Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingelsefl View Post
I like Dropbox...but I wish they would just take the leap and start to distribute through the Mac App store. Say what you want about the Mac App store, but it has definitely made updates easier.
I disagree entirely. I don't know if it's just me, but I am usually always notified when an app has an update. A window just pops up and tells me Hey, there's an update!

But if I get it from the App Store, I have no idea there's an update unless I load the store. And I do not want that icon in my dock, because I prefer to reserve it for important apps I actually use more than once in a while.
Pakaku is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:37 PM   #27
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Simply the best solution out there, and I've tried many of them. Plus with more iOS apps using DB, it's even better.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:43 PM   #28
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
Ho hum, fairly minor update and I hate how there's no way to force an update from the app (Dropbox rolls out update very slowly, sometimes taking about a month).

At the very least, I would like to be able to set any folder as Dropbox folder.
My Dropbox was updated automatically today. I just noticed because I saw this news report. Yesterday I still had the old version.
KALLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:47 PM   #29
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Is anyone else curious about what is in the preview document behind the dropbox dropdown?
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:25 PM   #30
edenwaith
macrumors 6502a

Dropbox + MAS

That wouldn't happen unless Dropbox removed a lot of the functionality of the Mac client. Dropbox injects its own custom plug-in into the Finder so it can add custom context menus, badges and Finder window menu.

Quote:
I like Dropbox...but I wish they would just take the leap and start to distribute through the Mac App store. Say what you want about the Mac App store, but it has definitely made updates easier.

Take Evernote for example. Their service has only improved once they entered the App Store...and updates are just that much easier.
edenwaith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:33 PM   #31
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
My Dropbox was updated automatically today. I just noticed because I saw this news report. Yesterday I still had the old version.
Sometimes you get lucky and get the latest version right away. But as Dropbox's help center article points out, the update can take several weeks:
Quote:
If you don't have the latest version yet, don't worry! Auto-upgrades are rolled out over the course of several weeks after a new update is available. We're very conservative about auto-updating. We never want to risk breaking a working version of Dropbox.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:17 PM   #32
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Take Evernote for example. Their service has only improved once they entered the App Store...and updates are just that much easier.
Dropbox updates easily enough for me. In fact, I thought it updated itself automatically in the background if you checked the option, but I can't seem to find that now, so I don't know if I made that up or not.

As for the App Store, I assume the requirements are too "sandboxy" for Dropbox to support all it currently does--e.g., Finder icon overlays (not sure, but I suspect they aren't supported), and so on. TextWranger and other apps have gotten around this by offering the user the option to download an additional installer (e.g., for the command-line tools and other things that aren't App-Store-safe), but that hardly makes it more convenient.

Plus, I don't doubt that Apple would reject it for providing iCloud-like functionality anyway...
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:41 PM   #33
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwaith View Post
That wouldn't happen unless Dropbox removed a lot of the functionality of the Mac client. Dropbox injects its own custom plug-in into the Finder so it can add custom context menus, badges and Finder window menu.
Good point. I guess I'm ok with them staying out of the App Store for now. I just really miss my iDisk. Haha
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:25 AM   #34
dakwar
macrumors 6502

I don't like the new behaviour of the menu bar icon.

It deviates from the default behaviour of the other menu bar icons (by being a drop down bubble as opposed to a solid ribbon) AND it hides the important info (% used, GB available, Preferences, Quit Dropbox) behind a second click. I wish there were a way to change its look back to version 1.6's.
dakwar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Now if they can just add the photo albums feature to the iOS app like they have on Android, I'd be happy. I can create photo albums on the desktop browser, so I'm THIS close to dropping iPhoto for good.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:52 AM   #36
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakwar View Post

It deviates from the default behaviour of the other menu bar icons (by being a drop down bubble as opposed to a solid ribbon) AND it hides the important info (% used, GB available, Preferences, Quit Dropbox) behind a second click. I wish there were a way to change its look back to version 1.6's.
Agreed. The previous look and feel made it seem like Dropbox was just a missing part of OS X — now it calls a lot more attention to itself. The real beauty of Dropbox, as far as I'm concerned, is how much you don't have to think about it.
curmudgeon32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:10 AM   #37
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
I disagree entirely. I don't know if it's just me, but I am usually always notified when an app has an update. A window just pops up and tells me Hey, there's an update!

But if I get it from the App Store, I have no idea there's an update unless I load the store. And I do not want that icon in my dock, because I prefer to reserve it for important apps I actually use more than once in a while.
really? i never received such notification from dropbox. this is the first time i actually realised they updated their client!!! i am running v1.6.16!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakwar View Post

....too late to read it :s now i want to go back for the same reason..
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:09 AM   #38
thisMRguy
macrumors newbie

I never downloaded this new dropbox, and now I'm running 2.0,
thisMRguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #39
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Does anyone actually pay for this service?
Yes, 9.99 for 100GB. It's excellent and works seamlessly across my Mac's, PC's & iPhone.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasan View Post
really? i never received such notification from dropbox. this is the first time i actually realised they updated their client!!! i am running v1.6.16!!!
Well, no, I didn't receive an update notice either. But my point was I never get a notice if it's installed from the Mac App Store. If it's downloaded from elsewhere, usually the developers are kind enough to include an update notification system, since that's how it was done before the Mac App Store existed...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:28 AM   #41
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Well, no, I didn't receive an update notice either. But my point was I never get a notice if it's installed from the Mac App Store. If it's downloaded from elsewhere, usually the developers are kind enough to include an update notification system, since that's how it was done before the Mac App Store existed...
i see, i manually installed 2.0 and started looking for a downgrade in 5 minutes
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 06:00 PM   #42
blewvelvet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteSure View Post
I use Dropbox with Chronosync and get the occasional white space conflict when I sync. Will this update solve that problem pretty please?
Apparently not. I have the same frustrating problem. Every time it syncs some files create hundreds of white sync conflicts..meanwhile...the name of the file has not changed.

I wish they would fix this...I also wish they would offer a version of DROPBOX where the file only goes UP to your folders...not syncing back down till you say..YES...go sync this device.
blewvelvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion