Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterjmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
i bought my ipad 3 refurb 3 weeks back, had a problem with it, and got it exchanged 2 weeks ago. but i think i want to replace it with a 4th gen. i am outside the return 14 day period but have spoken to apple who have said i can return it for a full refund and buy the ipad 4.

Unsure what to do..the ipad 3 does seem slower on wifi compared to my ipad 2...Is it worth making it future proof as i cannot see me ever buying an ipad again unless it breaks. i do like speed but i dont video edit or do hardcore gaming on it!

Is the speed noticeable on the ipad 4 compared to 3. on wifi and general usage or should i keep the ipad 3 and the £130 i have saved.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Get the iPad 4. Like myself, you seem like one who would suffer from buyer's remorse. Therefore, if I were in your shoes, I would buy the most current iPad available. Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself for not upgrading once you are beyond the extended return period Apple gave you.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
This is just me, but I'm betting that the next version of the iPad will use IGZO display technology which will make the full-size iPad noticably thinner and lighter. So I'm looking around for a good deal on an iPad 3 while I have for the next version of the iPad which I think will be release sometime next year between July and October.

With that said, it sounds to me like you would be happier with the iPad 4. The iPad 4 uses the current lightning connector and has the A6 chip in it. I think you can expect Apple to support the operating system for at least three years.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I am thinking about buying a refurbished iPad 3 64GB WIFI + CELLULAR myself.
What are your experiences?
Do refurbished iPads have scratches? Or do they look like new iPads?
Do they come in the original white box?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I am thinking about buying a refurbished iPad 3 64GB WIFI + CELLULAR myself.
What are your experiences?
Do refurbished iPads have scratches? Or do they look like new iPads?
Do they come in the original white box?

No, they replace the outer shell so it looks entirely brand new. They also replace the battery.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's a tough call. 130 quid hey? If money is tight, be content with what you have and focus on other things in life. If you could throw 130 to the wind and not even notice it disappearing then spring for it.

Something I like to do in your situation is watch everything I buy, not buy it and put it into a jar until it adds up to 130. If I saved money on a dinner, some Starbucks, a couple beers and did well to save it, I then make the choice if it is worth it. You're in a time sensitive spot though so you'll need to know your own finances and make the call you will be happy with.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
i bought my ipad 3 refurb 3 weeks back, had a problem with it, and got it exchanged 2 weeks ago. but i think i want to replace it with a 4th gen. i am outside the return 14 day period but have spoken to apple who have said i can return it for a full refund and buy the ipad 4.

Unsure what to do..the ipad 3 does seem slower on wifi compared to my ipad 2...Is it worth making it future proof as i cannot see me ever buying an ipad again unless it breaks. i do like speed but i dont video edit or do hardcore gaming on it!

Is the speed noticeable on the ipad 4 compared to 3. on wifi and general usage or should i keep the ipad 3 and the £130 i have saved.

I was in the same situation as you. Had the ipad 2. Then upgraded to the 3. Was able to upgrade to the 4. The 4 is faster, wifi is also faster and battery life is improved over the 3. The ipad 4 will last you longer, updates will be support longer and a higher resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.