they would probably be able to field all the questions successfully. What would be the next step for authorities? The only solution for a case like this would be to allow police to invade citizens homes based on suspicions. I don't think this is a place we as a country want to go.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
...Once inside, he kept music on loud and discouraged her from visiting her childhood bedroom.

Not to mention the creepy feeling one must get from knowing what your old bedroom was now being used for...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I think the prosecutor said it best:

"These degenerate molesters are cowards," Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said in a statement. "They con and capture vulnerable children. This man couldn't take, for even a month, a small portion of what he had dished out for more than a decade."

Good riddance to this scumbag.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think the prosecutor said it best:

Good riddance to this scumbag.
The dude got off easy, he took the easy way out buy killing himself. They should have watched him closer and really made him suffer in prison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.