Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texiebird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Australia
I am new to Mac & I have a new MacBook Pro (may2012). I also have a JVC camcorder HD Everio (dec2011)
I am trying to upload the video recordings from the camera to the mac.
I can upload the photos to iphoto, but cannot see the video in iMovie, and iMovie does not seem to recognise the camcorder as a device.
I really hope someone can help me please.
thank you

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
You need to go to Apple support section and see if your camcorder is supported. Also Check the JVC web page for support.
If it downloads photos you must be doing something wrong. What version of iMovie do you have.
:apple:

Texiebird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Australia
Thank you so much for your reply daybreak. I will go to those support pages & see what they suggest.
My Macbook is not even 6 months old, so iMovie must be 2012 version?
My camcorder takes still photos too, so I thought it was a positive thing that the still photos were easily uploaded into iPhoto....it is the video recordings I cannot detect.
I will go investigate.
Thanks

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Open iMovie and go to preference and see what version you got. Also it is not a good idea to store video or photo's on your computer. In a very short space of time it will slow things down.
Try this.
Open iMovie and go to the import section. See if your camcorder is in the Event section. Open New Event and see if you video loads before pressing import.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... In a very short space of time it will slow things down.
Storing video cannot in and of itself slow your computer. Having insufficient free hard drive capacity can slow things down. The reason that storing video on your hard drive in a short space of time slows thing down is that the stored video consumes hard drive capacity. Eventually, it drops the free capacity below the threshold that allows the virtual memory system to operate properly.

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Have you tried taking out the SD card and importing directly from the card? What is the format of the video?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.