Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Hi everybody,

I am the developer of Hypnos, a small OSX app, which can shut down, restart, sleep etc. your Mac after predetermined period of time or number of tracks. It is the only app on the Mac App Store that can shut down or restart the Mac automatically. I use it to listen to music from iTunes while falling asleep.
Because of app sandboxing the user needs to download two AppleScripts from my website for the shut down and restart functionality. The two AppleScripts have to be put in the ~/Library/Application Scripts/… directory. In the download included is an alias, which points to that specific folder.
What do you think? Is that something that is too much for an average Mac user?
If you like you can try it out by using the promo codes for my app: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16851497#post16851497

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Hypnos 5.2.3 is out!

A new version of Hypnos is out (5.2.3) and brings bug fixes and several improvements.

It fixes a bug, where Hypnos did not shut down or restart the Mac after the counter reached zero tracks.

Let me know, if Hypnos works again as it should or if you encounter other problems.

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Hypnos 5.2.4 available on the Mac App Store

Hypnos 5.2.4 fixes a problem with iCloud and HypnosRemote, the iOS companion to Hypnos.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
No replies? I think this is pretty darned cool! On the weekends I'll usually fall asleep with my headphones on, sometimes it's kinda freaky to be half asleep wondering who this guy singing into my ear is lol :).

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Yeah, I had the same problem with my iPhone listening to music, at the time when the timer of iOS was not able to stop the music playback.
Did you know that I made an iOS app that can control Hypnos on the Mac? You can setup Hypnos on the Mac and start it then from everywhere (for example from your bed) over iCloud with HypnosRemote. The app is available on the App Store for free. Pretty cool, huh? :)

Last edited:

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Is Hypnos still in development? There are some incompatibilities with Yosemite and iOS8. Can we expect an updated Hypnos(Remote) builds in near future?

Thank you!

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Thanks for your message! Yes, as soon as Mac OS X Yosemite was released officially by Apple, GuguSoft will release a compatibility update to both apps.

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Thank you for your answer! Glad to see, that Hypnos is still in development. Note, please, that Hypnos iOS companion need to be updated as well: it does not seems to work in iOS 8...

Thanks!

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
GuguSoft has submitted the compatibility updates of Hypnos for Mac and iOS to Apple for review, yesterday. Let us know if the new versions run without problems or not. Thank you for your support!

Gugulino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Both updates for Hypnos and Hypnos Remote are now available on the App Store. They should now run without problems on Mac OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, respectively. If you should encounter some bugs, please post back here.

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Hello!

Thank you for updating the apps for Yosemite compatibility. There are several feature requests for both Hypnos and Hypnos Remote though.

Hypnos:
1. Can you, please, add a menu ‘Show Hypnos window’ to the pop up menu which appears on clicking on the Hypnos icon in the menu bar?
2. Can you, please, add an option to show/hide the Hypnos icon from the dock, when app is running?

Hypnos Remote:
1. Can you, please, add a functionality to change the ‘Songs left/Time left’ values in Hypnos Remote? This is the main usage of the remote app: to set the desired time and start the Hypnos app…
If this request is too difficult to implement, maybe it is possible to implement a quick set of predefined times/songs which can be changed from Hypnos Remote: say, 15, 30, 45 mins/ 5, 10, 15 songs?

Can we discuss these feature requests here?

Thank you!

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Was trying to reach the developer using the email address pointed in the docs, but received an permanent error:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

gugu@gugusoft.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gugusoft.com by mx2.mail.hostpoint.ch. [217.26.49.139].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 no such address here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.